Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Big Oliver > Little Oliver

I predict that down the road beginning in 2 years Oliver and Maple will be in the finals for 145.5 on the world freestyle team. I don't see anyone else being at their level. If i have to bet Maple wins because he is a little bigger and quicker than Oliver. I would make sure i was there in person to see the best 2 out of 3.

7 first period TDs against Minny's starter?? He needs to be put behind bars.
"Starter." Their real starter is Ness, and we will likely see tomorrow if Oliver can pull off 7 first period takedowns aagainst Ness.

I would highly doubt it, but he may.

Quite an oversight an my part.

It looks like the most popular game plan against Oliver is to run for your life and play the edge. Seems like JO gets frustrated because his opponents won't wrestle. Villalonga should be lacing up his track shoes right about now before the Scuffle semi. His cradle is not as effective at 149. His opponents look stronger than JO but then he will do things that show his great strength so I am kind of surprised that his cradle does not work. I expect Oliver will develope a good turn on top before the end of the year.

I'm at the Scuffle and he looks dominating. He seems to be on a mission and I'm sure the loss in the finals helped him more for this year maybe than if he had gotten the 2 at the end and claimed his 2nd title.

Question: Is he deserving to be on the cover of The Beast in Des Moines if Dake loses in the finals tonight in Chattanooga?

We're open to your thoughts and opinions. Thanks,

www.thebeast.biz

Dane Ulrich

IMHO - Yes. I believe that Oliver is THE most well rounded, technically sound wrestler in the NCAA. He is proficient in every position and has the most varied offensive attacks on his feet. He is fun to watch because you can't predict what he will hit next. You already know how most of the top guys will win. Taylor will get a ankle pick on his feet and turn you with tilts. Dake will counter your offense on your feet and ride that claw parallel for 5 min. Ruth will take you down with stuff that you could never teach and pin with cradle. Oliver will double,drag, pic, duck,slide, single, snatch and tilt bar and cradle.

JO is great and certainly deserving of many covers but he has not shown it as consistently as Dake. Dake has won every big college match he's wrestled, JO...hasn't. Doesn't mean he isn't incredible, just that if it's him vs. Dake for cover, Dake gets the nod. Now if DT beats him in the finals of the Scuffle we have a completely new situation! Will reply back tonight after some great wrestling!

JO is great and certainly deserving of many covers but he has not shown it as consistently as Dake. Dake has won every big college match he's wrestled, JO...hasn't. Doesn't mean he isn't incredible, just that if it's him vs. Dake for cover, Dake gets the nod. Now if DT beats him in the finals of the Scuffle we have a completely new situation! Will reply back tonight after some great wrestling!

+1

IF DT beats Dake in the finals of the Scuffle, put both DT and Dake on the cover!

Oliver is wrestling very well. However, Dake is 3-0 in finals matches at the NCAA tourney. That, alone, should get him on the cover (or a possible shared cover ;) ) over a 4,1,2 finisher at the same tournies (which are great results, just not 1,1,1).

Cover of The Beast....no. JO is a stud but he did lose last year, twice. Also, he isnt riding as well against these bigger opponents at 149. At 133 he could impose his will on top due to his size/strength, not the case at 149. He is still beating the snot out of them but its mainly on his feet. Plus he just had a tough fought 12-6 decision against a PSU backup at the scuffle, so... there are better candidates for the cover (Ruth, Taylor, Dake...)