Sign in to follow this  
Realisticfan

Scuffle commentators shouldn't

Do what I did and contact flo. Tell them these idiots don't belong on the air. If enough people do it Martin will respond. They got past the whole "dude we are stoned all the time" vibe because they knew it would hurt viewership. Stopped doing cribs episodes that showed Herbert's bong. They will evolve.

The characters fret well and roper play are stereotypes. They are funny for a few minutes. That time has passed. They ruin any broadcast they cover with their inside jokes and humor that appeals to the lowest common denominator. About 13 people watch their previews all the way through they are so idiotic.

They will be gone soon

My own feeling is it's a generational thing.

These guys appeal to a younger sensibility. And there's nothing wrong with that IMHO altho' it may rub the "purists" the wrong way. Bottom line is the sport's gotta' grow and Flo. is playing an important role. I remember when the only access I had to wrestling was VHS cassettes from Iowa Public Television.

Kind of reminds me of Chris Berman on ESPN in the early days, bringing a totally different vibe from what you'd get with Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier on Sundays.

My own feeling is it's a generational thing.

These guys appeal to a younger sensibility. And there's nothing wrong with that IMHO altho' it may rub the "purists" the wrong way. Bottom line is the sport's gotta' grow and Flo. is playing an important role. I remember when the only access I had to wrestling was VHS cassettes from Iowa Public Television.

Kind of reminds me of Chris Berman on ESPN in the early days, bringing a totally different vibe from what you'd get with Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier on Sundays.

It is offensive.

I get it, they are from the South. Maybe they can open for Larry the Cable guy someday. Just get them off flo.

find it interesting that this morning the ppl commenting are saying it is great when people last night when the people who paid for the service were on were all saying how they didnt like it.

i guess the people who are watching the matches without paying for them want nothing to change with flo

flo - get professional you can still have fun and be hip look at espn they are totally professional and they are known as the hip source for sports news but you are just filled with idiots that look like they are hungover or strungout half the time

Anyone find the guest kid announcing painful to listen to?

I can't believe they let him stay on for so long. That was annoying as can be. But it sounds like I am in the minority when I say I actually enjoy the exciting nature of flo's commentating (though it can get a bit loud at times).

You won't ever, EVER hear HokieToph complain about commentating/audio of a wrestling match when a video stream of a wrestling match is being provided to me ... particularly of a match that is compelling and that there is no other way that I would see it. No sir. I'm as thankful as a wrestler making weight for the final time in a tournament.

I guess I better acknowledge that I was initially talking about the voices that could be heard on air. I would guess that they were not the commentators but a couple men sitting close that could be heard. They did seem to be in the know since they made many references such as, "when I talked to Gable", or "Cael said" etc. Sorry, I didn't mean to demean the commentators, I just assumed it was them talking at the time. Thinking back, these two never addressed any of the matches during that time period. If it was media personnel, like posted above, it was very unprofessional.

not exactly sure of why this is "very unprofessional", as it seems as though they were simply having a private conversation. What am I missing here!

I think what is happening is more of a "sour grapes" scenario of complaints about FLO as a result of the monetization of the site. We can all agree that we love everything that FLO has done for the sport of wrestling. They have brought more content to young wrestlers, coaches, and fans than ever before and did it for years before charging any fees for it.

Does the commentary become sophomoric at times...Yes, but at the heart of it is a genuine passion for the sport that we all love! So you're telling me that you've never yelled "OHHHH!!!" or "TWOOOO!!!" at a match during an exciting point? WE ALL HAVE. Now I understand that some people would like to hear a match called as though it were an ESPN broadcast, but I'll disagree. I'll take Gus Johnson (CBS Sports) bc of the passion he displays on the mic.

Look on the bright side guys.....No matter which opinion you have about the FLO commentary, we ALL can agree it's 1000% better than the student announcers they put on 95% of the time on BTN.

"I don't understand why he isn't getting the 2 points from the ref for the repeated takedowns..." - BTN Student wondering why 2pt TD not awarded for bringing bottom man back to mat after stand up attempts.

For my money, there is no one better at covering a wrestling match for a wrestling audience than Fretwell. He is accurate in describing what he is seeing, he doesn't dumb down the action (like B1G/ESPN), and he knows all the wrestlers and how they wrestle. Beyond that, I find him entertaining too. I only wish he did this full-time.

Everyone else (on flow or elsewhere) does fine. I'm not going to complain - I remember when there was a sometimes monthly USAW mag as my only source of content. Although, the student produced stuff on B1G is sometimes painful. I have to drink to get through those broadcasts.

The guys from FLO are more fun than the Alton twins at Happy Hour! And I'm cool with that even if I am a grumpy old man.

Here's some suggestions that I believe would make the FLO coverage rival that of ESPN and the Big Ten Network coverage: without losing the younger fanbase they want.

1) Mute the open mics, the comments that were over heard is what kicked off this thread to start with.

2) For every wrestler that steps on the mat give the following stats as the minimum:

a. College, year in school,

b. Win Loss record (if they are 34 and 2, who are the 2 defeats),

c. other titles won ( 2x NY state champ ) ,

d. maybe high school/hometown (fans have "bragging rights" when their hometown or area is mentioned) ,

e.Do they have a brother coming up, or was their Dad their HS coach..

f.. Maybe their college major and other trivia/interest.

3) How much would it cost to make a nice looking backdrop/interview area with the FLO wrestling logo and their sponsors logos (it's all about the $ponsors),

instead of seeing bleachers in the background.

4) I'm a bluejean and tee shirt guy myself, but I get alot more notice and respect when I throw on a decent sport jacket on (even over a tee) when doing bussiness with people.. I'd bet that instead of seeing Coach John Smith walking past in the background, he'd be more willing to stop by give a quick interview.

To sum it all up, with the new software and graphics which allow fans to switch from mat to mat, and the outstanding camera work, the fun loving guys now doing the audio could take FLO

over the top with only a few minor changes.

Also, IMO; Some of the comments made toward the hard working guys at FLO really were not needed and certainly does not help promote the sport we all love.

The guys from FLO are more fun than the Alton twins at Happy Hour! And I'm cool with that even if I am a grumpy old man.

Here's some suggestions that I believe would make the FLO coverage rival that of ESPN and the Big Ten Network coverage: without losing the younger fanbase they want.

1) Mute the open mics, the comments that were over heard is what kicked off this thread to start with.

2) For every wrestler that steps on the mat give the following stats as the minimum:

a. College, year in school,

b. Win Loss record (if they are 34 and 2, who are the 2 defeats),

c. other titles won ( 2x NY state champ ) ,

d. maybe high school/hometown (fans have "bragging rights" when their hometown or area is mentioned) ,

e.Do they have a brother coming up, or was their Dad their HS coach..

f.. Maybe their college major and other trivia/interest.

3) How much would it cost to make a nice looking backdrop/interview area with the FLO wrestling logo and their sponsors logos (it's all about the $ponsors),

instead of seeing bleachers in the background.

4) I'm a bluejean and tee shirt guy myself, but I get alot more notice and respect when I throw on a decent sport jacket on (even over a tee) when doing bussiness with people.. I'd bet that instead of seeing Coach John Smith walking past in the background, he'd be more willing to stop by give a quick interview.

To sum it all up, with the new software and graphics which allow fans to switch from mat to mat, and the outstanding camera work, the fun loving guys now doing the audio could take FLO

over the top with only a few minor changes.

Also, IMO; Some of the comments made toward the hard working guys at FLO really were not needed and certainly does not help promote the sport we all love.

Are you proposing to dig up all this info for the announcers next time?

I think what is happening is more of a "sour grapes" scenario of complaints about FLO as a result of the monetization of the site.

There were these complaints way before the monetization of the website. They were there in the beginning with Martin's "commentary" aka shouting and screaming. I believe most this is against one particular announcer who does a great job other than the screaming and shouting.

Flo does a great job, but still needs to work on the announcing part of the production.