Sign in to follow this  
LkwdSteve

Ohio State wrestle offs

Wow. I thought it would be close. Looks like Micah is ready despite the monster cut.

I do believe that Micah is going to be a beast, but how in the world does this result prove anything?  Keyshawn is nothing more than a high profile prospect at this point.

I do believe that Micah is going to be a beast, but how in the world does this result prove anything?  Keyshawn is nothing more than a high profile prospect at this point.

Settle down. I never said he was going to win nationals. I merely stated what I thought was pretty obvious: Micah is ready for 141 lbs. Many, me included, doubted how competitive he'd be after such a big cut, and this result, before the season even started, proves he is capable of wrestling at a very high level despite a very tough cut that I thought would cripple him.

Also, Hayes is not only a high profile prospect but also a very good wrestler with a solid tank. To nearly tech him after cutting to 141 after wrestling mostly 157 just a year ago is making a statement.

It's probably a combination of a slow start for Courts and rapid progression by Rozema.

Rozema has shown continuous improvement. Per his tOSU bio, Rozema was a 108-46 wrestler in Wyoming, only placing 4th at states. Not exactly top 100 recruit material. Then he took a redshirt at tOSU and failed to place in any of the open tournaments he entered. Then last year, as a RS frosh, he went 13-6, pretty respectable for a guy with his background, and placed 3rd in one open. Now he beat Courts. A shocker of an upset, but you have to give Rozema a good amount of the credit regardless.

It's probably a combination of a slow start for Courts and rapid progression by Rozema.

Rozema has shown continuous improvement. Per his tOSU bio, Rozema was a 108-46 wrestler in Wyoming, only placing 4th at states. Not exactly top 100 recruit material. Then he took a redshirt at tOSU and failed to place in any of the open tournaments he entered. Then last year, as a RS frosh, he went 13-6, pretty respectable for a guy with his background, and placed 3rd in one open. Now he beat Courts. A shocker of an upset, but you have to give Rozema a good amount of the credit regardless.

Good stuff. His progress is impressive. Sea like the kind of guy who can pull a few upsets and become an AA out of nowhere. Maybe not this year, but at some point.

Will watch him closely this seas on.

Courts losing probably resulted from a TON of factors.

1.)Early(prior to the season starting) match up.  Courts isn't known for his fast starts.

2.)Rozema improving.  A DI room with the right motivation can work wonders on a guy.

3.)Familiarity.  Wrestle enough with a guy, and even if he is the National Champ, you may be able to keep it closer than the runner up.

4.)Motivation.  For Courts this was a simple warm up.  For Rozema, this may very well have been the DI Tournament.

5.)Bribery...Wait this isn't Cuba...........

6.)ASU women are hotter than everywhere else...................If he believes such nonsense!

Edited by MSU158

I'm happy to see this from Rozema.  I coached against him when he was 3rd in our conference his senior year of high school at 189.  He was talented and difficult to score on, but the 2 guys ahead of him were very athletically talented and are both playing football in college.  I saw him at a summer tournament before he enrolled at tOSU and talked with his dad a bit.  He was a 4.0 student and was sought after as a valuable member of the team.  

I'm glad to see him progressing. I'll be bringing this up to our guys in high school as the season starts.  

You don't have to be a killing machine in high school if you have the right attitude,work ethic in the practice room, but also in the classroom. 

Courts losing probably resulted from a TON of factors.

1.)Early(prior to the season starting) match up.  Courts isn't known for his fast starts.

2.)Rozema improving.  A DI room with the right motivation can work wonders on a guy.

3.)Familiarity.  Wrestle enough with a guy, and even if he is the National Champ, you may be able to keep it closer than the runner up.

4.)Motivation.  For Courts this was a simple warm up.  For Rozema, this may very well have been the DI Tournament.

5.)Bribery...Wait this isn't Cuba...........

6.)ASU women are hotter than everywhere else...................If he believes such nonsense!

7. Average Officials

Rozema has shown continuous improvement. Per his tOSU bio, Rozema was a 108-46 wrestler in Wyoming, only placing 4th at states. Not exactly top 100 recruit material. Then he took a redshirt at tOSU and failed to place in any of the open tournaments he entered. Then last year, as a RS frosh, he went 13-6, pretty respectable for a guy with his background, and placed 3rd in one open. Now he beat Courts. A shocker of an upset, but you have to give Rozema a good amount of the credit regardless.

Wyoming, Michigan.   4th in Michigan isn't too bad I would say.