Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Statement from Drew Pariano:

"I have nothing but great things to say about Northwestern University and I have a plethora of fond memories.  We had an outstanding 10 year run where I was honored to be the head coach (for 5 of them), and we have had some amazing people help us achieve many of our goals along the way.  I am looking forward to beginning the next chapter of my coaching/administrative career."

Guest Kingsland

It's wild that this would happen with the season right around the corner. I wonder if Nick Reenan is going to stay committed.

The entire statement from Northwestern University: "Drew Pariano is no longer with Northwestern University."

Ummm...how about thanking him for his service? He's spent ten years on the coaching staff there, half of that as head coach. And their response is to simply state that he's no longer with the university?

My embarrassment for their Sports Information department's handling of this is beyond comprehension.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

The entire statement from Northwestern University: "Drew Pariano is no longer with Northwestern University."

Ummm...how about thanking him for his service? He's spent ten years on the coaching staff there, half of that as head coach. And their response is to simply state that he's no longer with the university?

My embarrassment for their Sports Information department's handling of this is beyond comprehension.

Where did your outrage at the university comment go?  Maybe he did something wrong and the university doesn't want to thank him.  Anyhow, with these things, there usually is always more to the story and it is better to let the situation develop.

Edited by Rakkasan91

Where did your outrage at the university comment go?  Maybe he did something wrong and the university doesn't want to thank him.  Anyhow, with these things, there usually is always more to the story and it is better to let the situation develop.

It fits too...but I felt like that fit better. Should I also mention that Pariano is a Northwestern alum?

Let me compare it to this, where an athletic department fired a head coach a year before he was planning on retiring anyway: http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=667880&SPID=12984&DB_LANG=C&SITE=UNC&DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=210147090

It fits too...but I felt like that fit better. Should I also mention that Pariano is a Northwestern alum?

Let me compare it to this, where an athletic department fired a head coach a year before he was planning on retiring anyway: http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=667880&SPID=12984&DB_LANG=C&SITE=UNC&DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=210147090

Maybe Pariano started a blog.

Wow this is surprising.  Be interesting to see what really happened.  Tsirtsis has had a horrible few months with tragedy and now losing his coach, will be interesting how he responds on the mat.  In September he lost his sister in a car accident, then recently his best friend passed away.  Then his coach who recruited him is dismissed when the season is just about to start.  Young man has been through a lot. 

I am guessing there has been tension between the parties for years. Pariano wanted to win Big10 championships and NCAA Championships. Lofty goals to be sure. but at least he had them. The size of their roster was so minimal that I got the impression the University admins did not fully embrace what he was doing. 

I have no idea of anything other than what is posted above, which is more observation than anything else. 

While this is surprising, maybe he just felt like it was his time to go? Take a look at Steve Spurrier at South Carolina, quitting mid-season.

Not a good comparison.  Spurrier is a worn out old man who had already won his championships and had his shot at the NFL.  Pariano is an alum just starting into years that would have been his prime.

This DailyNW article presages the firing: http://dailynorthwestern.com/2015/02/26/sports/the-sideline-no-matter-what-drew-pariano-tells-it-like-it-is/

Drew Pariano is blunt.  Really blunt.  "I'd be extremely dangerous at any other Big Ten school", he said.  "I'm really good at recruiting."

After all, Pariano is working with a smaller roster, fewer resources, and higher academic standards than any other team in the conference.

Edited by jammen

This DailyNW article presages the firing: http://dailynorthwestern.com/2015/02/26/sports/the-sideline-no-matter-what-drew-pariano-tells-it-like-it-is/

Drew Pariano is blunt.  Really blunt.  "I'd be extremely dangerous at any other Big Ten school", he said.  "I'm really good at recruiting."

After all, Pariano is working with a smaller roster, fewer resources, and higher academic standards than any other team in the conference.

I also liked: “Most coaches can’t believe the stuff that comes out of my mouth,” he said. “I like to keep them guessing. I like them to not really know what I’m thinking all the time.”

And: "Still, Pariano’s intensity has its drawbacks. He said he’s not very pleasant when the team loses and that he sometimes can care too much."

And: "Pariano’s favorite part of his job is how unpredictable it is. Even when he thinks his day is scripted, something unexpected will happen."

And of course, the now ominous: "I think there’s a shelf life to everything,” he said. “I don’t like coaches that overstay their welcome.”

I always thought dude sounded measured & reasonable & calm. Maybe I didn't know him. Most assuredly, I didn't know him. That article pointed me to a different dude than I'd had in my head. In my experience, I've learned to be wary of a person who woofs about his verbal candor or about whom 'cares too much' becomes a thing that's said. Anyway, that's just me woofin on a message board, so the irony's not lost on me. But as long as we're spelunking in the Speculation Cave, I'll throw my headlamp in the mix: sounds like dude probably blew up in some fashion, like in one singular incident that was either too massive in its intensity or the last straw in a series of previously tolerable smaller incidents.