Sign in to follow this  
hawktalk3

Joey Dance gives his thoughts on the upcoming season

I really want to feel great coming into that Penn State match to really leave a mark and to show people that I’m going to win the title this year and I am going to be Virginia Tech’s first National Champion. Megaludis will be a perfect test for me.”

Early money quote.

I really want to feel great coming into that Penn State match to really leave a mark and to show people that I’m going to win the title this year and I am going to be Virginia Tech’s first National Champion. Megaludis will be a perfect test for me.”

Early money quote.

Would not be surprised at all if Dance wins this match or nationals.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Dance beats Megaludis, though I would bet that match the other way, but I would be surprised if he won nationals. He is plenty capable, but I don't see him stringing together an entire tournament worth of wins in what might be the most loaded weight. At his best, Dance is NCAA champ material. Can he be at his best for three straight days?

I wouldn't be too surprised if Dance beats Megaludis, though I would bet that match the other way, but I would be surprised if he won nationals. He is plenty capable, but I don't see him stringing together an entire tournament worth of wins in what might be the most loaded weight. At his best, Dance is NCAA champ material. Can he be at his best for three straight days?

You may be right but he for sure has as much or maybe more talent than anyone at the weight.  

He admitted he was blinded by his straight shot towards the finals in the quarters. He had beaten Gilman, Moisey and Tomasello. Who wouldn't have seen the top of the podium? He knows not to get ahead of himself now, I can't wait to see him do it this year and a top 4 finish for the team. VT could have 3-4 finalists (Dance, Brascetta, Epperly, Walz) and 7 AAs (Marstani, Chisko, Haught). Though this is best case scenerio, I could see them do it. Schedule is a bear but not as crazy as previous years.

Dance should beat Mega? Why? What evidence is there that Dance is better than Mega? Seems to me this should go the other way.

Especially early in the season when Dance's conditioning, a weakness he himself acknowledges, is not at its best. Megaludis is always in top form. I've never seen him have a tank issue no matter the date of the match.

He admitted he was blinded by his straight shot towards the finals in the quarters. He had beaten Gilman, Moisey and Tomasello. Who wouldn't have seen the top of the podium? He knows not to get ahead of himself now, I can't wait to see him do it this year and a top 4 finish for the team. VT could have 3-4 finalists (Dance, Brascetta, Epperly, Walz) and 7 AAs (Marstani, Chisko, Haught). Though this is best case scenerio, I could see them do it. Schedule is a bear but not as crazy as previous years.

Ambitious prediction, bu theoretically it could happen. Lots of talent there.

Housebuye,

In no way was I knocking Dieringer.  I believe he is far and away the best current DI wrestler.  However, his weight is pretty empty from no fault of his own.  

Also, who really ran?  Bo Jordan has moved up to 174, but I really expect him to be back at 165 if Myles Martin pans out at 174 and the rest of the team stays healthy.  BoJo at 174 simply leaves too big of a hole at 165 and 157 looks to be a non point scorer at the Tournament as well.

AA's Walsh, Morse, Sulzer, Wilson and Harger all graduated.

Other than I. Jordan the weight just doesn't have the accolades to open eyes.  Again, Dieringer WILL win the Hodge but a dominant performance at several other weights should earn the MOW before Dieringer.  Unless, of course, he pins or techs everyone......................

Edited by MSU158

I guess you could say there is some speculation on my statement on dance. But, he had proven that he can beat top level 125 guys and his summer prep had been outstanding. We know nico is gonna bring it next weekend and I love his pressing style but I think if dance doesn't stay tied up too long, he wins and wins by more than a point. If he lets nico tie him up he will probably lose. Stay tuned

I guess you could say there is some speculation on my statement on dance. But, he had proven that he can beat top level 125 guys and his summer prep had been outstanding. We know nico is gonna bring it next weekend and I love his pressing style but I think if dance doesn't stay tied up too long, he wins and wins by more than a point. If he lets nico tie him up he will probably lose. Stay tuned

Nico beat Dance 6-1 in the NCAA 3rd place match 18 months ago with what he described as either a cracked or broken rib that made it impossible for him to get into certain positions. I know a lot of time has gone by since then, but that result under those circumstances seems to place Nico at a higher level than Dance.

And as has been stated, Nico is never out of shape. I don't think Dance can out horse Nico, but I think Nico has proven he can out wrestle Dance. The only guys that have given Nico trouble have been the ultra quick and slick Delgado and Garrett. I don't really see a guy with Dance's style changing things. 

Nico staying basically hidden all last season makes him a wildcard.  You really don't know what to expect from him.  Will he be the exact same?  Will he have dropped off a bit from lack of competition?  Will he be a lightning rod and standard bearer for his team this (being his final) season?  I honestly don't know.  The Nico I have seen is as good as or better than ANYONE at the weight.  We just need to actually SEE him wrestle this season before you can really feel comfortable predicting his results.

Nico beat Dance 6-1 in the NCAA 3rd place match 18 months ago with what he described as either a cracked or broken rib that made it impossible for him to get into certain positions. I know a lot of time has gone by since then, but that result under those circumstances seems to place Nico at a higher level than Dance.

And as has been stated, Nico is never out of shape. I don't think Dance can out horse Nico, but I think Nico has proven he can out wrestle Dance. The only guys that have given Nico trouble have been the ultra quick and slick Delgado and Garrett. I don't really see a guy with Dance's style changing things.

Dieringer should win the Hodge, but his weight looks barren. A dominant run at 125 would look too impressive to ignore!

Dieringer to 125 would be impressive, though a huge cut, even by Oklahoma State standards.