Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Camp Done

Camp was the #1 wrestler in America.   He was a man child.   He was a beast.   He was the very best wrestler in America, this side of Morgan McIntosh.

What happened?   What went wrong?  

Camp had it all.   He was carrying the flag for New Jersey wrestling ad he has flamed out.  

Is New Jersey all smoke and mirrors?  Can they produce studs who actually pan out?  

I've always been a supporter of the Garden State but this is too much.  There have been far too many failures from Jersey than seemingly any where else.   Michigan is probably a close second, but what gives here?  

Camp had the world at his finger tips.  He could have been a contenda.   

I am disappoint. 

Camp was the #1 wrestler in America.   He was a man child.   He was a beast.   He was the very best wrestler in America, this side of Morgan McIntosh.

What happened?   What went wrong?  

Camp had it all.   He was carrying the flag for New Jersey wrestling ad he has flamed out.  

Is New Jersey all smoke and mirrors?  Can they produce studs who actually pan out?  

I've always been a supporter of the Garden State but this is too much.  There have been far too many failures from Jersey than seemingly any where else.   Michigan is probably a close second, but what gives here?  

Camp had the world at his finger tips.  He could have been a contenda.   

I am disappoint.

There's a guy from New Jersey by the name of Jordan Burroughs, if you have heard of him. He's done maybe a little above average.

My favorite esteemed pig farmer,

Nice baiting job!  Michigan's top recruits actually panned out pretty damn well over the last decade: N. Simmons(4xAA), A. Simmons(2x AA injury plagued), R. Churella(3x AA 1x finalist), J. Churella(3x AA 1x finalist), Kish(2x AA, 1x finalist injury plagued), Metcalf(3x Finalist 2x Champ) Reader(3x AA, Champ), Donahoe(3xAA, Champ), Simaz(4xAA, Champ), Trice(3x AA), Bennett(4x AA), Massa(R12-burn out?), Morse (1x AA), McClure(1x AA), Dean(3rd, 1st, ?, ?) and Coon(R12, 2nd, ?, ?)

Michigan, admittedly, doesn't have the depth like Pennsylvania, but it's premium recruits usually fair very well.  Unless they go to MSU................

There's a guy from New Jersey by the name of Jordan Burroughs, if you have heard of him. He's done maybe a little above average.

You are correct.   He did win 2 national titles and was a 3 time AA.   

And from my research, it appears he was not exactly a world beater in high school.   Burroughs absolutely panned out and you could even say exceeded his college expectation.   

So that's 1

I'm just not seeing big time results from some of the big NJ names.   Is it that college over there, the Scarlet Knights?   Are they just not generally prepared well enough for college?  

This is a terrible argument. Cletus is quite the troll, but this is no way to answer him.

I wasn't looking for an argument. Just trying to make a ridiculous statement. Sorry for going over your head.

Obviously there is some trolling going on and NJ has produced some amazing college and international wrestlers. With that said, we have had a lot of busts and I think the out of control youth wrestling culture has had somethimg to do with it.

We have too many wrestlers that are wrestling year round from too young of an age and getting burned out. We have too many that start too early. We have the kids that get held back and win on strength and physical development but dont get better as wrestlers. The shame is with the lack of wrestling programs at college the late bloomer kid with big upside doesnt get looked at. Coaches take the kid that was a finished product in 9th grade despite never improving since then.

A lot of youth programs are down dramatically (numbers wise) from 5-10 years ago and this "have and have nots" mentality is causing a lot of it. I worry that these 10 year olds who are spending all year with their club will only have each other to wrestle by the time they get to Hs...and thats if they arent sick of the sport by then.

With out thinking too hard, more Jersey wrestlers who were busts (apparently):

Gene Mills

Darryl Burley

Mike Fricke

Steve Mocco

Zach Esposito

Sean Grey

Clint & Brett Matter

Bruce Baumgartner

Damion Hahn

Kellen Russell

Chris Campbell

and on and on and on...

Edited by DCSquires

With out thinking too hard, more Jersey wrestlers who were busts (apparently):

Gene Mills

Darryl Burley

Mike Fricke

Steve Mocco

Zach Esposito

Sean Grey

Clint & Brett Matter

Bruce Baumgartner

Damion Hahn

Kellen Russell

Chris Campbell

and on and on and on...

Mike Caruso

How did this turn into a Jersey thread? Let's stay on topic, please, where did Camp go wrong? Was it choosing OSU over Rutgers football? I think he would have been better off playing football, taking a break from wrestling, then coming back, if he wanted to. Maybe it was the drugs, the hardest opponent to defeat. Who knows, I was just surprised no one had mentioned it, and apparently no one cares.

Not everyone is cut out for college wrestling, regardless of talent. It takes a certain amount of character to be away from home and live up to the obligations of wrestling. Not everyone has the character to pull it off, and some actively sabotage themselves as well.