TBar1977

Marstellar

I dont think it is burn out in the sense that he is losing his motivation, I think the cut to get a chance at starting at 157 is really hard. He looked gassed last year when he wrestled 157, and as mentioned above, looked much better at 165. He might just have the unlucky end result of being behind Dieringer for a year.

2014-15 (Redshirt Year): Went 14-4 in his first season as a Cowboy competing in open tournaments … Wrestled at 157 and 165 pounds … Took down two ranked opponents, including No. 12 Dylan Palacio of Cornell in an epic 11-10 match at the Southern Scuffle … Also pinned No. 15 Mikey England of Mizzou in 1:48 at the event … Tallied three falls—including a 27-second fall in his first match of the year—two technical falls and one major decision … Won the OCU Open and Oklahoma Open at 157 pounds … Finished fourth in the varsity division of the Joe Parisi Open … Took fourth at 165 pounds at the Southern Scuffle … Notched wins over teammates Chris Koo and Keilan Torres en route to taking the Oklahoma Open title.

It should be pointed out, at one time he was being predicted to go 4 X National champion, and although he can still accomplish that lofty goal, getting beat on the first weekend of his official college career hardly supports those predictions.   

I like Marstellar and wish him the best.   Add me to the group who feels he's just pulling too much weight.   

John has no quarrels with cutting his guys way down. 

This isn't an argument about cutting too much weight. It is either cut to 157 and have a chance to be the starter or sit behind Dieringer or Crutchmer..................The weight cut may be too much for him, but this isn't a John Smith is forcing Marstellar issue.

Sad thing is, it looks like he would have been better off staying at PSU.   Taking the 165 slot looks a tad bit easier at PSU than OkState!

You are correct, opens count on your record.

How does that work for guys red shirting? They aren't official matches at that point. I think if you wrestle unattached at an open that isn't an official team tourney, the matches don't count. That's how it was back in the early 90's (waaaaaaaaaaay back then!)