Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

OW at All-Star Classic A Disgrace

Hokie, I didn't get a vote, but if I did, I would have voted for Walz as well. After all, he nearly made former National Finalist Adam Coon the thirteenth man to land on the moon!

At the one event I do get a vote for OW for, I've been known to wait until the heavyweight match ended, frustrating the entire tournament staff there, to hand in my OW ballot.

Yes, One OW per team. No slight at all to Waltz. He easily could have been selected given a different process. 

The Gladiator Head Dress award is Sponsored and purchased by Knightpoint and company led by former Clarion Wrestler Jason Kuzemka. An award like no other!!

Yes, One OW per team. No slight at all to Waltz. He easily could have been selected given a different process. 

What was the process that was used, predetermined if guy A wins he gets the award?! It certainly was a "slight" at Walz.

I'm sure I will catch some flack for this statement, but if we are comparing talent then Heil is absolutely better than Coon. To take it a step further, heavyweight in general is (on average) the most unskilled weight class of them all. I'm not knocking what Walz did, but I think Brewer's match was much more exciting. Also, 3 point TD's skew the scores quite a bit, but ever without that he did dominate Coon completely.

I'm sure I will catch some flack for this statement, but if we are comparing talent then Heil is absolutely better than Coon. To take it a step further, heavyweight in general is (on average) the most unskilled weight class of them all. I'm not knocking what Walz did, but I think Brewer's match was much more exciting. Also, 3 point TD's skew the scores quite a bit, but ever without that he did dominate Coon completely.

No flak from me and I'm a vt fan.

Duke's Hartman was another worthy candidate with a dominating performance. But, if upper weights are not given proper consideration in favor of the faster, more athletic lower weights then it tarnished the award somewhat in my opinion. I admit my attention wanes from matches above 174

I'm not knocking what Walz did, but I think Brewer's match was much more exciting.

Exciting does not equate to having the best performance.The 174 final last year was "exciting", due to the drama, but it was also the worst match of the finals.

"Hwt is most unskilled"  "more athletic lower weights"  I think these statements are Opinions that are wrong.  You are mistaking, pure strength, and the the slow down that comes with strength vs. strength as slower or less athletic. Just because you are a fan of light weights does not mean you should degrade the upper weights.  This is no different then saying wide receivers are better then offensive line on a football team.  Of course many probably believe that.  If it's so easy, move up.

Back to the point OW a disgrace?  I wouldn't say that but, Walz was expected to get pinned by some, so I would say he was outstanding.

Yea but apples to apples says you are way off.

Coon is a world silver medalist in his cohort and NCAA Runner Up.

I think in general you may be off on your assessment of HWT.  It has been one of the deeper weights in recent years.

Compare the 2 weights in question this year.

141: Depth? Returning Talent?  Who is your preseason stud pick?  You can't tell me you have 100% confidence that Evan Henderson or Jimmy Gulilbon is going to win it or even be an AA if healthy.  Wide open if you ask me.

285: Can you say the same?  Gwiz is going for 3, Coon is back, as is Kroells, Walz, and Marsden.  Dhesi is a world Gold Medalist.  Stoll is going to be good as well.  

I disagree that as of today: Heil has more talent for his weight than Coon does for his.

Well, I am thinking that I may have had my expectations too high.

Overall I was disappointed. A few exciting bouts …… no doubts. 

Although, this thing that we do each year is called (named) " A classic" Am I right …..Or, am I correct ?

That said, are we going after the best available ? Or, is it that , the best that are available ? Talkin' about the 

classy/classic ones out there.

Usually, I can watch wrestling, regardless. Perhaps, I got tired of hearing -- "shoe laces up…….shoe laces down"

Oh shucks, I really do like both of those guys ( that did the color commentating, very colorful in deed).

Lol Heil is leaps and bounds above coon when it comes to technical ability. I understand heavyweight is a much different arena than lower weights and plays out more like a chess match. I'm impressed with the athletic heavies (gwiz, mcmullan, etc) but if you are really trying to say the skill sets of the aa heavies are on par with lighter guys you're crazy. A few other notes from various comments: 1. Gulibon's ranking is a joke. Not saying he can't get there but he hasn't earned that slot yet. 2. 174 in the past few years has been awful from a fan's standpoint. Minimal action with few attempts at creating angles. The only weight that was harder to watch was last year's 149.