Sign in to follow this  
takedownartist

Marstaller needs to pull a Micic and get out of there.

Surely he regrets the decision.

Incredibly talent wasting away in incredibly unforeseen circumstances.

Pull the trigger and have just 3 years of NCAA wrestling.

Would anyone fault him? I sure would not and I am a huge Ok State fan.

Why? If he transfers he only has three years left anyway. Plenty of Iowa guys didn't start right away and did just fine.

It's not unprecedented for a talented wrestler to have to wait for his time behind a more talented starter.  See Gilman for a recent example.  Ramos as well.... Or how about Dom Bradley?

If you mean Tony Ramos, he wrestled all four years, beating Tyler Clark for the spot

Thought he would qualify for an Olympic RS somehow.

ORS criteria 

1. Former National team member (top three at World Team Trials)

2. Top 8 at 2015 WTTs (which he wrestled juniors)

3. Top 3 at 2015 NCAAs + Top 2 at 2015 University Nationals

4. Previous JR world medalist.

USA WRESTLING: http://content.themat.com/forms/2016-Olympic-Redshirt-Criteria.pdf

Edited by hawktalk3

Not every star coming out of high school is a Cael Sanderson, Kyle Dake, Logan Stieber or David Taylor. It irks me when I read this stuff. Great in high school doesn't automatically equate to great in college right away, if at all. Of all the highly touted four-time champs out there, more often than not do they seem to "underachieve" by fan standards for more reasons than we can count. I don't know if I am correct or not, but I can't imagine that Marstellar is giving anything less than his best and he knows if Okie State is the best place for him in the short and long terms. If not, he'll move on as many others have.

This kid was nearly a man at 14, he had a beard in 8th-9th grade.  The extreme physical advantage he had vs HS kids is gone, and while he's still a very good wrestler, he's never going to be the type of impact guy many predicted.

Just my opinion.

This kid was nearly a man at 14, he had a beard in 8th-9th grade.  The extreme physical advantage he had vs HS kids is gone, and while he's still a very good wrestler, he's never going to be the type of impact guy many predicted.

Just my opinion.

He sure looked like an impact guy when he was wrestling 165 last year

He sure looked like an impact guy when he was wrestling 165 last year

Absolutely..Unless something changes, he isn't going to be the 4x champ many expected, however at 165 I think he would have a real shot at AA this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end his career with 2-3 AA finishes with maybe an appearance in the finals. 

Not the career he/many others may have wanted/expected, but still one I wish I would have had.