Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

2017 National Team Champs

I think if ASU keeps all of their recruits around they should be there.  Naser, Benick, the Valencias, Shields, Maruca, Tanner Hall, yeah that's going to be a tough team next year.  If their other guys rise to the challenge they could have a shot to have between 8-10 AA's next year.  I'd be surprised if they weren't at least a top 5 team, but I think they'll contend. 

I'll throw my Hawkeyes name into the hat.  Will still be tough as nails next year.  Only graduating Burak/Grothus this season, will be adding Turk / Kemerer / Holloway to the lineup. Turk and Kemerer I think are potential Freshman AA's. Then we'll have a very strong SR class with Gilman, Clark, Meyer, and Brooks. Sorensen will be a JR.  Stoll and Paddock will have a year of experience behind them and have yet to be determined how they will do this season anyways.  

2016-2017 is going to be an absolutely barn burner season, much like I expect this season to be. This year there are about 7-8 teams with really deep lineups that can do serious damage at NCAAs. Iowa/PSU/tOSU/OSU/VTech/Mich/Mizz/Cornell, obviously some are favored in that field, but all tough lineups.

Next year,

Iowa/PSU/tOSU/VTech/OSU/ASU/Mich/Mizz/Cornell all have really deep lineups. Its an exciting time in College wrestling, with more teams battling for the top spot than seemingly ever before.

I think if ASU keeps all of their recruits around they should be there. Naser, Benick, the Valencias, Shields, Maruca, Tanner Hall, yeah that's going to be a tough team next year. If their other guys rise to the challenge they could have a shot to have between 8-10 AA's next year. I'd be surprised if they weren't at least a top 5 team, but I think they'll contend.

All Maruca did was get hammered by elite HS wrestlers last year. Now he's an AA candidate.

silver-medal, that's nine...who else is wrestling?

Don't know--supposedly Tomasello is moving up for his last two years so 125 will be vacant unless Pletcher can drop for a season.  165 is a hole--they really need someone to transfer while they find their future guy at this weight.  

I think if ASU keeps all of their recruits around they should be there.  Naser, Benick, the Valencias, Shields, Maruca, Tanner Hall, yeah that's going to be a tough team next year.  If their other guys rise to the challenge they could have a shot to have between 8-10 AA's next year.  I'd be surprised if they weren't at least a top 5 team, but I think they'll contend. 

Lets not forget about CPag, Nikko Villarreal, and Dalton Brady.

Buckeyes:  Tomasello, K. Hayes, Micah, Jake, Marstellar (transfer...I'm trying to start a rumor), Bo Jo, My Martin, Kollin Moore, Snyderman.

How about another guy at 165 with a familiar last name who will be a RS SR.   Can't you transfer to wherever you want (even within conference) as long as you've graduated?  Move might be a slam dunk for the buckeyes.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Lets not forget about CPag, Nikko Villarreal, and Dalton Brady.

I don't think CPag is wrestling anymore.  He either quit or got injured, not sure which.  Also Robbie Mathers is at ASU too and he's solid.  If Brady can get healthy he's a threat to almost anybody. 

I figure next year ASU looks something like this.

125: Naser/Perales

133: Brady/Rico/Kramer

141: Mathers/Villareal

149: Maruca/Pagdilao (if he's back?)

157: Shields

165: Peterson/A.Valencia

174: A. Valencia/Peterson

184: Z. Valencia

197: Benick

285: Hall

Naser at 125? Doubtful. Wasn't he at 141 during his community college days?

Villareal and Mathers are never going to light it up in folkstyle

Early returns on Hall indicate he might be a couple years away

Brady is ok, but is he going to crack the top 15? Probably not.

Peterson is a national qualifier and nothing more

Maruca has a lot to prove at this level

2017? Not a chance. Saying they have a shot at 8-10 AAs is laughable. Give it another year or two.

Edited by LemonPie

Naser at 125? Doubtful. Wasn't he at 141 during his community college days?

Villareal and Mathers are never going to light it up in folkstyle

Early returns on Hall indicate he might be a couple years away

Brady is ok, but is he going to crack the top 15? Probably not.

Peterson is a national qualifier and nothing more

Maruca had a lot to prove at this level

2017? Not a chance. Saying they have a shot at 8-10 AAs is laughable. Give it another year or two.

I think Hall could pull off a 5-8 finish.  Heavyweight is kind of hit or miss.  He's got good technique and leg attacks for a big guy. 

Also given that Maruca is redshirting this year, but that extra year to be in that room could pay off big time.  If he develops right he could be a low AA finish.  7/8 maybe. 

Peterson is a guy who could be dangerous.  He's physically really strong and capable of beating wrestlers better than him.  I wouldn't expect him to AA, but if he did it wouldn't be surprising, but he can score points, maybe 2-2 or something. 

Naser is wrestling at 125 now in freestyle.  He might get to that or 33 at ASU.  Somebody mentioned he wasn't cutting a lot to make it right now. 

I think that with the competition in the room and the rate of development you could see a lot of surprising things happen.  They may not look ready now, but we have a whole year before they actually wrestle in something meaningful for ASU.  Give them a year and we'll see. 

Very interesting implication you've made here, and man, what a perfect scenario for the Bucks at 165 to bring in say Isaiah White (unless Hall or Marinelli come back to their senses), develop/redshirt him freshman year, and Isaac Jordan slot right in between Micah and Bo. That would be awesome.

In terms of it being realistic, many speculated it happening this season, as in D1 wrestling, a wrestler can transfer (even within conference) with the go ahead from their existing coach in doing so.

Like football, if Isaac does indeed graduate this season, he's essentially a free agent and can choose anywhere he pleases to wrestle for his 5th year of eligibility. Just like Missouri's graduate transfer this year I believe at 184.

125: Tomasello

133: Pletcher or Hayes

141: M Jordan

149: H Stieber (hypothetical medical r.s)

157: J Ryan

165: I Jordan

174: B Jordan

184: M Martin

197: K Moore

HWY: Snyder

Hayes most likely 149 with Stieber finishing eligibility this season which still makes their lineup extremely formidable.. If Stieber had some route of coming back for a 6th year a la Cody Pack completely healthy... That would be just sick.

Lol

Very interesting implication you've made here, and man, what a perfect scenario for the Bucks at 165 to bring in say Isaiah White (unless Hall or Marinelli come back to their senses), develop/redshirt him freshman year, and Isaac Jordan slot right in between Micah and Bo. That would be awesome.

In terms of it being realistic, many speculated it happening this season, as in D1 wrestling, a wrestler can transfer (even within conference) with the go ahead from their existing coach in doing so.

Like football, if Isaac does indeed graduate this season, he's essentially a free agent and can choose anywhere he pleases to wrestle for his 5th year of eligibility. Just like Missouri's graduate transfer this year I believe at 184.

125: Tomasello

133: Pletcher or Hayes

141: M Jordan

149: H Stieber (hypothetical medical r.s)

165: I Jordan

HWY: Snyder

Hayes most likely 149 with Stieber finishing eligibility this season which still makes their lineup extremely formidable.. If Stieber had some route of coming back for a 6th year a la Cody Pack completely healthy... That would be just sick.

Pletcher will not beat out Hayes and Hayes will never wrestle 133#.  It would be assume if Isaac Jordan finished his last year of eligibility at tOSU.

125: N Tomasello
133: N Tomasello/L Pletcher
141: K Hayes
149: M Jordan
165: Unknown
HWT: K Snyder