Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Golden Grand Prix Finals in Baku - Line up thoughts

Looks like Nigeria may not have the funds to attend:

http://thenationonlineng.net/nigeria-risks-sanction-over-absence-from-wrestling-grand-prix/

Seems counterproductive for UWW to fine a country that can't afford to go to an event. 

yes, seems dumb to me. incentives work much better than punishments in these cases. 

It's always like that.  Russia for one is notorious for pencilling guys in and erasing them.  U.S. will rarely not send a guy they said they would.

Iran's roster went from good to very minimal at this tournament.

AZE is supposed to send a decent one from what I heard. 

It's going to be a good one like usual. 

Probably Amiraslanov, Aliev, Asgarov (70), Gostiev and Gazyumov as some of the guys from Azerbaijan.

Also ....  Afghan Khashalov, Yashar Aliyev(57), Ahmed Gvarzatilov (61), Agahuseyn Mustafayev, Magomed Muslimov, Teymur Mammadov (65), Ruslan Dibirhadjiyev, Joshgun Azimov(70), Jabrayil Hasanov, Murad Suleymanov (74)

I agree with jolugoger. the UWW schedule is far from ideal. the talent is spread over way too many events with only 1 event a year being a premier event, and then you have guys sitting on the bench because of 1 per federation restrictions (and too few weight classes, but that's a different rant). 

the problem is money (shocker i know). you need to raise the reward to entice the talent to compete, and then focus on a few events a year. an ATP tennis circuit is probably too many events but that should be the model. tennis also participates in team competitions by nation, the olympics and has pro club teams. wrestling has the olympics every 4 years and then a bunch of JV events. sure, i enjoy the competitions we do get to watch but compared to what it could be it's abysmal. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

I noticed that the MFS brackets are up. Any thoughts on the draws? 

It looks like "Jammy" Kennedy has the Mongolian wrestler that Brent Metcalf wrestled at Worlds, and that David Taylor has a promising draw/bracket -- though I'm not nearly as versed in the international competitors as others here. What do you all think?

Wow, Taylor's bracket is loaded. He starts off against UZB, if he wins that he gets AZE, if he wins that, then the semi would be against the winner out of RUS vs IRI and TUR vs Foster.

Hope Taylor can bring a little magic to Baku. He's going up against top notch 86 kg world class wrestlers. Clayton too. 

Who is the Azerbaijani wrestler (Taylor's potential 2nd round match) in the 86kg bracket?

It looks like Foster has the tougher draw of the two, though I'm sure others here know better. At least the Iranian opponent as his potential Round 2 isn't Karimi and the Russian isn't Sadulaev. Or, maybe too bad.