Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Golden Grand Prix Finals in Baku - Line up thoughts

Yeah, Clayton may have somewhat of a tougher draw. First (TUR), then winner of (RUS) vs (IRI - Lashgari is back), then the winner of Taylor's bracket in the semi. Hope they can both put up some W's.

Lot of big names in this tourney:

125 - Dom vs Geno first round, among others.

97 - Sharifov, Elizbar, Olinyk, JD and Kilgore

86 - As mentioned, tough bracket.

74 - Tsabalov, Hasanov vs (IRI), (RUS) vs (AZE), Anthony Valencia vs Aliev

70 -  Kaya, Asgarov. Bekzod, and others

65 - Kurby, Muslimov, Romonov vs (JPN), Kennedy vs (MGL)

61 - Bogomoev, Aliev, Shuptar, Dardanes and others

57 - Otarsulatnov vs Aliyev, another (RUS) vs (AZE), and Hoch  

Edited by 2td3nf

Taylor wins by forfeit with :16 left in the match. He was up 8-4. DT was in on a single leg and it looked like his opponent injured his knee trying to initiate a scramble.

Just prior to that sequence, Taylor took injury time with :55 left in the match. Hurt his lower back and couldn't stand upright for a bit. Hope he will be able to continue the tournament.

And Stieber cruises, gets the tech 13-2 early in the second period. Totally outhorsed his opponent.

Kennedy on Mat A beats the "Mongolian Metcalf", 8-5.

CORRECTION: Kennedy did not wrestle Metcalf's opponent at Worlds. I believe that was Katai Yeerlanbieke from China. Sorry for the mixup.

Edited by pamela

Wow, Valencia's fast. He looks like John Smith shooting those low singles. Looks comparatively small, though, and giving up a lot of pushout points. Down 7-1 to Hasanov at the end of the first.

And Hasanov gets the tech, 11-1 early in the second period.

Edited by pamela

This is weird... the livestream on Mat B cut out during the Taylor - Nurmagomed (AZE) quarterfinal match, and the stream is now showing a one countdown clock to 1pm (local time). Anyway, Taylor was just taken down as the feed dropped. His back didn't seem to be an issue.  Guess I'll catch the archived video later.

Edited by pamela

Thanks, @manyak...  I wonder if DT is injured. He was barely able to stand up during his first match.

Stieber's match vs. Ramonov (RUS) on Mat A is very exciting. I know he's a long-time freestyler, but it seems that he still needs to get some folk habits out of his system. Made some careless mistakes "rolling through" and exposing himself.

After an 11 point rally by Ramonov (down 6-0 to Stieber), Stieber wins 15-13. On to the semis! I also noticed that Kennedy lost to Mustafayev (AZE), but didn't catch the score.

Edited by pamela