Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Dake to 86kg for good

I doubt he can make the team. Even if could I don't see him having any chance to medal even if he got a great draw. He is simply not big enough, the jump is too much. I don't think any 74 could have much success at 86, Burroughs included. All this to avoid Burroughs, I don't think it's worth it. However I do understand the appeal of being on an Olympic team even if he doesn't medal. 

I doubt he can make the team. Even if could I don't see him having any chance to medal even if he got a great draw. He is simply not big enough, the jump is too much. I don't think any 74 could have much success at 86, Burroughs included. All this to avoid Burroughs, I don't think it's worth it. However I do understand the appeal of being on an Olympic team even if he doesn't medal. 

I agree 86kg is a much tougher weight for him internationally than 74. But if there are sanctions against Russian for Rio, this could be the opportunity of a lifetime to whomever claims the spot.

For those who are knowledgeable about sports nutrition and weight management: is this really a permanent move for Kyle Dake? Meaning, if he eats & trains to be competitive at 86kg, could he change his mind in the future and cut back down to 74kg? Or would he have altered his body physiologically (and changed his wrestling style) to a point where he couldn't move back down?

He has got to know that he is to small. And Burroughs would not medal either at 189 in my opinion. He is probably smaller than Dake. Taylor has the best shot I think of those three. He is three inches taller than Dake and four inches taller than Burroughs. Go back to 74 Kyle!!!!

Edited by PRyan2012

Well, Taylor gets his first international shot at 86 in about 10 days in Baku.

Dake was supposed to enter the Yarygin last year (at 74) but got injured just prior to the trip, so will be real interesting to see if Kyle enters the Yarygin this year. Hope he goes.

Would love to see Taylor enter the Yarygin too, especially if he does well at Baku. I would think these guys would want as much early international experience as possible up at 86 in preparation for the OTT's, and possibly the Olympics.

Just my opinion, but I think Dake would be better off dropping to 70 Kg. I get that he would miss his chance for Rio, but I think if he takes this time to trim down and get his weight, diet and everything else under control, he would be pretty formidable, here and abroad.

I'm a David Taylor fan all the way, but am a little skeptical that the immediate results at 86kg will be there. I imagine it will take time for him to replace body mass with real muscle mass -- especially if he's never lifted before as he claims -- and adjusting his technique accordingly.

Kyle Dake is in a similar boat, but he has the advantage of being a chronic weightlifter and is ahead of DT in terms of adding the appropriate weight and knowing how to adjust his style.

Shiraz,

in American wrestling culture, much is made of "a champion never avoids competition or a challenge..." blah, blah, blah.   Dake is now running from Burroughs, like a frightened little girl.   It's unimaginable he would resort to such a basketball move, or a volleyball move.   This is widely frowned upon in American wrestling culture.   I for one am ashamed to be an American.   Even if he were to tech his way through the Olympic games,(of course that wont happen) he will always know he tucked tail and ran. Can we get your take on this practice of running, which seems to be increasing among the Americans, please?

Shiraz,

in American wrestling culture, much is made of "a champion never avoids competition or a challenge..." blah, blah, blah.   Dake is now running from Burroughs, like a frightened little girl.   It's unimaginable he would resort to such a basketball move, or a volleyball move.   This is widely frowned upon in American wrestling culture.   I for one am ashamed to be an American.   Even if he were to tech his way through the Olympic games,(of course that wont happen) he will always know he tucked tail and ran. Can we get your take on this practice of running, which seems to be increasing among the Americans, please?

It would be one thing if he was too big, but to me Dake seems like the perfect size for 74. I agree it is a bad move and his coaches should make it clear to him that he has no hope at 86. I would like Dake to take a lesson from one of my favourite wrestlers, Brent Metcalf. Brent has never won anything on the international level despite competing on that stage for a decade. Each year he is sent home empty handed yet still comes back for more. He doesn't move up or down a weight but keeps pushing towards his goals at his natural weight. And after many years of trying in 2014 he was finally able to win a match at a world championships. This year he won two (with some questionable calls against China, I know) before being eliminated. I would like to see Dake learn a thing or two from Metcalf and to not just give up so quickly. He has to keep pushing at 74.

bad move, unless he has a problem maintaining his weight. is a guy trying to make a team or be the best in the world? the guy trying to make a team isn't setting his goals high enough. that's tougher to live with than not making a team.

It would be one thing if he was too big, but to me Dake seems like the perfect size for 74. I agree it is a bad move and his coaches should make it clear to him that he has no hope at 86. I would like Dake to take a lesson from one of my favourite wrestlers, Brent Metcalf. Brent has never won anything on the international level despite competing on that stage for a decade. Each year he is sent home empty handed yet still comes back for more. He doesn't move up or down a weight but keeps pushing towards his goals at his natural weight. And after many years of trying in 2014 he was finally able to win a match at a world championships. This year he won two (with some questionable calls against China, I know) before being eliminated. I would like to see Dake learn a thing or two from Metcalf and to not just give up so quickly. He has to keep pushing at 74.

haha, classic Shiraz Metcalf "love". 

Based on that result, where would you expect Dake to place at the US Olympic trials?   Can he even score a point on Taylor, should he make it far enough to face him?

Dake never go to Olympic games, he is legend in gril wrestling (folkstyle) but he never good in freestyle