Sign in to follow this  
emk1

the Ohio State

Please explain what is a "multi-year NLI."

Big Ten is one of the few conferences that offer multi-year national letter of intent.  This was changed about 3-4 years ago.  You can find various articles online regarding multi-year NLI.   Football isn't the only sport that offers this type of grant. Parents that are aware of multi-year NLI and your a top recruit, you can ask for the the multi-year.

The max number of years for the multi-year is 4 years so if you redshirt, your 5th year is the renewable year.

Edited by meluvwrestling

I love the idea in theory but some guy named Cael seems to have an interest.

Buckeyes have just as good a shot of getting lee as Cael does they've got just as much talent as PSU does and have now proven they can get team titles as well as help with long term goals

Buckeyes have just as good a shot of getting lee as Cael does they've got just as much talent as PSU does and have now proven they can get team titles as well as help with long term goals

Whatever you think on Lee is fine, I've heard he's an Iowa lean but it is what it is. As far as the talent level that's a little far fetched. Of the current starters Guilbon has 1 year left. Retherford 2, McCutchen 2, Nevills 4 (maybe), Nickal 3,Nolf 3, Rasheed 3. That's not even getting into Beitz, Hammond and others.

If Lee looks at it straight, he has Cortez, Hall, Suriano, and others with him.

That title for OSU last season was awesome but our stables are full and we redshirted about 6 studs last season.

I guess I just don't see the talent level close or even remotely close.

Edited by landlordbob

Are you talking multi-year scholarships?  I don't think there is such a thing as a multi-year NLI and a multi-year NLI doesn't even make sense.  An NLI and scholarship are completely different.

A student athlete can be offered a NLI that states mulit-year scholarship.  The below if from NLI website and should help better state what can be contained in a NLI.

Is an athletic scholarship guaranteed for four years?

At a minimum, an athletic scholarship must be a one academic year agreement.  In Division I, institutions are permitted to offer multiyear scholarships. Athletic scholarships may be renewed and the school must notify the student-athlete in writing by July 1 whether the athletic scholarship will be renewed for the next academic year. Individual schools have appeal policies for scholarships that are reduced or not renewed. In most cases, the coach decides who gets a scholarship, what it covers and whether it will be renewed.

Absent a lineup or injury problem, it would've made no sense for Martin to have redshirted this year. He has wrestled competively for three straight years. Not sure what the extra year at this point in his career and studies would have done for him or the team.

OT, but is your screen name a reference to the Scott Turow character played by Harrison Ford in the movie Presumed Innocent, Rusty Sabich?

Is it really that common for a coach to cut a guys scholarship halfway through his career?

If there are discipline issues maybe I can understand, but if a guy has good character, does things right, works hard, and never pans out as a top tier competior, I have a hard time seeing someone like ryan saying "We don't want you anymore, we're taking your money away"

When Snyder returns next season and goes HWY like he's already alluded to, OSU and Tom Ryan could potentially have a boat load of $ freed up for the '17 and '18 class. Especially if Snyder's move creates a roster ripple down effect, which I expect it will.

Next season, $ paid out to DiJullius, Stieber, Courts, and Mark Martin opens up. On top of these 4, both HWY's Thomas Haines and Nick Tavanello may have some tough decisions to make once Snyder returns for his 3 remaining seasons of eligibility.

Haines may find himself I'm the exact same situation as Nick Roberts a few years back once he saw the writing on the wall with Tomasello. There's no way OSU nor any team for that matter keeps significant $ tied up with any career backup, which is what Haines would be as he's the same eligibility as Snyder.

Depending on the amount of $ Tavanello receives as well as the direct need and or ability to add another significant piece with his allocated $.... Tavanello may have a few options and may be welcomed back. Very seldom do teams ask a 3 year starter to look elsewhere for their 4th season, but Tavanello may seek the graduate transfer route for his 5th year elsewhere if he wants to be a starter and not arguably one of the best backup HWY's In America, which he would end up being if he stays under this scenario.

I have no doubt Snyder returns and bumps up to HWY, with Kollin Snyder being the future at 197. Having already signed Luke Pletcher and Elijah Cleary this class, even if OSU were to add an even higher rated 165 say in Isaiah White.. Anyone added in this class would almost certainly be redshirted next season, unless desperately needed.

With DiJullius graduating, 133 and 165 will be big holes next season, again unless true freshman Pletcher and or Cleary step in. A graduate transfer scenario as a 1 year stop gap may be an ideal scenario for the Bucks to fill one or both of these weight classes next season. This method has been used to the point of abuse in both college basketball and football for years, and wrestling has seen a rise in it's occurrence these past few years, as Blaise Butler joining Missouri from Virginia being a good, recent example of its occurrence.

Keep an eye on Isaac Jordan from Wisconsin with this. He was rumored as to be looking to transfer this season. Next season, he will be free to wrestle anywhere he chooses if he's on course to graduate this year in 4 years at Wisconsin. Talk about your ideal 165 1 year stop gap! Wisconsin has another redshirt junior with the same eligibility scenario as I Jordan in another St Paris Graham alum, Ryan Taylor. I think he's a 133 too, if I recall correctly. Hmmmmm...

If that happens.

Ohio State possible next years lineup

125- tomasello

133- Ryan Taylor

141- Hayes (redshirt freshman 15-0 most bonus point wins, not the best competition still,so far this year as backup)

149- M. Jordan

157-Ryan

165-I. Jordan

174- Bo Jordan

184- Myles Martin

197-moore

285-K.Snyder

That would be 6-7 who realistically could win NCAA individually, that is a ridiculously good lineup.

Edited by dougb

When Snyder returns next season and goes HWY like he's already alluded to, OSU and Tom Ryan could potentially have a boat load of $ freed up for the '17 and '18 class. Especially if Snyder's move creates a roster ripple down effect, which I expect it will.

Next season, $ paid out to DiJullius, Stieber, Courts, and Mark Martin opens up. On top of these 4, both HWY's Thomas Haines and Nick Tavanello may have some tough decisions to make once Snyder returns for his 3 remaining seasons of eligibility.

Haines may find himself I'm the exact same situation as Nick Roberts a few years back once he saw the writing on the wall with Tomasello. There's no way OSU nor any team for that matter keeps significant $ tied up with any career backup, which is what Haines would be as he's the same eligibility as Snyder.

Depending on the amount of $ Tavanello receives as well as the direct need and or ability to add another significant piece with his allocated $.... Tavanello may have a few options and may be welcomed back. Very seldom do teams ask a 3 year starter to look elsewhere for their 4th season, but Tavanello may seek the graduate transfer route for his 5th year elsewhere if he wants to be a starter and not arguably one of the best backup HWY's In America, which he would end up being if he stays under this scenario.

I have no doubt Snyder returns and bumps up to HWY, with Kollin Snyder being the future at 197. Having already signed Luke Pletcher and Elijah Cleary this class, even if OSU were to add an even higher rated 165 say in Isaiah White.. Anyone added in this class would almost certainly be redshirted next season, unless desperately needed.

With DiJullius graduating, 133 and 165 will be big holes next season, again unless true freshman Pletcher and or Cleary step in. A graduate transfer scenario as a 1 year stop gap may be an ideal scenario for the Bucks to fill one or both of these weight classes next season. This method has been used to the point of abuse in both college basketball and football for years, and wrestling has seen a rise in it's occurrence these past few years, as Blaise Butler joining Missouri from Virginia being a good, recent example of its occurrence.

Keep an eye on Isaac Jordan from Wisconsin with this. He was rumored as to be looking to transfer this season. Next season, he will be free to wrestle anywhere he chooses if he's on course to graduate this year in 4 years at Wisconsin. Talk about your ideal 165 1 year stop gap! Wisconsin has another redshirt junior with the same eligibility scenario as I Jordan in another St Paris Graham alum, Ryan Taylor. I think he's a 133 too, if I recall correctly. Hmmmmm...

Better hope Ohio State's AD isn't there next year... otherwise it isn't happening.

“I’m concerned about it because the original intent is not working,” Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said. “Originally, the conversation was, as a graduate transfer you would go to a school because the school you were at did not have your master’s major. So you go somewhere else to get it. We know that’s not happening. So, that’s flawed. The other part that concerns me is that the graduate transfers are not graduating from those graduate schools. If I have a graduate transfer in a graduate school, I’m concerned about my graduation rate. If I’m taking people who aren’t going to finish — and you know they’re not going to finish — that’s a challenge."

OSU's kicker Jack Willoughby is another example. He's a 5th year grad transfer from Duke. The basketball player I mentioned was Anthony Lee who came over from Temple. Nothing against these two examples but trust me, if OSU's A.D takes on these two insignificant pieces the past two years consecutively... He's not gonna end the streak next year with an Isaac Jordan opportunity. You can bank that. He likes national titles.

Edited by Aviator12

Not to mention Isaac is Bo and Mickey's cousin, Isaac's dad Jim was an OSU assistant wrestling coach while I was there, and is now a current state senator and potential future President. And he beat John Smith for the NCAA title. No way OSU and Gene would turn down Isaac.  NOt a chance. 

Yes, we all know Isaac's background. I retracted my comment about the AD. Get a clue and keep up.

I'd slap the piss out of you if you said that to me in person.  Show some class.  And respect.  Hiding behind the internet and talking that way is beyond pathetic.  

Edited by Fishhook

Yes, we all know Isaac's background. I retracted my comment about the AD. Get a clue and keep up.

I'd slap the piss out of you if you said that to me in person.  Show some class.  And respect.  Hiding behind the internet and talking that way is beyond pathetic.  

Irony.