Sign in to follow this  
NJFAN

Gulibon v. McKenna

I'm not saying Chisko was bad my any means, sorry if it did come across that way.  But wasn't he the #4 overall in his weight alone that year? Again, no knock on the kid as he is a known stud. But I don't think his accolades compare to what McKenna has done before stepping on the mat in college. 

Guest Kingsland

I'm pretty sure he was #2 in his weight class behind Micah Jordan.

Edited by Kingsland

Gulibon was the #1 at his weight coming out of HS for at least one if not two full years.

Guilibon was the #3 overall recruit. Almost as Blue Chip as it gets.  

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top200_2012.html

Certainly seems like the middle and upper weights progress at PSU more than their lightweights.  

Edited by OtisCampbell

Guilibon was the #3 overall recruit. Almost as Blue Chip as it gets.  

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top200_2012.html

Certainly seems like the middle and upper weights progress at PSU more than their lightweights.  

The list is so hit and miss. So many of the top recruits don't pan out ... sometimes the best guys don't break the top ten. Sometimes they do:

2011:

#1 Morgan McIntosh

#15 Alex Dieringer

#16 James GReen

#18 Nick Gwiazdowski

2013:

#1 Bo Jordan

#5 Isaiah Martinez

#7 J'Den Cox

#10 Nathan Tomosello

Penn State has 6(7 if Nevils was healthy) guys in their lineup that are top 10 in their recruiting class.  6 that are top 5.  And another top 5 that is redshirting.

That is unreal.

I honestly don't think there has been that type of talent on 1 team before. At least since I have been paying attention (late 80s early 90s).  

Maybe OSU has done it in the past but I doubt it.  

Iowa has had 4 since 2005. Metcalf #2 and Ramos #10  Nate Moore #8, Kemerer #8.

Oh and PSU has 3 in next years class

Edited by OtisCampbell

What's more surprising to me is jimmy's inability to get out from bottom.  he is a AA and upperclassman, he shouldn't be ridden for over 3 minutes.  mckenna's ride was not overly impressive either, its like as if dake was all over him.  just forward pressure, before watching the match and seeing the results via twitter, i just assumed that gilbon was small for the weight but he looks like a full size 41 pounder.  i'm not taking anything away from mckenna (im a jersey guy) but im surprised at the result

bigger question is whose the favorite at 41?

Is Jimmy Gulibon undersized for 141?  I'm not a good judge of these things, and realize that this may be the best option for PSU, but it does look like he's being outmuscled a bit at this weight.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just Googled around and learned that 133 was a challenging cut for him.

Edited by pamela

Ever since seeing Tony Ramos manhandle Guilibon, I thought he was under-strength at 133. I hoped that he would pick up strength to complement his impressive quickness. Didn't happen at 133 .... Moving to 141 his lack of strength is even more apparent. Individually he'd do better at 131, but the team needs him at 141. Still can have a good tournament run if he finds a way to stop power TDs and to put opponents on defense on feet, but I don't see the power needed for him to dominate on top or down.