Sign in to follow this  
NJFAN

Gulibon v. McKenna

Ever since seeing Tony Ramos manhandle Guilibon, I thought he was under-strength at 133. I hoped that he would pick up strength to complement his impressive quickness. Didn't happen at 133 .... Moving to 141 his lack of strength is even more apparent. Individually he'd do better at 131, but the team needs him at 141. Still can have a good tournament run if he finds a way to stop power TDs and to put opponents on defense on feet, but I don't see the power needed for him to dominate on top or down.

The first take down in that match came when Tony executed a blast double and went right thru Jimmy's defense. Zane Richards beat Jimmy in OT with a double. I think Dardanes also hit Jimmy with a blast double in the last 30 seconds or so to beat him last January. McKenna, a freight train double. I think this is partly a strength issue in the sense that once they gain the leverage the defensive strength is gone, but partly also a head and hands defense issue that allows them to get to Jimmy in the first place. Just my $0.02. 

Edited by TBar1977

The decision for Gulibon to go up was made a while ago so I figured he would be noticeable bigger this season but I'm really not seeing it. His energy level also seems a bit low, especially at the beginning of matches, which is really odd considering he doesn't have a difficult cut. It's still November so he has time to right the ship but expectations are definitely tempered a bit. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Gulibon may, and the key word is may, benefit from dropping down to 133, but would the team?  I highly doubt Conaway, who is truly a 125lber, would be productive at 141.  The current lineup is best for the team................................BUT, if they dropped Gulibon to 133, Retherford to 141 and pulled Joseph's redshirt at 149...............................................I would have to rethink my season pass on the OkState train!

Gulibon will AA, but won't crack top 3.  Right now, I'm seeing McKenna, Jordan, Heil, Jack, Ashnault, Henderson, Guilbon, Mecate, in that order, unless some young stud comes out of the woodwork, and pulls another Jack/Moisey situation.  

I believe Jordan/Heil had a few rounds in HS, or were at least in similar tourneys.  Anyone know how those matches fared then?  Not saying that past wins/losses predicate future wins/losses, but it adds context and color.

You're correct I doubt he could beat Mr. Conaway who is an All-American as well...Mr. Conaway is still undefeated and not challenged to date...Mr. Gulibon made his bed and as comfortable as it is he'll be fine!!!

Dropping back down to 133 probably isn't an option for Gulibon right now, given the rest of PSU's lineup. Cael also said it's been a tough cut and 141 is much more doable.

Edited by CTMopar

The first take down in that match came when Tony executed a blast double and went right thru Jimmy's defense. Zane Richards beat Jimmy in OT with a double. I think Dardanes also hit Jimmy with a blast double in the last 30 seconds or so to beat him last January. McKenna, a freight train double. I think this is partly a strength issue in the sense that once they gain the leverage the defensive strength is gone, but partly also a head and hands defense issue that allows them to get to Jimmy in the first place. Just my $0.02.

Agree to your point regarding head and hands defense, it's a fair point. I theorized strength because of three vulnerabilities 1) to power doubles, 2) inability to escape and 3) inability to finish takedowns. Technique can help him better address all three, but I still suspect strength as a partial given all three weaknesses exist.

I remain an optimist regarding him because technique and strength are more likely improved vs - quickness. His head, confidence and focus are taking hits though.

Edited by swoopdown