Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Why doesn't Flo have an app yet?

would be nice if they had an app for tv streaming services too, like Roku, apple tv, amazon fire, etc. connecting the laptop to the tv via hdmi cable is pretty low rent.

Since you mentioned AppleTV, do you have an iOS device? If so, you can mirror website content, but that experience sucks compared to AirPlay content from say an app on an iOS device.

scribe, if I'm not mistaken, a substantial portion of the money you pay for that single-event subscription on Track (I want to say somewhere in the 70-80% range) actually goes back to the event organizers, and further, they keep the rights to that event if I'm not mistaken. (Also, the organizers set the price, not Track)

My biggest wish-list item for Flo is logically organizing the outstanding library they have on Technique Wave. If they put that into a sleek app, I would happily have them double my monthly fee.

I agree that's another area that could def be improved. It almost seems to have regressed as far as searching for clips. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining bc flo is an awesome service and well worth the money... Just kicking around ideas of how it could be better.

would be nice if they had an app for tv streaming services too, like Roku, apple tv, amazon fire, etc. connecting the laptop to the tv via hdmi cable is pretty low rent.

I use my iPad and AirPlay to Apple TV.

Suggest you put Apple TV on your Christmas wish list

I use my iPad and AirPlay to Apple TV.

Suggest you put Apple TV on your Christmas wish list

Are you using AirPlay or Mirroring?

Edit: got it AirPlay works for me.

Jaroslav - The last I checked ATV3 is about $65 and ATV4 is about $150 or $200.

Edited by pm-01

Based on my observations over the years, Trackwrestling is a tech company and Flowrestling is a media company. While more and more we see these two companies competing with one another, you can really see there core comps and real focuses come through in the products and how they conduct business.

Track seems to put a lot of effort into their product and is constantly developing new products and working for continuous improvements. They seem to put very little into the way of marketing to consumers and seem more excited about bringing innovative wrestling technologies and efficiencies to market. It sometimes feels like they release quality products with hardly any anouncement becuase they are so confident it will stand on its own without a need for hype. But maybe they just put so many resources into their technical staff that they are tech centric and see marketing and sales people as a waste of resources. It is like Track see's their job as making lives easier for people who are in the wrestling business and will respond with technologies no matter the direction wrestling goes.

Flo seems to see themselves as the premier wrestling media and want to be known as the go to source for information in the sport of wrestling, and work to market themselves as thought leaders of the sport. It is like they see themselves as Wrestling's PR firm where it is their job to get people excited about wrestling and will put on some events to help drive excitment in the sport. As a result, the technology seems to be more of an ancillary part of their business.

I would expect Track to have an Appp before Flo and if Flo did launch one to service all of their verticals, I would suspect it would be licensed technology from another company or maybe brought in from an acquisition.

(Posted via mobile)

Edited by Pinnum

Based on my observations over the years, Trackwrestling is a tech company and Flowrestling is a media company. While more and more we see these two companies competing with one another, you can really see there core comps and real focuses come through in the products and how they conduct business.

Track seems to put a lot of effort into their product and is constantly developing new products and working for continuous improvements. They seem to put very little into the way of marketing to consumers and seem more excited about bringing innovative wrestling technologies and efficiencies to market. It sometimes feels like they release quality products with hardly any anouncement becuase they are so confident it will stand on its own without a need for hype. But maybe they just put so many resources into their technical staff that they are tech centric and see marketing and sales people as a waste of resources. It is like Track see's their job as making lives easier for people who are in the wrestling business and will respond with technologies no matter the direction wrestling goes.

Flo seems to see themselves as the premier wrestling media and want to be known as the go to source for information in the sport of wrestling, and work to market themselves as thought leaders of the sport. It is like they see themselves as Wrestling's PR firm where it is their job to get people excited about wrestling and will put on some events to help drive excitment in the sport. As a result, the technology seems to be more of an ancillary part of their business.

I would expect Track to have an Appp before Flo and if Flo did launch one to service all of their verticals, I would suspect it would be licensed technology from another company or maybe brought in from an acquisition.

(Posted via mobile)

maybe Track could develop the app and Flo could license it! then mortal enemies would become friends! or at least partners. 

analysis sounds pretty good to me though. i also see how Track and Flo have different core competencies and bring different products to the market. they seem more like complimentary companies then direct competitors but that's just a cursory opinion from a consumer. have no idea where the future plans for either company will take them.

Jaroslav - The last I checked ATV3 is about $65 and ATV4 is about $150 or $200.

probably just stick with my low rent HDMI cable. trying to limit my consumption of gadgets. still appreciate the suggestion though!

(Posted via mobile)

Spot on! Can you image where Track would be if they hired a small marketing team?

I know this is off subject a bit but didn't think it warranted it's own thread.  As far as Flo's beef with the NWCA, why can't they simply get the coaches to add them as a media contact?  I know I'm able to do this with all the newspapers in my area I'm not sure why flo would be any different.  Matches end, push one button and flo could have access to match results immediately at the conclusion of the match.  

Apps are worthless with any decent website having mobile capability. If you have a good mobile platform there is no need for an App.

it would be nice to have one for my amazon fire stick. 

mobile apps are totally worthless but i don't get a chuckle out of websites with apps that are little more than bookmarks. 

I know this is off subject a bit but didn't think it warranted it's own thread.  As far as Flo's beef with the NWCA, why can't they simply get the coaches to add them as a media contact?  I know I'm able to do this with all the newspapers in my area I'm not sure why flo would be any different.  Matches end, push one button and flo could have access to match results immediately at the conclusion of the match.  

It sounds like the NWCA has some system where schools have to run their matches through track instead of having the option of choosing the Flo Arena software.  They come off sounding very amateurish though taking the complaints to the airwaves/calling the system "un-american," etc.  Reminded me a lot of when Martin used to complain about not having access to videotape matches/interviews at some tournaments and called it communist in some long diatribe.  Now that flo has the rights to certain tournaments and run their own, they do the same thing that they used to complain about...So I wouldn't take too much of their complaints here.  

It's in the best interest of NCAA wrestling to keep trackwrestling around to compete with flo down the line, so giving them exclusive access to running tournaments while flo dominates the video streaming side seems fair.  

Edited by Billyhoyle