maligned

Thoughts on Taylor at 86kg

I, like the rest of us, didn't get to see Taylor's second match today.  And he's got his bronze match with Lashgari of Iran still to come.  But his first match left me with a few impressions:

Positives:

1. Great body!  He looks fantastic physically at 86.  I wish he would have made the jump even sooner.  

2. His balance, flexibility, and scrambling seem to translate to 86.

Negatives:

1. His injury struggles seem to have followed him up a weight (bad back a significant factor).

2. His conditioning was awful.  I understand his back was bothering him, but a guy with a hurt back that's not sucking wind stands, moves, and has much different posture from a guy whose back is killing him while he's also gassed.  The back issue was surely accentuating the struggle for breath, but clearly his conditioning has not caught up to his added strength and muscle.  

Lashgari teched him 10-0 in the first period. He looked much bigger and stronger than Taylor and simply had his way with him. For a little while, it looked like Lashgari was going for a Karelin reverse body lift due to the physiological differential.

I think Taylor is learning that he's going to have to make some big adjustments to his technique or get bigger. His scramble positions and usual step-over shot counters are not effective like they were at 74kg/165lb in college. And unfortunately, those step-over counters were a big part of both his defense and scoring repertoire.

Edited by pamela

Dake and Taylor simply have no shot. Would be much easier beating Burroughs. Burroughs would have been teched also. They are lucky we do not have a medal contender at 189 or they would have no chance to make our team either. The Iranian simply bullied him. But honestly Dake and Taylor are up two weight classes in reality. Adam Satiev who is about their size did it but that is very rare. Plus I honestly don't think they could medal at 163 either. But at least would have a shot. 

It just goes to show how tough international competition is.  For Taylor to not score in two matches is hard to imagine for those who watched him in college.  It had to have crossed his mind that he owns a win over the guy who won the 74kg gold medal.  Definitely a humbling back to the drawing board loss.  Respect to Lashgari, he's a great, seasoned wrestler.  Love this tournament.  Small but super tough.  

It just goes to show how tough international competition is.  For Taylor to not score in two matches is hard to imagine for those who watched him in college.  It had to have crossed his mind that he owns a win over the guy who won the 74kg gold medal.  Definitely a humbling back to the drawing board loss.  Respect to Lashgari, he's a great, seasoned wrestler.  Love this tournament.  Small but super tough.  

When did he beat Burroughs? He's been close, but has yet to beat Dake, let alone JB. 

Foster beat Lashgari last year I believe. 

He did beat him at the World Cup, also beat 2013 World Champ Aldatov.

That said, Lashgari is very tough and a 2x Bronze. Bear in mind that Taylor annihilated Livan Lopez (3x Bronze, 1x Silver) and got mauled by a guy who's a long shot to make Irans team this year. He's going to need another year before the jury is out on his bump. 

Didn't see any of the matches yet, and it sounds like Taylor took a drubbing from Lashgari, but I'm not giving up on Taylor yet. He's just getting his feet wet at 86, and Lashgari is an Olympic silver medalist and World bronze medalist at 86 already. And besides, look at Clayton Foster - isn't he one of the favorites to win the 86 trials, and he went one and done here.

Yes, looks like Taylor has a major gap to close within a few months, but I think he can do it. (Ok, maybe I'll change my mind after I see the video of Lashgari ragdolling him, but even then, maybe not.)

Have no idea what Taylor's coaches have in mind, and maybe I'm wrong, but I would think the Yarygin would be another very helpful prep as well as another litmus test against some of the best 86 kgs in the world.

US and Iran at 86/84kg:

2015: 

Karimi bronze

Herbert one and done vs. Aminashvili (bronze)

2014:

Mohammadian bronze

Ruth 1-1, loses 7-4 to Mohammadian

2013:

Lashgari bronze

Gavin 1-1, destroyed by Marsagashvili, who is then destroyed by Lashgari

2012:

Lashgari bronze

Herbert 1-2, loses 5-4 in the third to Bolukbasi, who loses 3-2, 3-0 to Lashgari

2011:

Goudarzi 3-2, loses to Sanderson 6-0, 1-0

Sanderson 5th place

2010:

Lashgari and Herbert both 0-1, losing to Stefan and Salas, respectively

2009:

Mirzaei 0-1, loses to Salas

Herbert silver

2008:

Yazdani 1-1, loss to Temrezov

Hrovat 1-1, loses 2-2 in the third to Salas

It looked to me like the injury to Taylor's back severely hampered his wrestling. It looked like he was in quite a bit of pain in that first match. Taylor took quite a long injury time and the trainer used about 1/2 a can of cold spray! He was not able to change levels at all after that. Would like to see how he would do without injury. I think his results were good considering his injury. He didn't look small in his first match, didn't see the next match. Lashgari is a house compared to DT though.

Edited by jstock