maligned

Thoughts on Taylor at 86kg

Well Rome wasn't built in a day, so let's see how this plays out a little longer. I believe we might not see much of anything from David until 2017. He may weight 86 Kg. But I don't believe he has a body of an elite 86 Kg. Just yet.

Iran has had our number at 189 even more so than Russia since 2005 at worlds even more so than russia. Just searched back to 2005. We are 1-11 here! The only win was Cael in 2011 which was very dominant win. If Cael would have continued here in 2005 he would have utterly dominated this weight in the US and maybe even internationally. I see Cael beating Lashgari everytime but in close matches.Cael absolutely toyed with Taylor in the room mostly due to simple strength and size. We simply don't have a medal contender at this weight. NO Caels or anyone in college that I see either. And then you have the best guy on the planet here. Cael at his best loses to Sadulleav 2 out of 3 maybe. 

But in Taylor and Dakes defense 163 to 189 is like a two weight class bump at the highest level. What I am saying here is there should be another weight class in between. No other bump in any other weight class is more difficult. Taylor and Dake are just in a bad place. If I were there coach I would say stay at 163. 

It looked to me like the injury to Taylor's back severely hampered his wrestling. It looked like he was in quite a bit of pain in that first match. Taylor took quite a long injury time and the trainer used about 1/2 a can of cold spray! He was not able to change levels at all after that. Would like to see how he would do without injury. I think his results were good considering his injury. He didn't look small in his first match, didn't see the next match. Lashgari is a house compared to DT though.

Does anyone know what exactly the injury is/was?  It looked like it might've been serious, as he couldn't even stand up or move for a little while there. The injury looked like it might've been more on the vertebrae/sacrum end of the spectrum as opposed to something like a muscle bruise, cramp, or spasm. Could affect his career if the trauma is spinal or bone related. I hope he's all right.

Well, after watching the replay, it looks like he might've thrown his back at around 6:58 while trying to lift/drive through his opponent... but then again, we see the trainer rubbing Taylor's ribs, then his lower back. And DT looks lethargic, like he's about to throw up or poop the entire time, so maybe it was actually some other type of timeout there. :D

DT looks fantastic physically. He has gained some serious quality weight and is thicker all over, especially his hips and upper thighs where he was formerly skinny.

As far as wrestling, he got his ass handed to him by a significantly better wrestler. There's no shame in that. You have to learn to move again after you gain almost 30 lbs. The same moves that worked against guys you could dominate with freaky leverage no longer work. It's a process and it'll be a while before we see DT's best. It's smart that he committed to the weight with the long term in mind. I wouldn't make too much of this outcome. I still think moving up was the best move for him long term.

Taylor seems very upset at the end. Does not shake hands. It seems like he knows it's all over for him. No chance at 86. 

Shiraz, you are quite the mindreader. Maybe DT was just pissed he lost-- and he did shake hands.

Also, haven't we heard forever about Dake being to short for 86K.  I'd say Dake is taller than Lashgari, though maybe not as strong.

My 2 cents.  Taylor is stronger and bigger, but still adjusting to 86kg and has a ways to go yet.

My guess is his back was bothering him the whole day, and he injured it worse in his first match.  I have a bad back, and flying absolutely sucks, could not even imagine flying into AZB.  Had to be a nightmare.  If its a spasm/disk type thing its gonna be an issue for him in his training.  There is only one way to be able to keep training and heal the back problem, its not exactly legal.  Otherwise its either anti-inflamitorys and ice, and not being able to train for weeks or months. 

Wow! I knew he was small for the weight but he looks like he is still 74 wrestling 86. That's a wrap, which is unfortunate. Will he go down as the greatest to never make a world team, like he is the greatest to never win three titles?

Wow! I knew he was small for the weight but he looks like he is still 74 wrestling 86. That's a wrap, which is unfortunate. Will he go down as the greatest to never make a world team, like he is the greatest to never win three titles?

John Smith is the greatest to never win three titles.  Also, the move to 86kg is as much about 2020 as it is about 2016.  

After watching these videos from Baku, it looks like Taylor "belongs" at 86. Didn't think he looked small for the weight class, but after the Lashgari match, looked like DT needs a little more upper body strength. Then again, he may have been injured. He looked very slow against Lashgari.  

C'mon David, more steak and eggs for breakfast and more free weights. (Just kidding, saying this in jest, had to go a little old school here.)   

But really, hope DT doesn't have a serious back injury. 

Edited by 2td3nf

Hokie...... i agree he has a long way to go to have the strength to wrestle this weight............ but uh "greatest to never win three titles" that would be Wade Schalles.

Kyle Dake and David Taylor are just unfortunate "victims" of being behind an all time great. That's just the breaks especially with only 6 weight classes.

Add Howe to that list...dominates Iran's #1 this past weekend in a high-energy, pro-Iran environment.  In 2011 and 2012, right as Burroughs was launching, I thought Howe was a top 5 U.S. pound for pound guy.  Go back and watch matches of him at the 2012 Olympic trials up to and including the match he gets hurt against Burroughs.  And he's still a beast today suffering the same fate as Taylor/Dake.

Edited by maligned

Iran is awful at 74. Not as bad as America at 86, since with a good draw Iran can medal at 74 which is not the case for 86 in the US. But still very weak. I wasn't surprised Ghasemi lost to Howe. Every country has that weak spot. For Russia it seems to be heavyweight although if Makhov fully focuses of FS he may temporarily fix that before moving to MMA.