Sign in to follow this  
newyorkwrestler

martinez and cejudo

I highly doubt he could beat Demetrious Johnson just two years into his MMA career while also training to make the Olympic team. Although Ramos is a pretty good international level wrestler but nothing special, maybe Cejudo could beat him. Would be wiser to focus on one. If he really wants to try for the Olympics then he should probably focus on that, as he won't be getting another chance. The title shot will still be here after 2016. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Cejudo wrestled ramos in close exhibition match sometime in early 2015 i think. If i recall he was winning most of the match but made a silly mistake and got pinned with very short time left. I believe he said he had been injured in his last fight and hadn't been to train for ramos so his conditioning was poor. I certainly wouldn't favor cejudo to make the team again, but in 2012 he nearly beat simmons without much training, and did the same with ramos last year. I think if he started focusing now on wrestling he could certainly have a good shot to make the team. Thompson said having top title contender for the UFC make an Olympic wrestling team would be great press for the UFC and I have to agree. It would also be great press for cejudo himself.

cejudo also posted tweets expressing interest in 2016 after the ramos exhibition match. This probably still won't happen but it would be awesome if it did, Having 3 olmpyic medalists (scott, cejudo, and abbas) compete for the spot at 57 would be awesome for wrestling fans

Edited by newyorkwrestler

Martinez at 65 will be awesome.   

For a weight class that's done nothing at the international level, it's shaping up to be a monster domestic weight class, with the potential for some hardware in Rio.   

I'd love to see Martinez and Pico square off.   That one might be worth  the price of admission.   

That is a sick cut. He wrestled 160 in HS. Wow.

I agree. I love imar, but I'll believe it when I see it. If people think he'll cut that much weight, maintain his physicality, and straight away compete with international caliber vets that were just as dominant as him in college, I think you'll be disappointed. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't consider him a contender yet.

Martinez at 65 will be awesome.

For a weight class that's done nothing at the international level, it's shaping up to be a monster domestic weight class, with the potential for some hardware in Rio.

I'd love to see Martinez and Pico square off. That one might be worth the price of admission.

I agree.. Him vs Pico or him vs gorilla hulk would be great tests for him. If he could beat them, then I think he'd have a reasonable shot at knocking off some of our top guys like Stieber, Metcalf and Oliver. Martinez could be dangerous down at 66kg!

What is his plan? He is not currently qualified for the trials, so he either needs to win the 2016 NCAA Championship or the last chance qualifier. He is very likely to win the NCAA, but this means that he will have to wrestle the NCAA Championships at 157 lbs on March 19th and then make 143 lbs. three weeks later at the trials.

I also question why Noel Thompson is the one breaking this news and if it's actually true.

What does Cejudo fight at?  He's had trouble with weight on multiple occasions in MMA and his last comeback it took him a long time to get down to scratch.  That match with Ramos wasn't at scratch 125, maybe 135?  He was way bigger than Tony...

Love to see him give it a go but I don't know if he can make 125 and be effective. 

Cejudo has been fighting at 125 so I think he could handle the weight cut.  IMAR on the other hand.... I think that would be a monster cut

A monster cut that needs to happen in monster record time. He could probably atrophy down to the weight given enough time and be effective, but I just don't see it right after an NCAA season.

A monster cut that needs to happen in monster record time. He could probably atrophy down to the weight given enough time and be effective, but I just don't see it right after an NCAA season.

I suppose none of us knows how much he's already cutting.  If he's naturally only 165 and he's in great shape already following NCAAs AND he doesn't have to win the last-chance qualifier, 3 weeks is enough time to make the cut.  Still...he'll only be a shell of his former self when he's not accustomed to that cut and is jumping straight into high-level freestyle.  The more we play out the scenario, the more I agree with others that it seems unlikely.

Insane.

The thing with IMar is he's an undersized 74kg but not nearly as undersized as Taylor or Dake up a weight (to whatever it is). [He looked undersized at 74kg in the Junior World trials and nationals where he lost to Valencia is what I'm referring to.]

Anyone know what his walking around weight is? 

Cejudo fights at 125 but it's a rough cut and mma has more recovery time than wrestling.

He's probably next in line for fighting for the title, but doing some wrestling might actually help him there. He's been winning his fights by clinch boxing but against Mighty Mousr that seems like a bad plan. Gotta take him down and punish him there.

I think the recovery time for MMA and Freestyle are very similar.  Both weigh in the night before the match and there is only one weigh in. 

As far as Imar goes if he isn't cutting a huge amount to make 157 (If his normal weight is less than 170) I think he can do it.  A lot depends how healthy he is after a long college season.

Freestyle is roughly 14 hrs (6 pm weigh in, 8 am start time?) and mma maybe 28 hrs (6 pm weigh in, 10 pm fight).

Obviously these numbers will vary from event to event but clearly the mma recovery time is longer. For a huge cutter it probably makes a difference.