Sign in to follow this  
emk1

Rutgers at Iowa

Iowa has Rutgers coming to their home December 10. Could RU pull an upset?

125 Gilman (2) I vs McCabe too much horsepower 3 - 0 Iowa

133 Clark (2) I vs Giraldo (17) could be close but... 6 - 0 Iowa

141 Ryan/Kadel I vs Ashnault (3) looking for major 6-4 Iowa (Ashnault with fall 6-6)

149 Sorenson (3) I vs Dipperly another could be close 9-4 Iowa

157 Cooper I vs Lewis go with RU 9-7 Iowa

165 Paddock/Rhoads I vs Perotti (9) posssible fall/major 9-11 RU takes lead

174 Meyer (6) I vs Bakuckas could be close 12-11 Iowa

184 Brooks (12) I vs Gravina could be upset here 15-11 Iowa

197 Burak (4) I vs Hrymack also close one here 18-11 Iowa

HWT Stoll I vs Smith (7) going for fall 18-17 Iowa

Guessing Iowa wins 6 matches but RU wins 4 with some bonus points. Looking forward to watching on BTN + on December 10.

Close!

ummm.... you did pick the correct winner  ;-)

Cooper and Stoll pull off upsets, so Iowa gets 8 wins instead of 6.  TF's by Gilman and Sorenson. MD by Clark and ?Brooks

Stoll is going to be a force!

#2 IOWA 29, #11 Rutgers 6 
125 - #2 Thomas Gilman (IA) tech. fall #18 Sean McCabe ®, 21-6; 5-0 
133 - #2 Cory Clark (IA) major dec. #17 Anthony Giraldo ®, 11-2; 9-0 
141 - #3 Anthony Ashnault ® dec. Topher Carton (IA), 8-4; 9-3 
149 - #2 Brandon Sorensen (IA) tech. fall Tyson Dippery ®, 21-6; 14-3 
157 - Edwin Cooper, Jr. (IA) dec. #17 Richie Lewis ®, 6-4; 17-3 
165 - #12 Anthony Perrotti ® dec. Patrick Rhoads (IA), 8-7; 17-6 
174 - #3 Alex Meyer (IA) dec. Phil Bakuckas ®, 8-3; 20-6 
184 - #8 Sammy Brooks (IA) dec. Nichalas Gravina ®, 11-5; 23-6 
197 - #4 Nathan Burak (IA) dec. Hayden Hrymack ®, 6-1; 26-6 
285 - Sam Stoll (IA) dec. #6 Billy Smith ®, 3-1 (OT); 29-6 

Actually, the only close bouts were the upset wins by Iowa.

Edited by NJDan

Put this match in NJ on a Thursday night instead and Rutgers wins 2 more matches and has bigger margin of victories at 141 and 165. Ref was awful. He hit Rutgers with multiple bogus stall calls including one against Smith in o.t. that prompted him to take a bad shot and give up the takedown. Stoll didn't take one shot the entire match and continuously tied up and tried to push Smith out of bounds. Cooper won on a locked hands call. 

This is typical early Iowa, they haven't left the state yet and Brands is training them like Midlands is NCAAs.  I see the

usual drop off in performance the second half of the season as travel and burn out catch up with them. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Put this match in NJ on a Thursday night instead and Rutgers wins 2 more matches and has bigger margin of victories at 141 and 165. Ref was awful. He hit Rutgers with multiple bogus stall calls including one against Smith in o.t. that prompted him to take a bad shot and give up the takedown. Stoll didn't take one shot the entire match and continuously tied up and tried to push Smith out of bounds. Cooper won on a locked hands call. 

This is typical early Iowa, they haven't left the state yet and Brands is training them like Midlands is NCAAs.  I see the

usual drop off in performance the second half of the season as travel and burn out catch up with them. 

There is that Tiger Blood. 

What does leaving the state have to do with anything? I guess Iowa should have made the epic journey out to California to challenge the mighty CSB & Stanford to test their manhood.

Cooper won by 2 points. 

Stoll is the only one hit with a bogus stall in that match. 

But it is good to see Iowa has you nervous enough to use Word to write up your posts. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Rutgers looked pretty bad, even in the matches they won. An uninspired performance and the coaches can't be happy.

The ref did a poor job calling stalling. It most benefited Iowa, but there were some head scratchers in both directions. Gilman earned a pair of calls by getting an underhook and pushing straight out, which is not the intent of the rule.

Regardless, Iowa wrestled pretty well and Rutgers didn't. Watching some of the Rutgers guys crumble at the end of matches was strange to see from a pretty good team.

Rutgers looked pretty bad, even in the matches they won. An uninspired performance and the coaches can't be happy.

The ref did a poor job calling stalling. It most benefited Iowa, but there were some head scratchers in both directions. Gilman earned a pair of calls by getting an underhook and pushing straight out, which is not the intent of the rule.

Regardless, Iowa wrestled pretty well and Rutgers didn't. Watching some of the Rutgers guys crumble at the end of matches was strange to see from a pretty good team.

Sometimes really good teams make good teams bad.  

Idiot......

Edited by Serial_Thriller

"Idiot" - "Bad Fan", Typical brain dead responses. It's amusing how every year I get called names yet when the season's over, I'm proven right time and time again. I will enjoy pulling this one up again later in the season, lol.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I know every team has bad fans, but you would assume every team has good fans too?  Where are the good Penn State Fans on this board?

They became bad fans automatically by virtue of Penn State's winning so many National Titles. 

So far I'm very impressed by this Iowa squad.  I see them as a serious title threat.  More upside than PSU in terms of potential finalists IMO.  Burak, Brooks, Sorenson, Clark and Gilman may be the best five of any squad in the country.  

Burak is not a finalist under any circumstances other than a mountain of upsets taking Mac and J'Den out before he faces them. Brooks is also questionable, but he could make it in theory. The other three could easily make it, or not. 

There is that Tiger Blood. 

What does leaving the state have to do with anything? I guess Iowa should have made the epic journey out to California to challenge the mighty CSB & Stanford to test their manhood.

Cooper won by 2 points. 

Stoll is the only one hit with a bogus stall in that match. 

But it is good to see Iowa has you nervous enough to use Word to write up your posts. 

Are you really going to act like traveling half way across the country during the week is not a disadvantage? I'm certainly not saying Rutgers would of won but it absolutely mattered with some of these close results.

Rutgers guy had to let Cooper up because of the lock hands point, otherwise he could of rode him out and at least went to o.t. Pretty sure coop was just licking mat when he let him up.

Oh and Brooks was soooo pinned, my god how long was he on his back and the ref wouldn't call it, wow.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

fun match. definitely felt the calls favored Iowa but thats what i expected in Iowa City. Iowa was also better conditioned in pretty much every match, so that helped. Iowa showed Rutgers they have a ways to go. nothing lost by wrestling tough competition though. also its a great excuse to get PSU and Iowa fans yelling at each other. no one ever gets tired of that!

Are you really going to act like traveling half way across the country during the week is not a disadvantage? I'm certainly not saying Rutgers would of won but it absolutely mattered with some of these close results.

Rutgers guy had to let Cooper up because of the lock hands point, otherwise he could of rode him out and at least went to o.t. Pretty sure coop was just licking mat when he let him up.

Oh and Brooks was soooo pinned, my god how long was he on his back and the ref wouldn't call it, wow.

Several fans on Hawkeye board are even saying Brooks was pinned. Ironside even commented he might be pinned. But in Carver Hawkeye Arena you can't expect to get that call. 

This time of year is tough to travel, many schools are also in the middle of finals, which I'm sure has lead to some late night "cramming" for some Rutgers students. That, matched with flying to wrestle a conditioned team in a hostile environment...results aren't that surprising.

I expect RU to look better vs Nebraska, but also expect them to take another loss.

This thread is everything I hoped it could become.  Penn State fans feeling nervous so they start degrading a win over the #9 dual team in the country.  They shouldn't.  Iowa isn't going to have the widespread firepower Penn State does, nor the guaranteed horse Okie State has.  But to try to take away from the actual match last night is hilarious.  Iowa dominated throughout the match.  Hell, Topher Carton took down Anthony Ashnault.