Sign in to follow this  
emk1

Rutgers at Iowa

A referee just told us Dennis want pinned. That the other camera angle showed his entire side was off the mat.

With regards to Brooks, it would have been a defensive fall, ie the controlled wrestler getting the fall which rarely is called, and never that quickly in college.

Perry-Evans was from neutral, as opposed to Evans being controlled by Perry.

Nuance, hopefully someone buys you a dictionary this Christmas.

I have trouble with them there big lawyerly words, Vak, but I do know what hypocrisy means. 

:-))

You guys shouldn't get so worked up. Honestly everyone else is shooting for 2nd place in the years to come. Hard to compete against a PSU team "sponsored" by NLWC.  

You guys have a great setup there. 

Now there you go again, Otis, insinuating that the PSU team is bought and paid for by some slush fund. Surprised you failed to mention how Flo Willie is steering recruits our way. LOL.

Can hardly wait for this to be settled on the mat.

:-))

Edited by TBar1977

A referee just told us Dennis want pinned. That the other camera angle showed his entire side was off the mat.

With regards to Brooks, it would have been a defensive fall, ie the controlled wrestler getting the fall which rarely is called, and never that quickly in college.

Perry-Evans was from neutral, as opposed to Evans being controlled by Perry.

Nuance, hopefully someone buys you a dictionary this Christmas.

So defensive falls are called slowly and rarely, but no-control falls from neutral are called quick and common?

So defensive falls are called slowly and rarely, but no-control falls from neutral are called quick and common?

No, but they are called more frequently and more quickly, because typically, the person trying to pin has some control. Ness was trying to expose Dennis, that's why the ref was looking for it almost immediately.

No, but they are called more frequently and more quickly, because typically, the person trying to pin has some control. Ness was trying to expose Dennis, that's why the ref was looking for it almost immediately.

I'd love to see stats on that, but I seriously doubt there are more neutral falls called than defensive ones.

I thought I clicked on the Iowa-Rutgers thread? Iowa is pretty darn solid and better than I thought. Sure it is still early and many more tests ahead, but Iowa proved they will be right in the team race come March. 

I thought I clicked on the Iowa-Rutgers thread? Iowa is pretty darn solid and better than I thought. Sure it is still early and many more tests ahead, but Iowa proved they will be right in the team race come March. 

But they didn't wrestle outside the state of Iowa yet. They have only dueled and beat the #4 and #9 ranked dual teams, and smashed their in-state rival and one of the most storied programs in the nation Iowa State.  

hqdefault.jpg

How can they be tough?

I mean who wouldn't win a dual at home in front of a record breaking crowd with a rabid home crowd advantage.

CV32hdxWEAAIloF.jpg

Edited by OtisCampbell

So with an objective ref, Rutgers would of won 157, 184 (by fall) and 285 and the dual 18-17. Interesting, I just assumed Iowa would of still won.

NEWS ALERT!!!!!

The score has been recalculated by the unbiased and thoughtful Flying-Tiger.  Rutgers beat Iowa by a point.  Spread the word and the official score changed!   LOL!

Perry, you're exactly right and that was one of points when I started posting in this thread. You had people chest beating over this win but BigTens and NCAAs aren't wrestled in Carver on a Thursday night with a homer ref. This has been a common theme for Iowa, as hard as Brands works his guys physically, he really baby's them psychologically early in the season by wrestling community and Jr. colleges, keeping his blue chip freshmen in the jr. division at opens and not really traveling anywhere. It ends up biting them in the second half of season every time. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Referee's Thought Process:

1. Brooks is flat...I'll pretend I don't notice.
  2. Darn, still flat. I'll have to take a closer "look."
  3. Yep, left shoulder is flat - better "check" the other side.
  4. Yikes! Right shoulder also flatter than a pancake!
  5. Gee, Tommy will be really pissed if I call a pin.
  6. I know...I'll "check" the other side again!
  7. Thank God - Brooks finally rolled through.
  8. Whew! That was a close call...

Flat as can be. Not surprising it wasn't called at iowa, though. I think a lot of their kids come to expect these kind of calls at ncaas and they fall apart when they don't get them.

Spot on observation, Perry. And now that other schools have equal or better talent as Iowa the odds the NCAA Team Champion is NOT named Iowa just increases.

Perry, you're exactly right and that was one of points when I started posting in this thread. You had people chest beating over this win but BigTens and NCAAs aren't wrestled in Carver on a Thursday night with a homer ref. This has been a common theme for Iowa, as hard as Brands works his guys physically, he really baby's them psychologically early in the season by wrestling community and Jr. colleges, keeping his blue chip freshmen in the jr. division at opens and not really traveling anywhere. It ends up biting them in the second half of season every time. 

Ref reminded me of the guy who did Nat Duals last year. Their match with Iowa would have been 10x more controversial than it was except even with that guys help they still couldn't beat Missouri.