Sign in to follow this  
doubleleg121

Who wins the Hodge! Ruth or Oliver?

If Dake wins the NCAAs, he's a lock. Nobody ever won 4 NCAAs in 4 different weight classes.

Sent from Tapatalk

The hodge is for this year. Not the last 3.

Up to now, I would have to say J.Olive or L. Stieber with Ruth right behind. Then Dake.

I would think the level of competition would be taken into consideration as well. Beating a previously undefeated national champion in OT is worth more than a tech over a random any day of the week to me. That said, I would go with L. Steiber or JO, assuming they both keep going at their current pace all the same.

Not that Ruth or Oliver aren't worthy... but I wouldn't cont Dake out yet...

Yeah this is one year where Dake actually deserves consideration for the Hodge. He is 16-0 on the season so far with 7 falls, 4 majors, and 5 decisions with only 2 of those decisions being within 3 points(Taylor and Caldwell). Dake's previous seasons had him put up good numbers and obvious ncaa success but he wasn't exactly putting up bonus point numbers quite like what he has so far this year and domination is the biggest criteria for the Hodge. So if Dake finishes undefeated winning his 4th title and beats Taylor 2 official times this year, along with keeping up the bonus point numbers he's had so far. He definitely is in consideration for the Hodge for sure.

Dake is out of it. He lost that match tonight. No way he wins the Hodge. Oliver is the guy at mid season if he keeps this pace up he wins it. But Oliver has to keep slaying people all year or Dake will win it just based on the 4 titles thing. Ruth is a wildcard to me.

No love for McD right? He is a Hawkeye so I understand.

No knocks against McD, he's an absolute stud and most likely a 3x champ (although I'd like Waters to pull the upset). I don't think he wins in the same way that JO, Steiber or Ed Ruth do though.

The hodge is for this year. Not the last 3.

It does take into past credentials does it not????????

Yes but it's biggest criteria is the current years ncaa results and domination. Metcalf won the Hodge over an undefeated champ who barely scored bonus points while Metcalf slayed people left and right and even got pinned but still won the Hodge because he was the best and most dominant wrestler in the ncaa which is what the award is for.

I agree I think Dake will win it if he wins the NCAA. He has been dominate except against Caldwell and DT. I don't think those matches will hurt his chances. The reason I think it will be someone other than them is because I think DT wins the NCAA. My reason as I have said is simply playing the odds. Again, if DT was 2-0 I would bet on Dake. While it could obviously happen I just have a hard time betting on either one of them winning 3 in a row.

If I had to pick right now I would say Oliver then Ruth. I think Ruth has the potential but the difference is Oliver will try to run the score even against top opponents. Ruth could have scored more in the finals in my opinion, but didin't. That is the difference between the two. Oliver will always try to score more no matter what it seems. If Ruth were to chase the Hodge and really begin racking up points I would go with him.