Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Way early season Hodge frontrunners?

Maybe I don't. I saw the match.  It is my opinion that Sorenson is a vastly better folkstyle wrestler and has vastly improved from the time he had not even wrestled a varsity match.  

Of course Retherford COULD major Sorenson. I guess Sorenson COULD major Retherford.  

I stated my opinion and stated I will never post again if he does mostly because for godsakes he has wrestled 4 matches. 

I am sure Rutherford has improved since his true freshman year, but he was not a bonus point machine then. http://www.wrestlestats.com/wrestler/profile/11781/retherford-zain

and he pinned or teched 3 out of his first 4 that year as well. 

If you are so sure he is going to crush him why don't you bet the same?

I mean if we are going off of the matches wrestled so far and how guys looked Sammy Brooks is the leading candidate for the Hodge.  

"vastly better folkstyle wrestler"? Zain took him down with ease and turned him to his back several times quick. Oh yeah you are right that will never work in a folkstyle match. smh. Go watch it again to refresh your memory.

I am sure Soreson has improved, but so has Zain. I would sure love them to meet up this year. I am not going to make a bet that Zain will bonus him, though I believe he will(but it is possible that Soreson will just stall and do nothing to avoid bonus while trying not to win). I WILL bet that IF Soreson can bonus Zain,  I will NEVER post here again. Zain potentially has a good test this Sunday with Cobb. We will see if the early hype is just that.

Sammy Brooks is my favorite Iowa wrestler and very underrated, I also like Cory Clark. 

And yeesh.  Now Zain is going to bonus everybody because he bonused Sal Mastriani.  What a time to be alive.

This guy posts this about once a week. How about we save the shirts and win the title.

125 Finalist

133 Finalist

141 Grothus finalist

149 Finalist

174 AA

184 Finalist

197 AA or Finalist

Hwt AA

This is from the HR. WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just had to bring this thread back down to reality.

Let's see him wrestle a match first before we start talking about him putting bonus on a top 3 wrestler.  And yeesh.  Now Zain is going to bonus everybody because he bonused Sal Mastriani.  What a time to be alive.

There didn't seem to be any limits on the "what-ifs".

I'm preparing to encourage Otis to keep posting even if Hunter majors Sorenson. 

This guy posts this about once a week. How about we save the shirts and win the title.

125 Finalist

133 Finalist

141 Grothus finalist

149 Finalist

174 AA

184 Finalist

197 AA or Finalist

Hwt AA

This is from the HR. WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just had to bring this thread back down to reality.

....i didn't write that....

Maybe you need to watch Zain vs Sorenson from the Junior team trials from last year. Zain teched him in like 2 minutes. Absolutely hammered Sorenson. Go give it a watch on youtube, it is real quick. 

So Sorenson outscored Sal 15-1 in two matches, it took Zain 2 periods to beat him 15-0. 

I know you are not hating on Retherford, I read your post. I do think Zain could definitely bonus Sorenson. Obviously Tsirtsis has some issues right now understandably, him at 100% I do not think Zain could bonus. Just my opinion. 

anything is possible but as tough as ZR is... bonusing Sorenson is a tall order, he is so tough defensively.

The list in order of most likely

1 - Ringer

2 - Gwiz

3 - I Mar

4 - ZR

5 - Dean (He tends to wrestle a lot of close matches in the past but that may be changing this year)

6 - Nolf - If he can beat I-Mar and run the table his style is perfect (DT reincarnated)

7 - Nashon

If either Gwiz or Ringer finish undefeated nobody else has a shot at the hodge. If this happens for some reason I feel like they would give it to Ringer even if Gwiz has a couple more falls.

I think they will give it to Ringer too. He is far more popular. Gwiz is awesome and could even be our Rio rep, but he just doesn't have the draw of Ringer.

I think Isaiah Martinez should be in the conversation if he goes undefeated again, especially if he has a lot of pins/techs/MDs are we expect. Being undefeated in college (besides his redshirt, which doesn't count) through 2 seasons, including 2 national championships, has not been done since Cael. 

I had it wrong...   The trophy is awarded based on seven criteria: 1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

Those are the correct criteria, but the numbers don't apply.

I've seen an undefeated national champion get snubbed for a guy who was pinned center mat.   I've seen a guy get it who needed a hail marry as time expired just to capture his title, over a 2 time national champion, undefeated and returning world team member.   As mentioned earlier, a lower division wrestler won the award despite 4 losses and despite Cael Sanderson (Cael shared he award with this young man).   We've seen an undefeated national champ with far more pins (Oliver)  not win it.   

This is a popularity contest for the most part.   Who will receive it?  Who ever the committee wants to win it.   We can throw out all the objective discussion.   

Those are the correct criteria, but the numbers don't apply.

I've seen an undefeated national champion get snubbed for a guy who was pinned center mat.   I've seen a guy get it who needed a hail marry as time expired just to capture his title, over a 2 time national champion, undefeated and returning world team member.   As mentioned earlier, a lower division wrestler won the award despite 4 losses and despite Cael Sanderson (Cael shared he award with this young man).   We've seen an undefeated national champ with far more pins (Oliver)  not win it.   

This is a popularity contest for the most part.   Who will receive it?  Who ever the committee wants to win it.   We can throw out all the objective discussion.   

I know you only come on here to piss people off, but I have seen other people make the same point about Cael Sanderson sharing the Hodge trophy with a "lower division wrestler with 4 losses", so I'll address that.

Whenever people critique who the Hodge trophy, and ill admit that there have been a few times in the relatively short lifespan of the Hodge that I've questioned the decision, they almost always make this point. What they fail to comment on is the fact that the DIII wrestler who won the award alongside Cael was a double amputee (at 174lbs) who beat a returning National Champion on a 60 match winning streak. To me, that is as impressive as Ringer steamrolling the 165 class and beating one (or both) Jordans in competitive matches on the way to his 2016 Hodge Trophy.

On a different note, I like how the Heisman is awarded; if W.I.N. magazine wants to claim this is the "Heisman of College of Wrestling", then they should model it after the actual Heisman Trophy and allow former winners vote for the winner. I think in the long run a lot more fans would be satisfied with the selections, and it would make the award even more prestigious than it already is.

Edit: Also I'll add that if the Hodge is supposed to be the Heisman of College Wrestling, it should be awarded to the best college wrestler of the current season. Past accomplishments (folk or free) should not matter. Potentially allowing a freshman to storm the scene and win a "Heisman" could do nothing but help the sport. As of now, this situation is almost impossible.

Edited by Ron Burgundy?

Former winners do vote for the Hodge.

You can either want the Hodge to be the Heisman of wrestling or you can say Ackerman deserved to win, even though different criteria was applied to him than every other winner. You can't have it both ways.

They play fast and loose with this set of criteria. There was a DIII wrestler with four losses that won the award, plus an NAIA wrestler.

Say what you will about Emmett Wilson (NAIA) winning, but he was DOMINATE the season he won it. He won the CKLV that year, placing ahead of Damion Hahn, who won D1 nationals that year. I think he deserved to be in the conversation, especially because he came from a school like MSU-Northern.

Say what you will about Emmett Wilson (NAIA) winning, but he was DOMINATE the season he won it. He won the CKLV that year, placing ahead of Damion Hahn, who won D1 nationals that year. I think he deserved to be in the conversation, especially because he came from a school like MSU-Northern.

Tommy Rowlands and Jason Powell also won CKLV that year, but they did not place ahead of the guy who won D1 nationals that year, because they were the D1 champ. Also, Greg Jones was undefeated in 2004. Those guys should join Wilson in the conversation for the Hodge in 2004.

Surprise winner: Joey Davis. He was just flying under the radar all along.

Hard to win the Hodge when flying under the radar.

The real contenders I think have a chance this year:

Zain Retherford (I think he may bonus vs Sorenson and Tsirtsis. He just looks that good)

iMar (because he is a monster and I think will be a bonus machine this season)

Dierringer (3x titles, dominant wins. Don't think he'll match the bonus of Gwiz)

BoJo (if he goes undefeated and beats Dierringer convincingly)

Gabe Dean (depending on how his current trend continues)

Gwiz (3x titles, dominant all the way through)

I'd go with iMart, dRinger, gWiz and ... yeah that's about it.

Seems harder for heavies as they just don't tend to have as many techs & dominant matches, so when one does he might very well bounce the lighter guys.

If both finish a dominant, undefeated season, Dieringer will be awarded. It would probably take 20+ pins for IMar to be awarded over the outgoing 3x senior.

of if he heads down to the Scuffle to wrestle 165?

Tommy Rowlands and Jason Powell also won CKLV that year, but they did not place ahead of the guy who won D1 nationals that year, because they were the D1 champ. Also, Greg Jones was undefeated in 2004. Those guys should join Wilson in the conversation for the Hodge in 2004.

I agree, they should have been in the conversation as well. Hodge himself said he thought Wilson should win the award. But, sure, those guys should definitely have been considered and probably were. 

As a side note, I got to see Wilson wrestle a couple of times in 2004, both at our home gym for a dual and away one or two other times. He was outstanding, blew my mind watching his ferocity on the mat. He bumped up for the dual and beat our very accomplished heavyweight. 

Maybe you need to watch Zain vs Sorenson from the Junior team trials from last year. Zain teched him in like 2 minutes. Absolutely hammered Sorenson. Go give it a watch on youtube, it is real quick. 

So Sorenson outscored Sal 15-1 in two matches, it took Zain 2 periods to beat him 15-0. 

I know you are not hating on Retherford, I read your post. I do think Zain could definitely bonus Sorenson. Obviously Tsirtsis has some issues right now understandably, him at 100% I do not think Zain could bonus. Just my opinion. 

Rutherford faces his first top 20 guy this year and wins by a riding time point. I am feeling a little better about my bet.