OkieChippewa

EASTERN MICHIGAN 34 @ Michigan State 0

I attended both Michigan State and Eastern Michigan and this result has me wondering what the hell is going on in East Lansing, wrestling specific. The MSU athletic department is top notch and to see a program so low is disappointing. EMU on the other hand is pulling in some great recruits and doing a fabulous job at developing these kids. Coach Bolyard and Smith are an awesome combo and I am excited for their season this year. 

The thing that jumps out at me is the 184 lb match Shawn Shadaia Pinned Hillman in the state finals 2 years ago and and now he's soundly beating him. When a big time d1 program can at least keep up with the progression of of a much smaller school you know you have a problem. Promoting the top assistant to head coach is not the answer they need, they need to clean house and start from scratch. Give a young up and comer a chance there is no way he could do any worse of a job.

Unbelievable, or maybe not. I cannot even count how many recruits they have ruined recently. A list of some of the kids that were better as freshman - Rogaliner, Yenter, Esquivel (has left the program), Trimble, Wildmo (heck he was a blue chip that can't even make their lineup), Pennel, Curley and I could keep going. So apparently these kids received better coaching from their high school coaches in Michigan, California and Kentucky (for Christ sake). And let's not forget about Wohlfert and Pagdaleo who both left and are doing well at their new schools. I've said it before, but they all look like they don't want to be there. There also appears to be a discipline problem. Their best kid (Gasca) misses weight again. The same thing happened last year and he eventually went up to 141. This messed up both his and Yenter's chance at an RPI ranking. Where the hell is the coaching? I am told that some of the kids want to call it quits. How can an administration keep a staff like that? I expect more of the same against CMU on Sunday.

the video thing might have some merit........   how the heck do you explain what is going on at MSU. OTHER THAN...... MSU's wrestling alums putting NO pressure on the athletic department. Must not be much $$$$ coming from past MSU wrestlers.

I've called and written numerous times and get no response. But I'm not a rich alumni, so they probably don't care. I truly feel bad for all the kids in that program. When Chris Williams was there, it seemed like they at least had somebody who cared.