Sign in to follow this  
executionery4145

Peterson move

I got a question on the Peterson roll . The traditional Peterson roll is the wrestler rolls at an angle to get 5 points. Let's say wrestler A is going to Peterson but wrestler B prevents it by sprawling back. Could wrestler A just slide his knees under his chest and go backwards with it ?

Actually, you can execute the peterson roll two ways and you generally switch depending on how your opponent reacts.  Generally, a peterson is done by by your hips and legs going towards his lower body but if he posts to stop this or sprawls, you can pressure back by moving your hips and legs towards his head and basically driving back into your opponent, almost like sitting back.  Also, I agree with MM that for a peterson roll to be effective either way, your opponents weight should be across your shoulders/back  and if your opponents weight is distributed too far towards your head/neck, it is very difficult to execute. I think this is what you are getting at.

Edited by pennsyrules

Actually, you can execute the peterson roll two ways and you generally switch depending on how your opponent reacts. Generally, a peterson is done by by your hips and legs going towards his lower body but if he posts to stop this or sprawls, you can pressure back by moving your hips and legs towards his head and basically driving back into your opponent, almost like sitting back. Also, I agree with MM that for a peterson roll to be effective either way, your opponents weight should be across your shoulders/back and if your opponents weight is distributed too far towards your head/neck, it is very difficult to execute. I think this is what you are getting at.

I used to do exactly that when doing it in HS - usually if I got stuck underneath before completing the Granby catch position. The key was getting the leg wrapped and good wrist control with the arm/hand that captured the leg. I used to control the Peterson with the one arm and post on other arm, sitting out to complete the move.

I used to do exactly that when doing it in HS - usually if I got stuck underneath before completing the Granby catch position. The key was getting the leg wrapped and good wrist control with the arm/hand that captured the leg. I used to control the Peterson with the one arm and post on other arm, sitting out to complete the move.

You didn't happen to wrestle for Bethlehem Catholic in high school, did you?

I got a question on the Peterson roll . The traditional Peterson roll is the wrestler rolls at an angle to get 5 points. Let's say wrestler A is going to Peterson but wrestler B prevents it by sprawling back. Could wrestler A just slide his knees under his chest and go backwards with it ?

If I'm interpreting what you wrote correctly, this is exactly what 3x CA state champ Alex Cisneros did to Matt Cimato in the finals of Flonationals a few years ago. See the move around 10:20 here: http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/248534-2012-FloNationals/video/626600-138-lbs-finals-Alex-Cisneros-CA-vs-Matt-Cimato-PA#.VmyALq88JCk