Sign in to follow this  
Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Denis Tsargush return!

Sure, if he can get lucky and be on the opposite side of both Burroughs and whoever Russia sends he will probably make the finals. Just like Goudarzi was lucky in 2012 when he was on the opposite side to Tsargush and Burroughs. If he gets the same draw that Ghasemi got in vegas with both Burroughs and Geduev on his side of the bracket then he will also not medal.  Ghasemi would have got silver if he was on the opposite side of the bracket, but he is no threat to Burroughs or Geduev. Yazdani is in a similar situation. 

This is the problem with Iran at 74, it's weak and reliant on good draws. A medal is possible under the right circumstances but not gold. 

Nice to see Tsargush on the mat again... a couple of (dumb) questions:

1. What event was this?

I didn't see anything listed on the UWW site, and to my extremely untrained eyes it looked in the video clip like they weren't going at 100%, so I was wondering if it was an exhibition event.

2. What are those flags next to the wrestlers' names?

Are those club flags? I didn't recognize them.

Nice to see Tsargush on the mat again... a couple of (dumb) questions:

1. What event was this?

I didn't see anything listed on the UWW site, and to my extremely untrained eyes it looked in the video clip like they weren't going at 100%, so I was wondering if it was an exhibition event.

2. What are those flags next to the wrestlers' names?

Are those club flags? I didn't recognize them.

1. It was the Chevalier Nusuev memorial.  Nusuev was a judoka and sambo wrestler turned coach, very young.  Was USSR Master of Sport in both, and at 20 y/o he was given the title of Honored Coach of the USSR when one of his athletes won an Olympic gold - youngest coach ever to get the recognition.  Was also Honored Coach of Russia after the dissolution.  He was also a businessman, and was assassinated in Moscow about a decade ago.  Not a UWW event, and not hugely significant event; surprised to see Tsargush here.

2. Nope - not club flags. Best comparison would be akin to state flags.  Bagaev has the Ossetian flag above him.  Tsargush's flag is the flag for the federal city of Moscow (rather than the Moscow region) - it depicts St. George slaying the Dragon

Edited by nightcrawler

When will female refs start showing up more in US? Hard to tell on my phone screen but this ref looked young - does USA wrestling have decent development programs for refs?

She's been around a while. I think she was at the worlds this past year and has done a nice job whenever I've seen her matches.