Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Is the Canadian trials system better than the U.S.?

Canadian trials system for all 3 styles:

Weigh-in night before.

Day 1 (morning/early afternoon): Single elimination seeded tournament for all wrestlers EXCEPT the top THREE overall seeds at each weight.  Winner of tournament becomes #4 seed.

Day 1 (evening): #4's wrestle #3's at all weights (single match)

Day 2 (early afternoon): 4/3 winner wrestles #2 seed at all weights (single match)

Day 2 (evening): 4/3/2 winner wrestles #1 seed in best-of-3 matches

If we had this system, to use the 65kg example, it would go as follows:

Tournament of all guys ranked #4 or lower (Pico, Stieber, Kennedy, etc.): Day 1

Winner wrestles Green: Day 1 night

Winner wrestles Oliver: Day 2 afternoon

Winner wrestles Metcalf best-of-3: Day 2 evening

Is this better than the U.S. system???

From the way I understand it, there was something similar for the U.S. Trials back in the day. I'm up here checking this out and it's extremely rare for someone to come out of the pool and win the spot. Dhesi probably has the best chance of doing it. But it's been rare as I'm told by Canadian friends. 

We're overly polite, love lager and ale and can play hockey outside in minus 40 all day long.

We move to Florida and AZ when we get old.

Yours is a truly great system, but in my humble opinion we might want to at least think about keeping our own system.  Thank you very much and I am truly sorry if you took this post the wrong way.  Thanks again.

@ jason Bryant cleo at 74 as well will probably come out and win. The ladder is set from previous nationals only way possible is for a possible injury prevision that has to be granted before the trials and that would only be for the #1 seed ( I belive one of the woman weights has that this year in which case will be a best of three between whoever wins and Jillian)  . if you change weight you are not seeded you have to enter the pool tournament win and come out as the #4 seed.

I think the selection process should mirror the tournament they are being selected for (worlds).  I would not do a ladder system since there is no other situation when they would do that.  I'd want to see who is best in a tournament setting.  I'd also want to see who is best in a single day since that is what worlds/olympics are.

Ideally I'd send them all to 2-3 tournaments and see who performed best against other competition (like most college coaches do).  Who is best at beating Americans wouldn't mean much to me when they will never wrestle an American in worlds/olympics.

Edited by boconnell

Finals tonight:

57: Palani/Pineda

65: Garcia/Manning

74: Balfour/Ncube

86: Tagziev/Steen

97: Gill/Sandhu

125: Dhesi/Jarvis

Pineda 8-0/tech, Garcia 2-4/2-1/4-3, Ncube 4-4/tech, Tagziev 8-2/6-3, Gill 6-1/8-6, Jarvis 2-2/2-2