Sign in to follow this  
greenmt.

FLOarena

Does anyone else think the FLOarena brackets are hard to follow? All the matches are listed as individual matches, its hard to follow the rounds and from the championship and consi rounds. Sometimes in trying something new, just makes it more difficult to follow. I like track wrestling, or escape sports, when dealing just with bracket results. Just old school brackets.

I don't find them hard to follow but I still don't like their system. 

When I select the team for example I have to select each individual wrestler and figure out what has happened. Track gives me a simple list of team results. 

While this one is a minor point on the brackets the first name of a wrestler is not available.

There are more things I don't like but if I start it'll just turn into another anti-Flo rant and lets face it they have alienated a lot of us with their issues for some time.  

I also dislike the bracket system.  I find it annoying that the whole bracket can't be seen without scrolling extensively, and I also dislike how the wrestlers full names aren't included anywhere.  Sure there probably aren't a lot of N. Megaludis out there, but what about J. Smith?

Another peeve is that you can't view both the championship and consolation in the same screen.  Sometimes if I'm trying to track how a bracket played out I need to flip back and forth multiple times and wait for it to load.

The one thing I DO like is the instant video button that lets you click on a match and be taken to the video for it.  Especially with how fast they had everything uploaded at this years CKLV (literally minutes after the match ended).

The scrolling problem just mentioned kills it. Especially on a mobile device. Terrible execution of a promising concept. The video links are awesome but don't make up for the most basic navigation problems they have to get right to offer a better product than Trackwrestling. Right now it's not even close as to which is more user-friendly.

Navigation is pretty brutal.  No need to try and get fancy. There is not a better interface for this than a simple line bracket, see track. If you want to link out to the videos just hyperlink the names. 

My guess is they were trying to one up track and this is a byproduct of trying to improve something that did not need improving. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

I posted on this in one of their blog posts about the "evil monopoly" that is the NWCA, but it disappeared. Their whole argument that the NWCA's exclusive contract with Track leaves us with inferior products goes out the window because FloArena is horrible. They can quote famous wrestling personalities who will tell us it is good until they are blue in the face, but it's a pain to use.

As mentioned above, it is impossible to use on an iPhone/iPad and the number of clicks it takes to view results for a whole team is nauseating. The only thing it has right, is the ability to click on a match and view the video.

Additionally, the whole argument about the NWCA being a monopoly is nothing but hyperbole and reads like a high school kid whining about the man keeping him down. If what they are saying is true and not just a series of dramatic exaggerations intended to stir up readers and trick people into seeing the NWCA as some corrupt corporate entity, lawyer up and put your money where you mouth is.

The notion that the OPC system should not be standardized is absurd. As long as teams travel and compete in different states, everyone needs to be on the same system. Someone has to have an exclusive contract with the NWCA and someone has to regulate it.

Edited by superbowlhomeboy

From an aging eyes point of view. Please give me a way to increase the font size of the brackets. I know how to zoom (Ctrl+) but then bracket screen doesn't always have scroll bars. 

Even on their main Arena page I get no scroll bars with Chrome or Edge. Can not see the entire schedule.

http://www.flowrestling.org/arena/

Try the link for yourself. Please tell me if you can scroll and see entire schedule.

On the huge size of the brackets and the need to scroll ... I was hating it to until I stumbled on the fact I could click on the 'column' heading (the label for the round) and it would collapse all the previous rounds and just show the round you are interested in and later.

Not ideal but made it easier to review without a lot of scrolling. Hope this helps.

Lets not pretend like track is anywhere near perfect.  With a phone in a venue, it is no easier than FloArena.

From an aging eyes point of view. Please give me a way to increase the font size of the brackets. I know how to zoom (Ctrl+) but then bracket screen doesn't always have scroll bars. 

Even on their main Arena page I get no scroll bars with Chrome or Edge. Can not see the entire schedule.

http://www.flowrestling.org/arena/

Try the link for yourself. Please tell me if you can scroll and see entire schedule.

I don't see a scroll bar, but the scroll wheel and the keyboard arrows work well.  

The wrestling community is a bunch of haters resistant to change.  You want to complain about FloArena?  Fine, but do it constructively and maybe Flo will listen.  Also, please don't act like Track is great.  It's what we've had for a long time, and we've learned to work with it, but it is a turd in any other market.  

FloArena needs to be improved, no doubt, but that's every new product.  So goes the maxim "If you are not embarrassed by the first version of your product, you've launched too late."  I also think Flo, as a company, has shown they have a much stronger content development team than technology team.  Having said that, I think FloArena is already superior to track and expect that to become even more apparent as time moves on.  Flo is aggressive, like most tech startups.  I don't think Track has the infrastructure or capital to keep up with Flo.  

It's only a matter of time before Track bites the dust.  

The wrestling community is a bunch of haters resistant to change.  You want to complain about FloArena?  Fine, but do it constructively and maybe Flo will listen.  Also, please don't act like Track is great.  It's what we've had for a long time, and we've learned to work with it, but it is a turd in any other market.  

FloArena needs to be improved, no doubt, but that's every new product.  So goes the maxim "If you are not embarrassed by the first version of your product, you've launched too late."  I also think Flo, as a company, has shown they have a much stronger content development team than technology team.  Having said that, I think FloArena is already superior to track and expect that to become even more apparent as time moves on.  Flo is aggressive, like most tech startups.  I don't think Track has the infrastructure or capital to keep up with Flo.  

It's only a matter of time before Track bites the dust.  

Sounds like you are an investor waiting for an IPO. 

I've been in the "tech business" all my life (just another engineer with a master's Degree who has been through two IPOs) and I can tell you Flo is no innovative leader taking over the industry so don't even go there.

Edited by Zebra

The only thing on FloArena that is superior to track is the ability to watch the matches. In what other way is FloArena superior when compared to trackwrestling? The only things I can complain about on track are the search function and that it times out.

Timeouts are a huge issue.  On a phone, it is agonizing to go back to the beginning and navigate back to the same place you left when the service at venues is spotty at best.  It can make the entire system unusable. 

In earlier rounds, track is easier to read, but in later rounds Flo is better.

Timeouts are a huge pain on track, there is no doubt about that.  I'd put that in the advantage FLOArena column

Also it can be a pain to find the tournament you want on track because they have such a huge volume of tournaments, whereas floarena only covers major college events currently (for the most part)

I haven't minded FloArena at all.  I've found if you click on whatever round heading "quarters, semis, etc" it will scroll over to that part of the bracket and you can then scroll up and down.  I do think Flo's attack on NWCA has come off as a little self serving.  Also, outside of FloArena, the auto load feature on the end of their videos that they added about a year ago is super annoying.  But no specific problem with FloArena yet.

Sounds like you are an investor waiting for an IPO. 

I've been in the "tech business" all my life (just another engineer with a master's Degree who has been through two IPOs) and I can tell you Flo is no innovative leader taking over the industry so don't even go there.

I have no dog in this fight.  I have also been an engineer/entrepreneur for my whole life and also work for a tech startup in an entirely different industry than Flo.  

Quite frankly, I think Flo overcharges and I think they have questionable business ethics.  

However, I still recognize Flo's tenacity and vision.  I wouldn't bet against them as long as Martin is in charge.  Although it betrays my engineering origins to say this, you don't need to new or great technology to be successful.  You just have to acquire and maintain customers.  Flo is amazing on this front.

Back to the original topic, I am curious how others get Track to work well on their mobile device.  To my knowledge, the brackets are always displayed at full size, regardless of which platform the site is accessed on.  At least FloArena is attempting to adapt the bracket to your device, although it appears that has been unsuccessful for some.