Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Dake/Taylor: A second look...

The feeling I got, after talking to people, was this: Most people on the side of the arena press row was on thought it was a bad call. Most people on the side of the arena opposite from press row thought the official got the call right. Their angle was likely better, given that the action was on the opposite side of the arena, and their backs were to us, meaning they'd be able to see hand control better than me. I'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt, until I'm able to get home to see the video tomorrow.

In fact, the bigger discussion inside the arena wasn't the reversal, it was the non-escape, and unlike the reversal call, it was definitive that that one decided the match.

Regardless, we'll be discussing this one for a while. Hopefully the "experimental" video review becomes permanent come next year.

Here is the official quote from Penn State: (Link Here)

"The duo battled through an even first period, Dake took down to start the second and escaped for a 1-0 lead after two. Taylor chose down in the third and worked his way to a reversal and a 2-1 lead. With just under 1:00 left, the duo rolled out of bounds and Dake was given a reversal by the official after action moved out of the circle. Taylor then worked to escape, while maintaining a riding time edge to grab the win. Dake held on for most of the bout and Taylor was not awarded an escape at the end of the match (and his riding time fell to :59), giving Dake a 3-2 decision."

I don't get the whining about the ref awarding it OB. I'll have to see it, again, but by description the call happened near the edge and they were going OB. If the ref saw it inbounds but took a second to react and call...that's called being human and having reaction time. The reversal can still have happened inbounds. As to the actual position itself, I can't comment.

I'm getting an error. Damn.

Sig check?

... edit .. it worked. Thanks Scribe.

If these two guys make the finals at NCAA, and odds are they will, and if they are both healthy --- damn! The roof is going to blow off either way. Just hoping it isn't controversial one way or another.

P.S. Too many haters on this board. These two are neck and neck. They are both stupendous. Love it guys. Love it.

Can you hear the whistle? I don't trust the clock displayed in the video feed. It was off a couple seconds in many of the matches I watched.

You happen to be right...the clock was off...there was actually MORE time on the clock than on the score overlay. You can hear that whistle quite clearly.

After further review I see the reversal (kudos to the officials), however, clearly Taylor should have been awarded the escape prior to the whistle that I heard in the video, which would have sent the match into OT.

Obviously, Taylor would have been better off shoving Dake away from him giving him the escape being up 2-1 with RT in the bank.

NONE of the scoreboards on the streams were tied to official clocks. The tournament used another company for the scoreclocks and the streams were using a parallel system using trackwrestling mini entries -- so there's some differential in the official time vs. what was on your screen.

That being said, I can't watch it right now since the site is crashing. It happened quick and was like "woah!" ... I'll reserve judgement until I watch it again ... but that's something the officials can't do.

Point being, don't look at the video to get an accurate account of the time. It's only synced if the official scoreboards were track clocks.

After further review I see the reversal (kudos to the officials), however, clearly Taylor should have been awarded the escape prior to the whistle that I heard in the video, which would have sent the match in to OT.

Obviously, Taylor would have been better off shoving Dake away from him giving him the escape being up 2-1 with RT in the bank.

No it wouldn't have, skikayaker. The escape came early enough that RT would not have been erased (contrary to what the score overlay says, RT was actually at about 1:03 at that point), meaning Taylor would have won.

Gotta say that upon seeing this, it isn't as black and white as people are making out. I can see giving the 2 for the reversal, and I can see it not given. Same for the escape. The debate shall continue.

I'll say I could have easily seen where Dake (or another wrestler) doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in the reversal sequence. It was quick.