Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Dake/Taylor: A second look...

The reversal call was correct, but was a pretty ballsy call by the officials. What makes it controversial is that the action was going out of bounds, which makes it much harder to pull the trigger on the call. If it had happened in the center of the mat, Dake would have clearly gotten the reversal in bounds, especially after he kicked Taylor up and they rolled over with Dake in a position of control. But on the edge that's a gutsy call....but the correct one.

The escape.....I could see this going either way but the angle of the flo video is not great to tell if Dake's hands are unlocked. Officials are often slow to call that an escape, because if they call it an escape for Taylor too early when Dake is extended but still locked around the leg, and then Dake hauls the leg back in and takes Taylor down, he would have to be awarded another 2 points when there was really no change in control.

The bottom line is, Taylor wrestled well, but he still didn't follow the game plan he needs to win. Whether it's by stalling, or by lucky breaks, Dake seems to win the close matches where no takedowns are scored. Taylor needed to score a first period takedown and go up 2-1, or accumulate even more riding time in the first period that would be hard for Dake to overcome. After the first flurry of the match, there was very little action in the first period, and Taylor had no offense except for a couple of half hearted ankle pick attempts, and he spent most of the first period in a two on one tie. Dake didn't have any offense either, aside from that first shot, but again, that type of match seems to favor Dake.

DT needs to get a TD .... Get started off with a 2-0, or 2-1 start in the match. All I can say ... I would sure be hard pressed to ref one of their matches.

Things I took away from the match after watching it again.

-I originally thought the two was a bad call, It was the CORRECT call, merkel position in bounds is Two. Freeze frame it if you are in doubt.

-Ref missed a full nelson on Dake's part towards the end of regulation, but I can see why he wouldn't call it in that kind of match.

-I think it actually was the right call not awarding two because DT didn't establish separation, Dake was still locked on the leg at the end and that is still considered to be in control. I would have loved to see OT though.

-It was a match that could have gone either way but not as controversial looking back on it as people make it out to be, what a great rivalry, amazing for the sport. March is going to be unreal.

Dake lost it on the Taylor granby, and was off for a good two seconds (from when the clock ticks from five seconds to four, to when the clock ticks from three to two). That left arm slips off, he clenches that fist, releases the clench while it's still on the mat to support himself, releases that right arm that was just hanging there rather than controlling anything, then puts the arms back around the legs. Reaction time should have passed at that point where he unclenches the fist and supports himself with that left hand, and at that point, the escape should have been awarded. (this is from watching frame-by-frame)

Absolutely disagree with your comment that "reaction time should have passed.." If you had to analyze frame by frame, there was no reaction time.

Here is the official quote from Penn State: (Link Here)

"The duo battled through an even first period, Dake took down to start the second and escaped for a 1-0 lead after two. Taylor chose down in the third and worked his way to a reversal and a 2-1 lead. With just under 1:00 left, the duo rolled out of bounds and Dake was given a reversal by the official after action moved out of the circle. Taylor then worked to escape, while maintaining a riding time edge to grab the win. Dake held on for most of the bout and Taylor was not awarded an escape at the end of the match (and his riding time fell to :59), giving Dake a 3-2 decision."

Wow, lack of professionalism in Happy Valley. Who'd have thunk it.

All of those PSU press releases are head scratchers. Have been for years, even stretching back to the Sunderland days.

It's no wonder the PSU fanbase is so out of control of their reason.

Regardless your opinion on any journalist, fan, wrestler, coach, or anyone with ties to PSU, Penn State wrestling is still dominating across the board. There's really no need to knock someone every time, all the time. There are obnoxious and unwarranted fans with every school and every sports team in the world.

Have you ever heard some baseball commentators for their respective teams? Dodgers? White Sox? Braves? Now this is straight bias with no beating around the bush!

Particularly in wrestling, the recaps tend to be somewhat objective on what actually happened. Every one of these things is written by a different person for each school (obviously). I think if that is Donghia, it is right up his alley regarding his view of the competition.

All of those PSU press releases are head scratchers. Have been for years, even stretching back to the Sunderland days.

It's no wonder the PSU fanbase is so out of control of their reason.

Regardless your opinion on any journalist, fan, wrestler, coach, or anyone with ties to PSU, Penn State wrestling is still dominating across the board. There's really no need to knock someone every time, all the time. There are obnoxious and unwarranted fans with every school and every sports team in the world.

Have you ever heard some baseball commentators for their respective teams? Dodgers? White Sox? Braves? Now this is straight bias with no beating around the bush!

Pro vs college, completely different