Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

You make the call

Seemed like an obvious TD to me and also back points. Ness had obvious control - Dennis could not have gotten off his back even if he had wanted to and thus, Ness brought him to the mat and controlled him...and had his back exposed for extra points.

The ref blew that call by taking the points off. If I were Ness I would be asking myself WTF??? The ref just took five points away from me!

Agree very firmly, that should be awarded points. If defensive wrestler can avoid having back exposed, he should be forced to prove it. Looked like Ness was keeping the back exposed.

Can't tell if pin.

Wrestling is a sport of angles.  From the ESPN angle it looks like there could be a fall.  A few years ago, during the NCAA officials clinic, they showed this clip as part of Dr. McCormick's tough calls.  Except they showed two different camera angles.  The first angle was what was shown on TV and the second was from another camera.  One looked like a fall and the angle that the official was looking at showed a shoulder and scap not even touching the mat. 

Looks like the right call at the time. No way to tell from the camera angle if there was a fall. My guess is that it wasn't close since they stayed in the same position for a while. 

The takedown would be 2 now, but at the time, with reaction time, was the right call to waive off. 

Wrestling is a sport of angles.  From the ESPN angle it looks like there could be a fall.  A few years ago, during the NCAA officials clinic, they showed this clip as part of Dr. McCormick's tough calls.  Except they showed two different camera angles.  The first angle was what was shown on TV and the second was from another camera.  One looked like a fall and the angle that the official was looking at showed a shoulder and scap not even touching the mat. 

Well, that should end the debate...but will it?

Wrestling is a sport of angles. From the ESPN angle it looks like there could be a fall. A few years ago, during the NCAA officials clinic, they showed this clip as part of Dr. McCormick's tough calls. Except they showed two different camera angles. The first angle was what was shown on TV and the second was from another camera. One looked like a fall and the angle that the official was looking at showed a shoulder and scap not even touching the mat.

In the clinic, did they discuss if there should have been a TD and nearfall?

Ness' back was to Dennis front.  Dennis wasn't going anywhere, but neither was Ness.  When Ness finally tried to adjust position, Dennis got up and out.  No TD, so no backpoints.  Ness won this match, why is this still a thing?

Cletus went after Ness in the Hodge thread, and I took the bait.