Sign in to follow this  
Tony_Rotundo

Two stalling calls within seconds

Due to the new stalling rules, we saw this happen at least a few times in Vegas. Wrestler gets dinged with a stall call (maybe his second), seconds later that wrestler gets hit again for going out of bounds.   The two times I saw this happen both calls were part of the same action (one was three seconds apart, the other less than five seconds) and it cost the wrestlers two points. I'm not sure the rules committee thought that through. In one of the matches the ref gave the ol' double stalling call earlier in the match. Hadn't seen that in a while.

Not much to think through.  Don't stall and you won't get called.  As guys get used to the fact they are not going to get away with backing off the mat they will stop doing it. 

Thursday night, I saw the ref call a stall against the Rutgers 133 wrestler that was locked up in a front headlock while both wrestlers were on their knees and pushed out of bounds. I also saw the ref call a stall in 1-2 seconds agains the Rutgers 165 from the top position at the whistle. What in the new rules justifies these types of calls?

Refs now have way too much power and abuse is sure to follow. If they really want to make changes, I would rather a clear push out rule then all this subjective crap. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I saw the same thing Flying tiger, terrible call. He was being pushed and there is no way he could have circled in if he tried. These officials have to use some wrestling common sense. Wait till we see an NCAA semi final or final decided on a really bad stall call. I expect it to happen this year.

I saw the same thing Flying tiger, terrible call. He was being pushed and there is no way he could have circled in if he tried. These officials have to use some wrestling common sense. Wait till we see an NCAA semi final or final decided on a really bad stall call. I expect it to happen this year.

He could have circled back in. I don't buy that excuse for nothing. Guys are going to have to have situational awreness. The lower weight Rutgers guys didn't, but the upper weight guys did.

The backing out rule is terrible.  For guys to adjust to it, they would have to call it consistently, and that just isn't going to happen.  It is applied arbitrarily and we need to just go with a push out point, or not have the rule.  This half measure is the worst possible choice.  Plus I agree it lends itself to being abused in a home dual situation.

In the Missouri-tOSU match, Dijulius got called for stalling after getting body locked and flung to his back out of bounds. How is that stalling? I think overall the refs did a pretty good job in that dual but that was a real head scratcher. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Another match, maybe Mayes-Burcher, had a stall call near the boundary, followed a second later by the backout stall call for a point. Double penalty for substantially the same action. Yet, I guess, I don't have that big of a problem with it, if it is consistently called.