• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

How do you think who of MMA wrestlers can win medals at world championships or nationals???? Khabib Nurmagomedov? Tony Ferguson, Chad Mendes, Chris Weidman, Frankie Edgar, Gray Maynard, Cain Velasquez etc....(without which Olympic wrestlers in MMA, Lindland, Cormie, Makhov etc)

The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#2 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:22 AM

I think only Velasquez at international level.

Edited by WreslingSuperior, 12 December 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#3 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:22 AM

I think only Velasquez at international level.

yeah....i think so too....in Freestyle, maybe he can beat Gwizdovski, Bradley and Nelson, but Narmagomedov, he cant win medal in Ali Aliyev memorial or Dagetsan senior nationals

The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#4 TheRealOne9050

TheRealOne9050

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:22 AM

I remember when Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto tried to make the Olympic Team. It didn't end well.

#5 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:05 AM

None of them have any chance except obviously Makhov. Even Romero would not medal, way too old. Although he would probably beat Herbert and make the US team.

#6 DuckFor2

DuckFor2

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:54 AM

yeah....i think so too....in Freestyle, maybe he can beat Gwizdovski, Bradley and Nelson, but Narmagomedov, he cant win medal in Ali Aliyev memorial or Dagetsan senior nationals

i doubt too many people see Velasquez beating any of our top FS guys, myself included.

Cejudo, yes. possibly Hendricks had he continued his wrestling pursuit.

#7 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:07 AM

The only MMA guy who would be a medal threat in wrestling today is Henry Cejudo. You could argue Daniel Cormier and Yoel Romero, with a lot of wrestling-specific training, might have shots too, but that would be a stretch. Nobody else is even close.
  • WreslingSuperior, Axe_Spartan and newyorkwrestler like this

#8 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

I see Velasquez in top 10 not in the podium range.
  • Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin likes this

#9 newyorkwrestler

newyorkwrestler

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:29 AM

has alexis villa finally retired 

#10 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:35 AM

48kg (!) medalist and 45 years old.

#11 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

No way Cormier could, he was barely able to medal in his prime while training only FS and still being his twenties. He got bronze once. No chance he can still do that age 37. And yes Cejudo has a chance, I forgot about him. Cejudo and Makhov out of current signed UFC guys. 

#12 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

Completely agree

#13 armspin

armspin

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

Did Romero ever wrestle Salas? That would be fun to see.

#14 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

I think the age difference is too much. Romero is allegedly 38 although even he admits he may be older. Salas is at least ten years younger. 

#15 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

And I hope Villa has retired. He is so old and small but he still had a respectable career with some good wins. Looking at his wikipedia page he got koed by a guy in February. The weight he competed in when he was wrestling isn't even available in juniors anymore, let alone seniors. Someone did a eight or nine part documentary called Miami hustle, it was centred around Jorge Masvidal but Alexis Vila also was featured pretty heavily as they train together. This was a few years ago now, he was still undefeated in MMA for most episodes of the documentary. Seems to have a nice car, house, etc. I'd like to see him get a job as a wrestling coach at American Top Team and go on with that. Maybe he already is doing that. 

#16 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

I remember when Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto tried to make the Olympic Team. It didn't end well.

Which time?  When he dislocated his elbow or when he shot a yakuza member in the face and had to go into hiding with Enson Inoue? 

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#17 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:54 PM

Which time?  When he dislocated his elbow or when he shot a yakuza member in the face and had to go into hiding with Enson Inoue? 

he is kickboxer! now wrestler

#18 Axe_Spartan

Axe_Spartan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:09 AM

Which time?  When he dislocated his elbow or when he shot a yakuza member in the face and had to go into hiding with Enson Inoue

Please, tell me more about it.

From Brazil

Twitter: https://twitter.com/sonsofMMA

#19 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

Please, tell me more about it.

Nori was training for the Japanese Olympic trials or whatever their system is leading up to the 2000 games.  He was training and studying at a university during that time and as a prank he shot a guy with a BB gun in the face.  Maybe he didn't know it, but that guy was a yakuza and chased Nori and he literally had to escape from the university before he got caught and that guy killed him.  His brother in law is famous MMA fighter (at least then) Enson Inoue who had connections to the local yakuza and kind of vouched for Nori or something, basically he made it so they weren't going to kill him, but Nori was not going to be allowed to continue training for the Olympics.  So since he wasn't able to do that, he started doing MMA. The yakuza has influence over that kind of thing apparently. 

Leading up to the 2008 games Nori decided to try again, and in one of the qualifying tournaments he got thrown and dislocated his elbow and had to withdraw.  He did have a few good wins in that tournament before that happened though. 

• TheRealOne9050 and Axe_Spartan like this
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#20 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

he is kickboxer! now wrestler

Nori was a very good wrestler.  His father competed for Japan in the Olympics, his mother was a world champion in Judo (I think) and his sisters were world freestyle champions.  Nori wrestled in the US during high school and was rarely challenged by anyone, I think his only loss was in the state semifinals his freshman year in double OT to a returning state champion who was a high school all american.  After that he basically steamrolled everyone.  I think BigApple knows more about it, but he didn't go to college in the US because his grades weren't that good and his father was under the impression it was like Japan where schools can overlook that.  He did place at the Sunkist Open when he was in high school too, so he was not just beating up on high school kids who didn't know what they were doing. 

• armspin, TheRealOne9050 and Axe_Spartan like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wrestling, Russian wrestling, NCAA wrestling, MMA, MMA wrestling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users