Sign in to follow this  
Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

MMA "amazing" wrestlers in wrestling tournaments

yeah....i think so too....in Freestyle, maybe he can beat Gwizdovski, Bradley and Nelson, but Narmagomedov, he cant win medal in Ali Aliyev memorial or Dagetsan senior nationals

i doubt too many people see Velasquez beating any of our top FS guys, myself included.

Cejudo, yes. possibly Hendricks had he continued his wrestling pursuit.

No way Cormier could, he was barely able to medal in his prime while training only FS and still being his twenties. He got bronze once. No chance he can still do that age 37. And yes Cejudo has a chance, I forgot about him. Cejudo and Makhov out of current signed UFC guys. 

And I hope Villa has retired. He is so old and small but he still had a respectable career with some good wins. Looking at his wikipedia page he got koed by a guy in February. The weight he competed in when he was wrestling isn't even available in juniors anymore, let alone seniors. Someone did a eight or nine part documentary called Miami hustle, it was centred around Jorge Masvidal but Alexis Vila also was featured pretty heavily as they train together. This was a few years ago now, he was still undefeated in MMA for most episodes of the documentary. Seems to have a nice car, house, etc. I'd like to see him get a job as a wrestling coach at American Top Team and go on with that. Maybe he already is doing that. 

Please, tell me more about it.

Nori was training for the Japanese Olympic trials or whatever their system is leading up to the 2000 games.  He was training and studying at a university during that time and as a prank he shot a guy with a BB gun in the face.  Maybe he didn't know it, but that guy was a yakuza and chased Nori and he literally had to escape from the university before he got caught and that guy killed him.  His brother in law is famous MMA fighter (at least then) Enson Inoue who had connections to the local yakuza and kind of vouched for Nori or something, basically he made it so they weren't going to kill him, but Nori was not going to be allowed to continue training for the Olympics.  So since he wasn't able to do that, he started doing MMA. The yakuza has influence over that kind of thing apparently. 

Leading up to the 2008 games Nori decided to try again, and in one of the qualifying tournaments he got thrown and dislocated his elbow and had to withdraw.  He did have a few good wins in that tournament before that happened though. 

he is kickboxer! now wrestler

Nori was a very good wrestler.  His father competed for Japan in the Olympics, his mother was a world champion in Judo (I think) and his sisters were world freestyle champions.  Nori wrestled in the US during high school and was rarely challenged by anyone, I think his only loss was in the state semifinals his freshman year in double OT to a returning state champion who was a high school all american.  After that he basically steamrolled everyone.  I think BigApple knows more about it, but he didn't go to college in the US because his grades weren't that good and his father was under the impression it was like Japan where schools can overlook that.  He did place at the Sunkist Open when he was in high school too, so he was not just beating up on high school kids who didn't know what they were doing. 

"As a prank he shot a guy with a BB gun in the face.  Maybe he didn't know it, but that guy was a yakuza and chased Nori and he literally had to escape from the university before he got caught and that guy killed him."  

I don't think it would take a Yakuza member to go after someone for SHOOTING THEM IN THE FACE WITH A BB GUN.  I got the impression that for all his physical talent Yamamoto had a lot of mental/character failings, and this story just reinforces that impression.

Which time?  When he dislocated his elbow or when he shot a yakuza member in the face and had to go into hiding with Enson Inoue? 

Yeah, I meant in 2008. He had a couple of good matches actually, then he got injured.

Does his sister Miyu wrestle in Canada still to this day, if I'm not mistaken?

Edited by TheRealOne9050

Salas was a young, full of pizz and vinegar kid when Romero was still in the room.  He practiced here and there with them (I still remember the guys telling me about him).  Funny story, He was actually a pretty good gymnast as a kid, but he loved wrestling his friends so much that he begged his parents to allow him to focus on wrestling instead.  They concurred and the rest is history.

I think of Jon Jones buckled down and trained for a solid few months he would definitely place at the US Open.  I don't think he would win it, but he would be anywhere from 5-8.

What in the world makes you think that?  Jon had decent freestyle skill in H.S, but i don't think he has trained it at all since then.  His brother Art, on the other hand, is another story..at 285lbs his go to in all three styles was a suplex strait over.