Sign in to follow this  
HurricaneWrestling

Ohio State vs. Missouri on ESPN3 @ 8:00 pm (Eastern)

Wow.  I don't think anybody was going to beat Missouri tonight.  They would have had a good chance at beating OSU with Seiber and Snyder in the lineup.  Nuts.  They are kind of a wildcard for NCAAs.  If they get performances at 133,141, and 184 like tonight they could be in the hunt.  

And another match that will likely end in bonus.  J'Den up 8-1 with 1 min to go.  Neutral. 

Now 10-1.  Expect he has RT too.  Releases.

10-2.  Still attacking.  But Martin defending.  And then TD ... after fun scramble.

13-2 I expect at the end.

Cox is the aggressor early but Martin is holding ground. Cox gets it 2 minutes in and is looking as solid on top as ever. The crowd is cheering for stalling again and I have to agree with them. Martin's hands and knees never even came close to leaving the mat. 2-0 with RT going into the second. Martin picks neutral but gives up the TD a minute in. Flat on the mat, again. Needs to get hit. There's the call! Ride out complete for Cox - he takes bottom. Stall call on Martin in the third - there's the point. 5-0 with RT for Cox. Escape Cox and Martin gets in on a single. Cox defends and counters for the TD. That's the major - and now he smells blood. Another TD and cut. Another TD for Cox makes it 13-2. Final score: 26-17 Mizzou!

Nice win Tigers! Thought Manley's low stance matched up well against Mickey stylistically who wants to constantly attack the legs. Tomasello handled McGhee easier than I thought he would. Bo looked a little drained from the cut maybe. JDJ just straight out-muscled, wow. Good stuff. 

Both Jordans feeling the cut maybe because both looked terrible relative to what they can do. Courts was an embarrassment. Miklus totally had his way with him.

Missouri deserves much respect for this showing. Excellent effort by the whole team.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

A couple of thoughts I had overall watching the dual:

1. Tomasello really dominated McGee. The style match up made it seem like McGee was stalling the entire time, but I think that has more to do with the match up in technique than McGee trying to stall. Tomasello really looks like a true champion when he's wrestled this season.

2. Both Jordans looked incredibly vulnerable tonight. Micah suffered his first official loss on a last second takedown, but didn't open up much before that either. Bo won on his feet but definitely lost on the mat (also, his banana split needs to be looked at more carefully). Lewis was wrestling like a true solid all american there.

3. Miklus has stepped up his game tremendously. The Tigers have a nasty lineup from 165 - 197.

4. I think the refs did a great job with their officiating. There were a couple of times I wasn't in 100% agreement, but they were all on judgement calls and that will always be the case. The stalling calls all seemed right - maybe one more would have been acceptable in the Martin/Cox match, but it wouldn't have ultimately mattered.

5. I think we may see BoJo back up to 174 after this. Ohio State didn't show anything that leads me to think they are contending for a title even with a healthy Hunter. They'd be fighting it out for a 3rd place plaque but I don't think it's worth pulling the shirts. They'll be even tougher next season with Pletcher (if he starts), Hayes, Martin and Snyder. 

6. Mizzou is always ready for a solid dual meet. Props to Smith and the Mizzou guys for a job well done.

165 match was highly entertaining. Other weights were really good as well. In the 165 I'm surprised the official allowed Lewis to stand up for several seconds with Bo on his shoulders before calling PD. They also have to address Bo's keylock on the one knee. He's going to rip someone's knee someday. 

Butler looked to be in Championship form in his match. 

Edited by TBar1977

The replay is availible anytime on the ESPN web player for those who have access via their cable provider

Is the link www.espnplayer.com ?  I get all the ESPN channels through my cable provider, but haven't been able to find the replays online.  When I go to the aforementioned link, I get the following message:

Sorry. ESPN Player is not currently available in your region. 

Help a brother out, mR. LoStNuMbEr...

Is the link www.espnplayer.com ?  I get all the ESPN channels through my cable provider, but haven't been able to find the replays online.  When I go to the aforementioned link, I get the following message:

Sorry. ESPN Player is not currently available in your region. 

Help a brother out, mR. LoStNuMbEr...

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index

Mizzou looked excellent but Bucks have some obvious issues.  First, Bo Jordan should be at 174.  He's your serious champ contender at the weight.  No reason to have him at 165.

Micah Jordan ran into a tough opponent with a good game plan.  Manley took away a lot of Micah's offense by staying on his knee (personally I think it should elicit a stall call but until it does it's a good tactic).  Even so, Micah lost because he got sloppy late.  It doesn't help that his riding is pedestrian. But I don't think this loss means Micah Jordan isn't still a really high level competitor at this wide open weight.

Jake Ryan keeps showing improvement.  He's improved by leaps and bounds since arriving in Columbus.  

Tomasello was brilliant against a tough McGhee.  Arguably his best effort of the season.

The Bucks three seniors--Courts, DiJulius and Mark Martin--all look like they're waiting for the season to end.  

Bucks need to let go of title repeat dreams, maximize their assets (Bo to 174, Micah and Tomasello) and try to coach up the remainder of the guys.  Then they need to pray Hunter Stieber comes back at 80%.  

Mizzou has a lot of AA prospects.  They won't all place but it wouldnt be a surprise to see them have as many as six.  They don't have the studs to challenge for a team title but will have to settle for being great in duals and tough at almost every weight.  

Also want to note the enthusiasm of the Mizzou fans.  Solid crowd and they were into it