Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Sanderson vs Ruth

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on how this match would have played out - both men being at the same age. Would it be a one sided beating, or a close match? Ruth seems nearly unstoppable with his impressive win at the Scuffle (and really since the beginning of last season) - I think it would be an interesting match up with Cael coming out on top in a decision. Thoughts?

/back to Taylor/Dake threads...

Guest Hammerlock3

it's important to understand how completely derivative ruths style is of sandersons.

Pretty sure I heard in a couple interviews that Ruth cannot beat Sanderson now, let alone then.

Cael definitely has lost a step or two, but right now has a sizable weight and strength advantage over Ruth.

Gotta agree with Vak. Ruth is an absolute monster....but Cael would be the thing that monsters check under the bed for at night before going to sleep...

Cael never loses to Ruth.

You won't meet a bigger Sanderson fan than myself, but some of you are getting a little carried away. If things go the way they almost certainly appear to be heading now, Ruth will finish his career with two losses as a freshman and three straight unbeaten seasons, and a level of dominance that rivals (but does not quite equal) Sanderson's. I think an argument could be made that Ruth's sophomore season was every bit as impressive as Cael's was. Do I think Cael wins? Yes, he had a more vast arsenal of weapons. But it's a hell of a match.

You won't meet a bigger Sanderson fan than myself, but some of you are getting a little carried away. If things go the way they almost certainly appear to be heading now, Ruth will finish his career with two losses as a freshman and three straight unbeaten seasons, and a level of dominance that rivals (but does not quite equal) Sanderson's. I think an argument could be made that Ruth's sophomore season was every bit as impressive as Cael's was. Do I think Cael wins? Yes, he had a more vast arsenal of weapons. But it's a hell of a match.

I really really don't think anyone is getting carried away. If Ruth doesn't lose again (quite possible) then you can say he only has 2 more losses than Cael. BUT something big is missing in that statement. It is not as if Cael has 3 losses to Ruth's 5 (or someting similar). Cael had ZERO. He did not lose at all, while wrestling tougher competition. I am a Ruth fan, believe me, but I think this match would be just like almost all Cael matches...he controls it and wins it, period.

Cael kills Ruth. No contest.

Cael was amazing, but really. Kills Ruth? Likely a 3 time NCAA champion that has dominated opposition. I'm not saying Ruth wins, but I think it's MUCH closer than most anticipate.

Look at Cael's college record and see how many studs he laid waste to in his career.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on how this match would have played out - both men being at the same age. Would it be a one sided beating, or a close match? Ruth seems nearly unstoppable with his impressive win at the Scuffle (and really since the beginning of last season) - I think it would be an interesting match up with Cael coming out on top in a decision. Thoughts?

/back to Taylor/Dake threads...

I take it you never saw Sanderson wrestle folkstyle? If you had you would know why he would not have a problem with Ruth. It wasn't just that Sanderson beat everyone, it was the way he wrestled in doing so, he made it look so easy.

Look at some of the guys Sanderson beat, and ask the question again. I think Hahn would handle Ruth, let alone Cael.
Now that's just plain silly. Are we talking about the same Hahn that lost to Victor Sveda, got majored by Cormier, and placed 5th at NCAA's twice at 184? That guy would beat Ruth??? Must be some other Hahn that I haven't heard of that you are speaking of.

I really really don't think anyone is getting carried away. If Ruth doesn't lose again (quite possible) then you can say he only has 2 more losses than Cael. BUT something big is missing in that statement. It is not as if Cael has 3 losses to Ruth's 5 (or someting similar). Cael had ZERO. He did not lose at all, while wrestling tougher competition. I am a Ruth fan, believe me, but I think this match would be just like almost all Cael matches...he controls it and wins it, period.

I hear that argument, but the flaw in your counterargument is that both of those losses were as a freshman. One was very early in his freshman year, and the other was subsequently avenged by a score of 11-0. Anyone can see that Ruth is a quantum leap better than he was as a freshman.

Cael wins, don't get me wrong. But acting like a guy who has barely broken a sweat in two years isn't in the match is going too far.

It would be interesting to see how a Cael-coached beast like Ruth would do against Cael as a college wrestler. Unfortunately, it will never happen.

But as amazing as Cael was in college, after college, he lost to guys like Sajidov, Romero, Tokaev, Gatsalov, and Fullhart. Those guys were quite a step up in competition, but it shows that Cael was not unbeatable.

A Ruth-Cael match would be interesting, but you have to give the benefit of the doubt to Cael -- the best folkstyler of the modern era. But I suspect the score would be close.

By the way, does anyone know what Ruth plans on doing after he graduates? Freestyle? MMA? Something else?

It would be interesting to see how a Cael-coached beast like Ruth would do against Cael as a college wrestler. Unfortunately, it will never happen.

But as amazing as Cael was in college, after college, he lost to guys like Sajidov, Romero, Tokaev, Gatsalov, and Fullhart. Those guys were quite a step up in competition, but it shows that Cael was not unbeatable.

A Ruth-Cael match would be interesting, but you have to give the benefit of the doubt to Cael -- the best folkstyler of the modern era. But I suspect the score would be close.

By the way, does anyone know what Ruth plans on doing after he graduates? Freestyle? MMA? Something else?

I think it would be closer than most imagine. Yes, I know Cael was THAT good. But I also see a man amongst boys right now as well. Has been dominating competition all along and has a very great chance of being a 3 time NCAA champ (3,1,1,1)!