Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

J'Den Cox pinned by Wellington?

Unnecessary roughness, ok.  Wellington got up put his headgear on, and the Ohio coach said take a dive.  Wellington looked pissed.  Very next match, Ohio heavyweight slams Mizzou's on his head, gets called for illegal slam, and the crowd is screaming for him to do the same, but Smith says he's ok to go.  Mizzou ended up winning the bout 8-4.  Character counts in Missouri, if not in Ohio.

Also, Cody Walters dad (I assume) was furious that he was called for stalling (despite taking one ankle pick attempt the whole match) and proceeded to scream "stalling" all through Miklus' match from the opening whistle.  Eventually he started in on Willie by name, at which point Mizzou officials warned him.  When Miklus got the win, he blew Mr. Walters a kiss.  It was hilarious.  Anyone who's ever watched Walters wrestle knows he has one move from neutral, roll and grab ankles on every opponent's shot.  It works pretty well for him, but the better wrestler won today, thank goodness.

I'd love to watch the video and actually count how many shot attempts Ohio took.  I'll bet the average was less than two per match.  

Unnecessary roughness, ok.  Wellington got up put his headgear on, and the Ohio coach said take a dive.  Wellington looked pissed.  Very next match, Ohio heavyweight slams Mizzou's on his head, gets called for illegal slam, and the crowd is screaming for him to do the same, but Smith says he's ok to go.  Mizzou ended up winning the bout 8-4.  Character counts in Missouri, if not in Ohio.

Also, Cody Walters dad (I assume) was furious that he was called for stalling (despite taking one ankle pick attempt the whole match) and proceeded to scream "stalling" all through Miklus' match from the opening whistle.  Eventually he started in on Willie by name, at which point Mizzou officials warned him.  When Miklus got the win, he blew Mr. Walters a kiss.  It was hilarious.  Anyone who's ever watched Walters wrestle knows he has one move from neutral, roll and grab ankles on every opponent's shot.  It works pretty well for him, but the better wrestler won today, thank goodness.

I'd love to watch the video and actually count how many shot attempts Ohio took.  I'll bet the average was less than two per match.  

If he hit his head, the coaches/trainers would have had no choice but to tell him to, "take a dive."  You know, with the whole concussion thing.  I'll wait until the video comes out before I make a judgement, but try to keep in mind these are college amateur athletes and not gladiators meant for your entertainment.  

If he hit his head, the coaches/trainers would have had no choice but to tell him to, "take a dive."  You know, with the whole concussion thing.  I'll wait until the video comes out before I make a judgement, but try to keep in mind these are college amateur athletes and not gladiators meant for your entertainment.  

Fair enough.  I guess our HWT getting bounced off his head is a different scenario.  Or maybe Brian Smith has a callous disregard for the health of his wrestlers.  I kinda doubt it.

Fair enough.  I guess our HWT getting bounced off his head is a different scenario.  Or maybe Brian Smith has a callous disregard for the health of his wrestlers.  I kinda doubt it.

Just saw the video.  It's on ESPN3.  Cox slams the guy on his head on the hardwood.  Wellington is clearly woozy, and trainers don't let him continue and take him to the locker room.  If they send him back out, they very well may have lost their jobs (see the Michigan QB situation with Hoke last year).  Cox displayed really poor sportsmanship, but he's such a competitor that it's understandable.  No excuse for an adult/fan though.  Were you the D-Bag fan who yelled out, "Where's the injury?!"  I hope not...better to look foolish on an online message board than in person.  Sometimes we forget these are college students.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Nope, wasn't me, Billy.  As for Cox, he's a young man who's character I'd put up against any student athlete in any sport anywhere. He was definitely more pissed than I've ever seen him.  So how long does an athlete have to sit out if he has a concussion?

Don't doubt that about Cox.  We all have moments like that, but most of ours aren't in front of big crowds.  

I'm not sure what the exact protocol is, but I think they first have to diagnose him with a concussion.  So if the trainers think an athlete MIGHT have a concussion, they take him out of competition immediately/back to the locker room.  Then it really depends how the guy responds to the different tests/whether he feels nauseous/sensitivity to lights/etc.  I also think it is standard that there is some type of cognitive test that all these athletes take in the beginning of the season, and they must match the score (it tests concentration/focus/or something).

Once diagnosed, he's held out for a while...At least until completely asymptomatic.  Here are the full guidelines:  http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/concussion-guidelines

That pic is pretty clear that Wellington initiated a roll with the momentum of the lift.  Pretty hard for Cox to pick him up and turn him upside down all while holding him at arms length. 

Watch the video.  Here is the direct link:  http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2718694/   1:09 in.  Whether or not the slam was unsportsmanlike is a judgement call. From my view, Cox pushed Wellington out of bounds and initated the lift when they were essentially already off the mat.  He essentially tossed the guy into the table (that is more of the issue rather than the landing on the head).  You could say the mat is too small, but that is on Mizzou because they are the home team.  I think the call was the right one, and I think there's no doubt the trainers had to call the match off.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Wow...just watched the video with Cox and Wellington.  Who cares really about the call of unsportsmanlike and what not.  At the end of the day, we are a community of current and former wrestlers.  Yes... we care deeply about the complete domination of the opponent.  but... it's ON the mat.  Cox's display after the match was that of a 12 year old who got upset because they lost a match "unfairly".  It was also a display of what appeared to be pure rage.  That amount of "hate" crosses the line of Sportsmanship, and has no place in our martial art.  We are all current or former participants in the oldest and greatest sport on earth, and to see this type of behavior from a former NCAA champ and potential challenger for the 97kg spot on Team USA is horrible.  

I wonder how he'll react when Snyder drops him on HIS head, and walks off quietly because he knows he would kick his butt again.  C'mon Cox.  Get real here.  You ARE the better wrestler.  There's no need for these childish antics.  Kids in elementary, middle, and high school look up to you and want to emulate your style, and there's no way my child will EVER emulate this behavior.  I call BS on this, and hope the rest of the community does to.

I just returned home from the Dual.

I am a big Mizzou fan, but Cox deserved to be DQ.

I dont view the heavyweight scenario the same as 197.

Some good matches. Ohio 125 &141 were both tough and of course the Butler vs Walters match at 174 was as good as expected.

Wow...just watched the video with Cox and Wellington.  Who cares really about the call of unsportsmanlike and what not.  At the end of the day, we are a community of current and former wrestlers.  Yes... we care deeply about the complete domination of the opponent.  but... it's ON the mat.  Cox's display after the match was that of a 12 year old who got upset because they lost a match "unfairly".  It was also a display of what appeared to be pure rage.  That amount of "hate" crosses the line of Sportsmanship, and has no place in our martial art.  We are all current or former participants in the oldest and greatest sport on earth, and to see this type of behavior from a former NCAA champ and potential challenger for the 97kg spot on Team USA is horrible.  

I wonder how he'll react when Snyder drops him on HIS head, and walks off quietly because he knows he would kick his butt again.  C'mon Cox.  Get real here.  You ARE the better wrestler.  There's no need for these childish antics.  Kids in elementary, middle, and high school look up to you and want to emulate your style, and there's no way my child will EVER emulate this behavior.  I call BS on this, and hope the rest of the community does to.

Dead on.

Watch the video.  Here is the direct link:  http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2718694/   1:09 in.  Whether or not the slam was unsportsmanlike is a judgement call. From my view, Cox pushed Wellington out of bounds and initated the lift when they were essentially already off the mat.  He essentially tossed the guy into the table (that is more of the issue rather than the landing on the head).  You could say the mat is too small, but that is on Mizzou because they are the home team.  I think the call was the right one, and I think there's no doubt the trainers had to call the match off.  

That link only works if my isp (Time Warner Cable) is a participating provider, which it isn't.  If the link worked people would have already have seen the match.

Here's a snippet showing the incident:
https://twitter.com/A_Kauff/status/676134212882202624

What you can see in the tweet:  Cox got a 6-step running start from the center and toward the scorer's table, then initiated a crotch lift when the wrestlers were already at the boundary.  Wellington came down upside down and dislodged the scorer's table.

What you can't see in the tweet -- you need to see the side-view replay on the ESPN stream to catch this:  Wellington's head hit first, directly onto the exposed hardwood basketball court.  Then his knee hit the scorer's table.

Anyone who sees this and still wants to quibble over the DQ is a jackass.  This was entirely preventable by Cox, and Wellington is lucky to not be paralyzed with a broken neck.

Edited by Jefe

I thought the new concussion protocol was that athletes had to be evaluated in a back room before a doctor determined if they could return.  Did I just imagine that?

I was wrong.  The ref has to ask for a concussion evaluation, which can take place anywhere, without time limits.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/15039

I was surprised that the Missouri heavyweight passed the concussion evaluation, given the way he was acting after getting thrown onto his forehead.