Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Ohio State Twitter - Ask Coach Ryan

Some interesting entries today. Looks like Bo is staying at 165 as he wants another shot at Ringer. Also an interesting entry related to Myles Martin which I take as a subtle nudge from Coach Ryan to the Martin camp to have Myles wrestle this year. 

If Bo is 100 percent going 165, then they are a better team if Myles comes off redshirt. 

Everyone wants him to get another shot at Dieringer. If Bo does stay at 165 and Myles comes of RS at 174 what does that do for the other title contending teams? Who does it help or hurt? PSU, OK state, Iowa.

I think Bo at 165 helps all three teams, assuming he is favored over  Nickal/Crutch/Meyer. However, if Martin can beat one (or all) of those guys, it's a gamble paying off. 

If Myles wants to redshirt, the coach really shouldn't be giving public pressure to force him not to.

EDIT: or at least saying things that could be interpreted that way.

How do you think the conversation goes if a wrestler comes into Brands' office and says, "Hi Tom.  I know you want me to start, think i'm ready, and think that it will be best for the team, but I really think I should stay in redshirt for the year."  

How do you think the conversation goes if a wrestler comes into Brands' office and says, "Hi Tom. I know you want me to start, think i'm ready, and think that it will be best for the team, but I really think I should stay in redshirt for the year."

Ask Alex Tsirtsis.

Zero-sum game, if it helps tOSU, it must hurt someone. 

I hear what you are saying. If you want to examine it closely then this is what the current Intermat Rankings suggest in so far as predicted order of finish among tOSU, PSU, Ok St, and Iowa.

If BoJo stays at 174

Bo Jordan (he was ranked ahead of Crutchmer)

Crutchmer

Meyer

Nickal

Ringer

Morelli/Rasheed (PSU)

Iowa and Ohio State UR

If Bo Jordan goes 165

Crutchmer

Meyer

Nickal

Myles Martin

Ringer

Bio Jordan

Morelli/Rasheed (PSU)

Iowa UR

My thoughts on this are:

Ohio State clearly does better if Jordan goes 165. If Bo stays 174 then he could win 174, but he could also finish 2nd or 3rd at that weight. But Ohio State would get close to nothing at 165. If he goes 165, which it appears he will, then he gets 2nd or 3rd at 165 and the Buckeyes get something out of Martin at 174.

I want to talk about Iowa next because I don't believe in Meyer being better then Nickal, and he may not be better than Martin either. I'm not sold on the guy as a top 5 guy. Martin could go 174 and finish higher than Meyer which in my mind helps Penn State and Oklahoma State while hurting Iowa. Bo going to 165 has no real impact on Iowa at that weight. 

Oklahoma State shouldn't be impacted all that much. Ringer is still #1 at 165 and I don't believe Martin's presence changes Crutchmer's final standing at 174. If you believe Nickal finishes higher than Martin, then the same thing applies to Penn State. There is one caveat. If either Crutchmer or Nickal face Martin and win by DEC instead of winning with BONUS against a lesser wrestler (there are a LOT of assumptions built into this scenario) then, in theory, they get hurt a little. 

I doubt it helps or hurts anyone other than it helps Ohio State. 

I tend to agree. If anything I would say it would MAYBE hurt PSU. At 174 it is a wash, but PSU has more of a chance of points at 165 than Iowa so BoJo locking up a podium spot makes scoring meaningful point at 165 a little harder.   

Edited by OtisCampbell

I wonder if Coach Ryan is trying to show Myles and sell him on the fact that this season, for both he and the team, present just as good if not THE best chance for Myles to show well, up to as including winning it all.

Similar to Retherford, Nico, and countless others...wrestling this season for Myles doesn't prohibit he fr taking a redshirt season down the road, including maybe eve as early as next season.

I'm sure it's been brought to his attention, but with Myles arch nemesis Valencia redshirting this season and with 174 being as open as it's ever been (the class graduated the top 6 from last season), it might make sense individually for a less seasoned Myles Martin taking a crack at the 174 title again with Valencia redshirting and against a rookie Bo Nickal than say versus coming out a little more seasoned next year but facing a much tougher road/competition.

This situation is definitely one of the drawbacks to an Individual sport that also decides a team championship based on 10 Individual tournament results.  In most sports this would be a no-brainer.  A true freshman would happily come out of redshirt for a chance at a team national title.  However, an Individual 4 year legacy is what most fans(other than maybe Iowa and PSU) will judge a wrestler by.  How many team championships he won would be a distant second.

This has to be an extremely delicate and aggravating situation for Tom Ryan.  With the uncertainty of Snyder and DiJulius, Stieber, Courts and Mark Martin graduating you never know when your next chance to win it all will be.  I know he has a ton of youth on the team but you have to worry about the here and now.  A healthy and motivated H. Stieber along with a low AA in Myles would sure appear to put them square into the Team Championship mix.  In addition, you would think you would want to compete on a National Championship team in your brother's last season.  I hope he comes out of redshirt.

125: Nato-National Champ

133: DiJulius-7th place

141: M. Jordan-6th place

149: H. Stieber-Finalist

157: Ryan-Wins a match or 2

165: BoJo-Finalist

174: Myles-6th place

184: Courts-6th place

197: Martin-R12

285:Tavanello-7th place

The above results are far from a guarantee but none are out of the realm of possibility.  That would definitely put them over 100 pts and in a great position to win it all!