Sign in to follow this  
TMNT

Dake and Bonus Points Podcast

just listened to the first half where Dake talks a lot about the the world championship, the US trials and a little about Burroughs. didn't come across as inflammatory at all. some might hear excuses but it sounded like a competitor who was frustrated by past results and circumstances (although Dake talked far more about the Worlds, wishing they allowed more than one athlete per country at each weight, than he did about the US trials and set up with regards to returning world medalists). 

Dake also says he is committed to 86 going forward. he knows more than me whats best for him but from my point of view, if things go poorly from him this weekend I would move back down to 74 and keep coming after Burroughs. 

I thought his comments seemed a little the "USA wrestling world" doesn't want me to win but what ever has to motivate you I guess. I for one am excited to see him at 86 with his athleticism, power, and big move capability.

It doesn't seem like he has fully grasped the concept that he is no longer the golden boy where everything goes his way.  He is in a different spot where he has to earn his victories against the best in the world. Burroughs is the man in USA Wrestling.  Dake will have to dethrone him by either beating him or achieving similar states at 86.   Although, Kyle Snyder is ahead of him in that department, as well.  For him to say anything about sending two reps at each weight to the worlds would still mean he has to beat Burroughs for gold if he could get that far.  Plus, who would want to have two Russians at each weight.

Wrestlingshoe said it best. More than one rep per country just increases the chance of a Russian sweep.

That said, I would love it as a spectator. There's nothing more entertaining in wrestling than watching two high level Russians go at it. It's like watching the wrestling version of a speed chess match.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

He is, of course, correct in that the system favors the defending champ (rightly or wrongly). But whether he personally has a beef with that depends on his showing that he could beat Burroughs in a "fair" tournament. And there is no evidence that he could.

The US trials system is ridiculous. A highly stacked deck. The favoritism is impossible to miss. Stacking the deck sends a message loud and clear that you favor one competitor over another and that message translates across the board, even to how the match is called. After that 4 point call in their first match at the trials you better be paranoid. There is a reason Dake is participating in the farce of going to 86. It became clear to me that US wrestling does not want Burroughs to lose. Burroughs is hard enough to beat in freestyle, the only style I would favor him over Dake. Then you add the rest of it and it is not worth the effort.  

All of the matches between Burroughs and Dake have been officiated fairly and impartially. 

I love the US trials system.  It is slightly stacked, but in favor of proven winners.  Further, it is entirely reasonable to expect a competitor to wrestle 5 times to the best of their ability during the course of a day.  They can't expect to succeed at an Olympics or World Championship if they are unable to do that.

That is the crux of it. The US has trouble competing at the world level against Russia and Iran so they are going to make sure to favor anyone they think has a chance to medal. If you are not going to compete team wise for the most part you better make sure those few guys who can medal make it. So they stacked the deck. But it is an unfair system and a system that signifies that we cannot compete. So yes I think US wrestling favors Burroughs significantly because he is really their only sure bet, right down to outright bias. I noticed it and I know Taylor and Dake certainly noticed it. Because there is no way they will ever compete at 86. That makes the point succinctly. Calling it whining just reflects the loser mentality of the whole system.

The US trials system is ridiculous. A highly stacked deck. The favoritism is impossible to miss. Stacking the deck sends a message loud and clear that you favor one competitor over another and that message translates across the board, even to how the match is called. After that 4 point call in their first match at the trials you better be paranoid. There is a reason Dake is participating in the farce of going to 86. It became clear to me that US wrestling does not want Burroughs to lose. Burroughs is hard enough to beat in freestyle, the only style I would favor him over Dake. Then you add the rest of it and it is not worth the effort.  

What other styles would Burroughs compete in? He is not a Greco guy and I would probably favor Dake in beach wrestling, Sumo and Turkish oil wrestling, but that is really beside the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSU5998s4RM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDinE65pklA

You can judge for yourself from these videos. The throw is bookmarked so you can

click on it. Change the speed settings to .25 and decide for yourself. Make sure to

click through to youtube for better resolution and frame rate.

He appears to try the throw but it does not work and he goes to his own back.

There is nothing stopping him from going 74kg and trying to beat him in Turkey.

Edited by jhc

to be fair dake was basically sidelined for a year and a half with multiple injuries, so he never really got a chance to compete overseas. And dake is right, wrestling the trials all day to face a fresh world champ is a sisyphean task. going up to 86 is his best shot at making a team. with that said the system we have is our best shot at medalling, most of ours guys would go 0-1 at worlds

The system IS unfair because it's designed specifically to give proven guys an unfair advantage. Dake keeps talking about it because people who interview him keep asking him about it. There's nothing wrong with calling it like it is. Would any of you want to wrestle a fresh JB after running the gauntlet? While I think his best chances are at 74 kg, that's just my opinion and I certainly can't blame Dake for trying to optimize his chances for making the team.

I was surprised to hear he was up to low 180s in weight. He still looks pretty lean so whatever he's doing in the weight room is working. I wonder if some of his freaky agility and flexibility will go with the added size.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

So the system is grossly unfair. The system is ineffective. And the bias in the system is so overt that Taylor and Dake have basically ended their international careers. All for a 5th place finish and very limited fan interest. Success.