Sign in to follow this  
JasonBryant

College Wrestling Dropped Project - Your help needed

Maryville College, Maryville Tennessee had wrestling until the 80's

University of Tennessee-KNoxville similar story

Per my post: "I need concrete dates (not guestimations) of when these programs were cut."

Tennessee dropped its program in 1986, after finishing 8th in the 1985 NCAA tournament. (They also beat Iowa State in a dual in 1985 by one point. The Cyclones finished higher at the NCAAs that year though, placing 3rd.)

You can find documentation of the above at the University of Tennessee Wrestling Alumni Facebook page. FYI, below is a link to one of the bits of information on that page, concerning Tennessee's one and only NCAA individual champion, Chris Edmond. I believe you will find the last paragraph, where Chris talks about his coach very moving. (And being from ODU I'm sure you know the coach I'm speaking of. ENJOY.)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1025279761026&set=o.59116943657

x

That's interesting that Tenn. dropped just after their most successful season. C.U. Boulder dropped when they were ranked in the top 10. (I believe 6th, but not certain) USC Pueblo was one of the favorites to win the DII Tournament and they dropped before season began. I guess admins, etc. must hurry and get rid of up and coming programs before they garner any more support, prestige, etc.

That's interesting that Tenn. dropped just after their most successful season. C.U. Boulder dropped when they were ranked in the top 10. (I believe 6th, but not certain) USC Pueblo was one of the favorites to win the DII Tournament and they dropped before season began. I guess admins, etc. must hurry and get rid of up and coming programs before they garner any more support, prestige, etc.

In Tennessee's case I think it had a lot to do with the other SEC prgrams dropping out. The entire conference never participated initially and I once heard that Tennessee was the last SEC team to drop wrestling.

It's a shame that also happened to the other up and coming programs you mentioned. And I think you may be onto something concerning the motivation of the admins, etc. acting when they did.

Bethany (2012) Benedictine (2013) are adding for those seasons. St. Mary's of the Plains in Dodge City, Ks had a program but dropped when the school closed it's doors in the mid to early 90's. I believe records of the school are now kept at FHSU.

Mount St. Clare (Clinton, Iowa)

Final season was 2001-02, just before the school's name changed to The Franciscan University (2003), then The Franciscan University of the Prairies (2004), then Ashford University (2005-present).

Source: current Ashford SID.

You might want to add one of the few success stories to this particular listing, Binghamton University.

As I am sure you recall, their school's President dropped their program after the 2003-2004 season and a major campaign to ressurect it brought it back for the 2005-2006 season missing just the one season.

Mike