Aviator12

OSU Cowboy's Imminent Lineup Shuffle?

I'm curious what more Coach Smith needs to evaluate.  Jo is clearly better than Marstreller and Bless.  The Marstreller experiment needs to stop!  This year OSU best chance at a national title with it being Dieringer last year.  I find it interesting that he's willing to burn Brock's redshirt when he clearly hadn't beaten wrestlers on the same level as Jo (Lavallee, Cottrell, Blees, Marstellar).  Prior to Brewer, Harding was probably Brock's best win.

Harding is hurt, that is why Brock's RS was pulled early.  Even if he wasn't, there is nobody else with a shot at AA for them at 133.  For a while they were even trying to get Magaldo down, but he got a concussion last week in an open tournament at 141.  Once that happened, Brock had become the only answer, so there was no point in delaying the decision.

At 157 there is still an option besides Joe (Marstellar).  So nobody is waiting to see more out of Joe, they are wisely giving Chance time.  Joe can wrestle the scuffle unattached, so the only thing pulling him last week does is let him wrestle OU and Wyoming (both easy matches).  Instead he is going unattached to Reno.  

I'm curious what more Coach Smith needs to evaluate.  Jo is clearly better than Marstreller and Bless.  The Marstreller experiment needs to stop!  This year OSU best chance at a national title with it being Dieringer last year.  I find it interesting that he's willing to burn Brock's redshirt when he clearly hadn't beaten wrestlers on the same level as Jo (Lavallee, Cottrell, Blees, Marstellar).  Prior to Brewer, Harding was probably Brock's best win.

Could be anything, including playing the long game in recruiting . For example, in div 1 sports like basketball, you see 5-star freshman start or get undeserved minutes all the time. When a head coach sells a high-profile recruit on playing time, being an impact player, and developing their game, it reflects negatively with future recruits of a similar caliber when they are benched.  I'm not saying this is the case with Marsteller and am aware that wrestling and basketball recruitment are two different animals, but it might be something to consider. Coaches don't always make the right decision when the politics of recruiting, the AD, fans, family, etc. come into play.

There is no doubt that JoJo is their top choice, but is it worth burning his RS for 2-3 points at nationals? THAT is what they are evaluating, I imagine.

There is no doubt that JoJo is their top choice, but is it worth burning his RS for 2-3 points at nationals? THAT is what they are evaluating, I imagine.

It won't be "burned" he can use it another year if needed. Was it worth "burning" Pat's? Edited by ionel

Harding is hurt, that is why Brock's RS was pulled early.  Even if he wasn't, there is nobody else with a shot at AA for them at 133.  For a while they were even trying to get Magaldo down, but he got a concussion last week in an open tournament at 141.  Once that happened, Brock had become the only answer, so there was no point in delaying the decision.

At 157 there is still an option besides Joe (Marstellar).  So nobody is waiting to see more out of Joe, they are wisely giving Chance time.  Joe can wrestle the scuffle unattached, so the only thing pulling him last week does is let him wrestle OU and Wyoming (both easy matches).  Instead he is going unattached to Reno.  

Wow, somebody with a little common sense, Harding has 2 bad knees now. The only question about what happened at 133 was John pulled the trigger a little early on Magaldo (just because a concussion, but Mike has already been release from Doc). Happy for Kaid.  John must of seen something in Kaid because Magaldo was taking it to him in the room.  

This board has really gone to hell, good reading if you want to have a good laugh. Not going to go point for point on all this cr#p. Alex isn't going up. Bless has a high ankle sprain which has limited his wrestling, even if he didn't, he hasn't shown enough in the offensive department. Chance is slowly coming along which doesn't mean he will be ready for Nationals. Joe is wrestling Reno which will show alittle more about him and we still have the SS in two weeks. At that time John Coach/ Daddy will make a decision. I think that covers all the "I know more than you do". Unless you believe you know more than me. If you do, I'm always looking for a good laugh!

Obviously, first off, no one is apparently as cool as you or anywhere near your level, so I apologize in advance for responding to your post without filling out an application first.

I'm an Ohio State fan. A newer one at that. I was a 3 sport guy in high school, but wrestling was not one of them. I had several friends in high school who wrestled and my intrigue in the sport began there. It wasn't until after my brief minor league baseball career ended that my now business partner, a 2 X state champ back in the early/mid 90's, turned me onto OSU and it's wrestling program.

I've been hooked ever since, so much to where I've become a fan of college wrestling across the board....hence me being here.

In saying all this, I don't pretend to act like I know the actual going ons behind the scenes at Ohio State, let alone across the country at Oklahoma State. If I hear something, I share it, or ask about it's details on here and the like... which I'm pretty sure is what these forums are intended for I'm the first place??

I brought this up because it was discussed somewhere else from a few posters a hell of a lot more credible than who you are, nor ever will be.

In fact, I've never heard of u or know who you are, so the last thing, beyond expressing my feelings in this post, will be me concerned about what content/discussion floats the boat of a meaningless poster such as yourself.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you simply just get over yourself, and I'd start now.... as it appears you may have a ways to go before you meet up with reality again. (relative to your sense of worth).

Luckily for you, your a Cowboys fan, so you already have a background capable of helping expedite your descent off the high horse your on.

This thread is 3 pages long because it's a topic worth discussing amongst adults. I can promise you the traffic has nothing to do with your take on the matter. I suggest also in the mean time you start a solo message board so your ensure yourself the quality you seemingly deserve. Win Win.

Douchebag

Obviously, first off, no one is apparently as cool as you or anywhere near your level, so I apologize in advance for responding to your post without filling out an application first.

I'm an Ohio State fan. A newer one at that. I was a 3 sport guy in high school, but wrestling was not one of them. I had several friends in high school who wrestled and my intrigue in the sport began there. It wasn't until after my brief minor league baseball career ended that my now business partner, a 2 X state champ back in the early/mid 90's, turned me onto OSU and it's wrestling program.

I've been hooked ever since, so much to where I've become a fan of college wrestling across the board....hence me being here.

In saying all this, I don't pretend to act like I know the actual going ons behind the scenes at Ohio State, let alone across the country at Oklahoma State. If I hear something, I share it, or ask about it's details on here and the like... which I'm pretty sure is what these forums are intended for I'm the first place??

I brought this up because it was discussed somewhere else from a few posters a hell of a lot more credible than who you are, nor ever will be.

In fact, I've never heard of u or know who you are, so the last thing, beyond expressing my feelings in this post, will be me concerned about what content/discussion floats the boat of a meaningless poster such as yourself.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you simply just get over yourself, and I'd start now.... as it appears you may have a ways to go before you meet up with reality again. (relative to your sense of worth).

Luckily for you, your a Cowboys fan, so you already have a background capable of helping expedite your descent off the high horse your on.

This thread is 3 pages long because it's a topic worth discussing amongst adults. I can promise you the traffic has nothing to do with your take on the matter. I suggest also in the mean time you start a solo message board so your ensure yourself the quality you seemingly deserve. Win Win.

Douchebag

Well if I'm a douchebag, then I would fit in quite well with your group, and especially this forum. I would also fit in just because I think I know it all since half of the regular posters on this site feels the same way. If you call your credible posters implying about the OSU wrestlers changing four different weights for what ever the reasoning, I sure would like what your group is on, only if I'm not driving!

Well if I'm a douchebag, then I would fit in quite well with your group, and especially this forum. I would also fit in just because I think I know it all since half of the regular posters on this site feels the same way. If you call your credible posters implying about the OSU wrestlers changing four different weights for what ever the reasoning, I sure would like what your group is on, only if I'm not driving!

While further showing your genius on the subject matter, have you ever heard of Penn State? Look em up, if I call correctly, they already did what's being discussed to fit Mega back into the lineup, and yet still keep Conoway and Guilbon in the lineup wedged between yet another wrestler who bumped up a class in Retherford. Guess what moron? All this shifting in weight classes was done for one reason... For PSU to field it's best lineup and to get their star back into the lineup coming off redshirt. But please... Don't let facts stop your ignorance.

Douchebag

That makes no sense on so many levels. First, what would folks on ohiowrestling.net know about what Smith may be thinking in Oklahoma.

If I'm not mistaken, the starting 141 for OK State is a St Ed's graduate. Reasonable to assume someone along that line has loose lips. Edited by lu_alum

While further showing your genius on the subject matter, have you ever heard of Penn State? Look em up, if I call correctly, they already did what's being discussed to fit Mega back into the lineup, and yet still keep Conoway and Guilbon in the lineup wedged between yet another wrestler who bumped up a class in Retherford. Guess what moron? All this shifting in weight classes was done for one reason... For PSU to field it's best lineup and to get their star back into the lineup coming off redshirt. But please... Don't let facts stop your ignorance.

Douchebag

Every team is different moron, you can't compare one team to another because there wrestlers and ranking are different, as for Dean saying something to some of his kin folk, what has that got to do with what is happening in the room and coaches because sorry to tell you, nor does it matter, I know what's going in there. I don't post here or on other boards for a reason so I will make you happy and just disappear for a while, not because of your posturing up but because I'm tired of wasting my time on you. Douchbag

I'm curious to what this thread is about...The "Big Red" will dominate this tournament after a month's rest...Wait they may be a little rusty...I heard Iowa was sending their second string to mix things up...I haven't heard of Penn State do they wrestle???

P.S.

Edited by CTMopar

Wasn't attempting to predict all (or any other) NCAA results, simply whether bumping up 40% of the lineup mid-season might result in more points.  I say most won't fair better going up a weight class mid-season, you may disagree which is fine, perhaps all coaches should bump guys up in January?  May have better info after this weekend, let's wait and see.  

Weekend is over, do we have better information now?  

Every team is different moron, you can't compare one team to another because there wrestlers and ranking are different, as for Dean saying something to some of his kin folk, what has that got to do with what is happening in the room and coaches because sorry to tell you, nor does it matter, I know what's going in there. I don't post here or on other boards for a reason so I will make you happy and just disappear for a while, not because of your posturing up but because I'm tired of wasting my time on you. Douchbag

Nice comeback, very original. Lmao.

Douchebag

Douchebag

not mid-year

If one goes back to the start of the season when Oklahoma State was predicted as likely co-favorites with Penn State, all of this chat boils down to one thing--Marsteller has been much less than anticipated.  To begin, Klimara and Colilica were somewhat iffy--possibly AA, but not high.  Heil and Crutchmer were highly ranked, not quite proven elites and they have been very good,  Marsden was solid, probably mid-AA, and Dieringer was golden.  At 184 and 197 there were problems along with Harding--now apparently solved.  This leaves 157.
Maybe the fix is to put JoJo in the lineup and worry about Marsteller for next year at 165.  A wholesale lineup shift from 157 to 184 seems drastic.  Can Marsteller find the winning formula at 165?  Maybe.  Can Crutchmer be a national finalist at 184?  Not likely.

Stay tuned for John's lineup puts at the Scuffle.

Didn't say that I believed the assumption. I was simply suggesting how someone in Ohio might have information as to what is happening in Stillwater OK.

If you were writing for a newspaper your words would be viewed as an accusation. Period.

BTW, Heil isn't the only Ohioan on the roster.

not mid-year

Really? Then how do you explain at least 3, if not 4 UNC wrestlers bumping weights over Christmas break to make room for Joey Ward at 141, including highly ranked Ramos moving up to 174 from 165?

I'll hang up and listen...