SetonHallPirate

Midlands...

Anybody think NC State can make a run at Iowa? Haven't gone through the math or anything yet, but remember, tournament scoring at Midlands is a heck of a lot different than tournament scoring at Nationals (the actual numbers are the same, but the mechanics are different due to those R16 and R12 guys becoming Midlands placers, for example.)

Outside of Gwiaz and Jack and maybe Rohskopf? they don't really have many potential finalists.

Iowa has Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, Meyer, Brooks, and Burak. With an outside shot of Stoll.  

Grothus will also be making his first apperance at 141, and of the season.  He has made weight a few times and been feeling really great lately. I'm excited to see what hes able to do at this weight class.

Obviously I had the wrong team...based on the top contenders list Midlands released earlier today, projected team scores:

1. Iowa, 113.5

2. Nebraska, 112

3. North Carolina State, 79

4. Illinois, 74.5

5t. Oklahoma, 53.5

5t. Rutgers, 53.5

7. Old Dominion, 45.5

8. Oregon State, 36

9. Ohio, 35

10. Wisconsin, 34.5

11. Northern Iowa, 29.5

12. Kent State, 26

13. Arizona State, 25.5

14. CSU Bakersfield, 25

15. Northwestern, 23.5

16t. Iowa State, 23

16t. South Dakota State, 23

18. American, 22

19t. Pittsburgh, 20.5

19t. Princeton, 20.5

21t. North Dakota State, 16.5

21t. Rider, 16.5

23. Purdue, 13

24. Harvard, 12

25. Maryland, 11

26. Eastern Michigan, 10

27. Indiana, 9

28. Franklin & Marshall, 6.5

29t. Columbia, 2

29t. Northern Illinois, 2

Of note is that there isn't a single non-D1 wrestler or postgrad in the "top contenders" ranking...

Obviously I had the wrong team...based on the top contenders list Midlands released earlier today, projected team scores:

1. Iowa, 113.5

2. Nebraska, 112

4. Illinois, 74.5

5t. Oklahoma, 53.5

5t. Rutgers, 53.5

7. Old Dominion, 45.5

8. Oregon State, 36

9. Ohio, 35

10. Wisconsin, 34.5

11. Northern Iowa, 29.5

12. Kent State, 26

13. Arizona State, 25.5

14. CSU Bakersfield, 25

15. Northwestern, 23.5

16t. Iowa State, 23

18. American, 22

19t. Pittsburgh, 20.5

19t. Princeton, 20.5

21t. Rider, 16.5

23. Purdue, 13

24. Harvard, 12

25. Maryland, 11

26. Eastern Michigan, 10

27. Indiana, 9

29t. Columbia, 2

Of note is that there isn't a single non-D1 wrestler or postgrad in the "top contenders" ranking...

.........Grand View may  have something to say about that.  Not sure how many they are entering though. 

I am pretty confused by the Top Contender list.  

I think it is missing a lot of guys, redshirts, post grads and non-d1.  

Why did they even bother listing them in some kind of seeding order if they were going to put TJ Dudley #1? They should have just put them in order alphabetically or strictly by a set of rankings. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Nothing new folks. They do this every year with "contenders." It will vary from the seeds.

Yep its been this way since ... well forever.  It's Northwestern, they don't know how to put out useful/acurate info, evidently no smart folks there.  ;_;

1. Iowa, 113.5

2. Nebraska, 112

4. Illinois, 74.5

5t. Oklahoma, 53.5

5t. Rutgers, 53.5

7. Old Dominion, 45.5

8. Oregon State, 36

9. Ohio, 35

10. Wisconsin, 34.5

11. Northern Iowa, 29.5

12. Kent State, 26

13. Arizona State, 25.5

14. CSU Bakersfield, 25

15. Northwestern, 23.5

16t. Iowa State, 23

18. American, 22

19t. Pittsburgh, 20.5

19t. Princeton, 20.5

21t. Rider, 16.5

23. Purdue, 13

24. Harvard, 12

25. Maryland, 11

26. Eastern Michigan, 10

27. Indiana, 9

29t. Columbia, 2

One would think that a tourny like this benefits a team like Nebraska who is very strong/balanced without many "stand outs". They seem to have a lot of guys in that 6-15 range that will score a lot of points here but might not necessarily do so at Nationals. Whereas Gwiz/Kevin Jack alone might make them favored over Nebraska at the NCAAs. 

Does anyone think Richards can beat Clark? Any word on if Virgina Tech will be sending Dance to possibly face Gilman at 125? I know I had heard some rumors about this a week or so ago..

The last thing I heard from Dresser was that Gabel was going and that they weren't sure who else would be making the trip.  I'm hoping Dance goes and it would be nice to see Brascetta and Epperly too, since they missed Vegas.

Hokie, have Brascetta and/or Epperly wrestled since the Penn State dual?

No, they stayed home for the Dakotas trip as well.  Jason Bryant had some info about both in his last podcast.  I can't remember the exact issue with either guy but it didn't sound extremely serious.  If I remember correctly, Epp's injury happened in the match with Nickal.  Not sure about Brascetta.

No, they stayed home for the Dakotas trip as well.  Jason Bryant had some info about both in his last podcast.  I can't remember the exact issue with either guy but it didn't sound extremely serious.  If I remember correctly, Epp's injury happened in the match with Nickal.  Not sure about Brascetta.

Thanks. I noticed on Intermat their records were not changing, so I was just wondering what was up with them. 

Midlands used to be a lot tougher than it is today.

Agreed, but that's mainly because the Midlands has turned into a college tournament whereas in the past, many of the top guys in the senior world team ladder also entered. The college entrants this year are pretty tough and comparable to those (college) of the past.

Edited by wrestlingnerd