SetonHallPirate

Midlands...

Midlands used to be a lot tougher than it is today.

also Midlands was like a mid-season nationals before CKLV and SS. while those are tough tourneys they are NOT what Midlands used to be either.

I like that some guys don't see each other until Nationals.... it leaves questions unanswered and, too me at least, makes the NCAA's more interesting and exciting..... I've had my room reservation since a week after last years NCAA's.

takedown, that was a thing of the past. The NCAA passed a rule banning college tournaments from admitting high school athletes effective for, and probably because of, the year after a middle schooler entered the Nittany Lion Open (and actually won a match in that tournament...you might have heard of Chance Marsteller).

Agreed, but that's mainly because the Midlands has turned into a college tournament whereas in the past, many of the top guys in the senior world team ladder also entered. The college entrants this year are pretty tough and comparable to those (college) of the past.

Good observation.  Sunkist Kids used to be tough--won it one year--and the old, loaded Hawkey Club was a consistent contender.

David Taylor wrestling at midlands has to be looked at as a gift for everyone involved in folkstyle wrestling.  He gets to enjoy being out on the mat in his prime competing and having fun while simultaneously getting used to the weight change, college guys have a crack at an NCAA legend, and we get to see one of the true entertainers put on a show.

Very exciting and like many have said, it would be great if more post grads would enter the Midands.   The Dake comment's a funny one and yes I'd love to see him enter, but I can't see him beating Taylor in Folk. David's just too big for him for that style.   But back to the tournament, I'd love to see all the guys at 65 kg enter as well as guys like Abas, Cejudo, Simmons, and the D2 kid from Compton CA who has not been defeated in a college folkstyle match after 3 seasons.   

Very exciting and like many have said, it would be great if more post grads would enter the Midands.   The Dake comment's a funny one and yes I'd love to see him enter, but I can't see him beating Taylor in Folk. David's just too big for him for that style.   But back to the tournament, I'd love to see all the guys at 65 kg enter as well as guys like Abas, Cejudo, Simmons, and the D2 kid from Compton CA who has not been defeated in a college folkstyle match after 3 seasons.   

There was talk a couple of years ago of premier post grads getting a team together to compete at the Midlands.  Sadly, never happened.

Grand View is going to make some people realize what NAIA is.    Always made me grind my teeth recruiting places that thought DIII and NAIA were the same. 

I agree Grand View has some talent on the team ....cant wait too see how Long and the guys hold up against the best around.

I've always thought NAIA as a rough equivalent to Division II. Obviously, the NAIA gives out scholarships (heck, it's possible for an NAIA school to have more scholarships than a Division I school, given that certain grade benchmarks cause some or all of that money to not count towards their limit), and D-3 doesn't, which makes one wonder what planet those people are on who saw NAIA as a D-3 equivalent.

Cletus...... can't beat DT........well ok......but at this point I think Dake beats Taylor in darts, pool, golf, swimming, tennis.........AND yes folk....just my opinion