Sign in to follow this  
newyorkwrestler

Thomasello

Looked very good against colon until getting pinned. Made a mistake on a gutwrench and colon stepped over with the fall. This is exactly why he should be taking an oly redshirt, its just a horrible decision to not redshirt, could have a legit chance at making the team.

He really had the match. He's legit. He was ahead when he tried the gut, not the kind of thing that happens twice. 

Do you really think he could beat Ramos though?

Maybe if he was solely focused on freestyle. I've been impressed by how he's able to flip the switch from folk to free, but it has to be an adjustment with college wrestling underway.

He looks so funny with his head gear, almost like a HS kid. And then he gets down to business.

Maybe if he was solely focused on freestyle. I've been impressed by how he's able to flip the switch from folk to free, but it has to be an adjustment with college wrestling underway.

He's not even focused solely on Folkstyle. He boxes daily and looks to have MMA aspirations as well. He is full till in multiple things. 

Prob not, but he would have a shot for sure. ohio state coaches not doing whats best for their athlete, very selfish.

Roselli is his coach period. Not just for OSU, but for Free too.  He also boxes and trains for future MMA stuff. They don't stop that.  So just chill. 

The olympic redshirt essentially accomplishes the reverse of a regular redshirt.  In a regular redshirt, (usually) you trade your first year of eligibility for a fifth.  In the olympic redshirt, you are trading the year after you would have otherwise graduated for this year.  If his goal is the 2020 team, not redshirting gets him 2018 to train full time freestyle (as opposed to doing it in 2015 if he had taken the reshirt).  In other words, the olympic redshirt is only worth doing if you have a very realistic chance of making the team (Think Snyder).  

Here are the two scenarios for NT

With ORS                                              Without ORS

2015 full time freestyle.                        2015 folkstyle/freestyle mix

2016 folkstyle                                       2016 folkstyle

2017 folkstyle                                       2017 folkstyle

2018 folkstyle                                       2018 freestyle

2019 freestyle                                       2019 freestyle

2020 freestyle                                       2020 freestyle

In my opinion he has a better chance of making the 2020 team by not taking an ORS this time around.  

The olympic redshirt essentially accomplishes the reverse of a regular redshirt.  In a regular redshirt, (usually) you trade your first year of eligibility for a fifth.  In the olympic redshirt, you are trading the year after you would have otherwise graduated for this year.  If his goal is the 2020 team, not redshirting gets him 2018 to train full time freestyle (as opposed to doing it in 2015 if he had taken the reshirt).  In other words, the olympic redshirt is only worth doing if you have a very realistic chance of making the team (Think Snyder).  

Here are the two scenarios for NT

With ORS                                              Without ORS

2015 full time freestyle.                        2015 folkstyle/freestyle mix

2016 folkstyle                                       2016 folkstyle

2017 folkstyle                                       2017 folkstyle

2018 folkstyle                                       2018 freestyle

2019 freestyle                                       2019 freestyle

2020 freestyle                                       2020 freestyle

In my opinion he has a better chance of making the 2020 team by not taking an ORS this time around.  

Exactly.

He's clearly very talented and quite possibly a future Olympian but he really is not in the conversation for legit Olympic team members right now. He is just too raw in freestyle and makes way toon many positioning mistakes for freestyle to be able to get hot for an entire tournament and then win a best of three against someone who has been dedicated to freestyle for years.

2020 is the right goal for him. His teammate Snyder is a different case. Not only does he make fewer positioning mistakes, he was very focused on freestyle for some time even spending a year at the OTC before joining the Buckeyes.

Tomasellos is progressing well beyond any reasonable expectations in my eyes.

his chances of making the 2016 team are greatly diminished by his wrestling folk style, thats all i'm saying.

Saying his coaches are selfish was both stupid and wrong. You know nothing about his situation or his relationship with his coaches. Whom are the same in free and folk.  Lou Roselli, Jeff Jaggers, and Tom Ryan are not selfish. Ryan has given so much to OSU and Hofstra and has let any athlete walk away that needs to.  

it's neither stupid or wrong, it is accurate. 

Dumb wrong and uninformed.  You like to judge from afar and throw stones....****in weak.  If your so confident in your opinion and right to judge, post your name. so the coaches and Nate know who is heckling. Or don't and be weak. 

Edited by Fishhook

I will weigh in here. 

newyorkwrestler: my issue with your statement is that it presumes you understand what his coaches want and what he wants. It also presumes a certain relationship between coach and athlete as well as a lot about who made what decisions. It reads like you are certain that Nate wanted to take an Olympic Redshirt but his stupid coaches wronged him, maybe because they want to win another NCAA championship. We can argue with your logic on several levels. First, the coach is not there simply to serve the athlete. I'm sorry but Ryan has a job and his job depends on winning titles. Think of all the threads in the college board suggesting Iowa State fire KJ. Also you forget that the athlete took a scholarship and therefore has some duty of allegiance to help the team win titles. Snyder took the ORS as one of the very few athletes who ever took it who is a favorite to win a gold. Even if Ryan forced Nate to not olympic redshirt against his will is that really something we should think of as selfish? Couldn't someone else suggest that a freshman NCAA champ with at best a dark horse shot of making the team -- let alone medaling -- is being selfish if he demands an olympic redshirt. I think most people on this board wouldn't presume to know what happened. Maybe someone does, I don't, and that's why I don't get your statement.

And to be clear I very much doubt Nate demanded anything. If I had to guess he asked nicely if he could wrestle some freestyle this year and his coach said yes. Just a guess.

Edited by BigTimeFan

Doesn't matter on Olympic redshirt because he wasn't qualified for it.  He missed the criteria by hair, and he already had the redshirted year which prepared him for the NCAA championship.  So, he was forced to wrestle both NCAA and freestyle while trying to qualify for the Olympic trails.  He got through with 5th place finish.  He will now focus on NCAA as he is now qualified for Olympic trails.

Doesn't matter on Olympic redshirt because he wasn't qualified for it.  He missed the criteria by hair, and he already had the redshirted year which prepared him for the NCAA championship.  So, he was forced to wrestle both NCAA and freestyle while trying to qualify for the Olympic trails.  He got through with 5th place finish.  He will now focus on NCAA as he is now qualified for Olympic trails.

That settles that! Thanks. 

fishhook, don't be so rude, if you have an issue feel free to send me a message instead of being a total jackass on the public forum

So you accuse a coaching staff of selfishly hurting their own athlete without even realizing Tomasello was ineligible for the olympic RS, then you accuse someone else of rudeness and ask that they address it in private?  That is some serious lack of self awareness.

So you accuse a coaching staff of selfishly hurting their own athlete without even realizing Tomasello was ineligible for the olympic RS, then you accuse someone else of rudeness and ask that they address it in private?  That is some serious lack of self awareness.

That settles that. Part 2.

And I had assumed Thomasello wanted to take an oly redshirt, because he has a small chance at making an olympic team in 2016, which is a far superior accomplishment to a national title, which he already has, so it made sense to me, and since he isn't i also assumed his coaches would have pushed him against it. Everyday he trains folk is a day of much less gains and even possible detriment, than one of training freestyle. Apparently fishhook had some inside info that thomasello wanted to train folk this year, and i was mistaken, I think is a silly choice and i was simply voicing my opinion, something most people do on here. I apologize for having offended anyone, with that said fishhook was acting rater hostile towards me, which seemed unnecessary, and childish, one can disagree without name calling and referring to me as a coward, a public forum is not a place for a personal fight, that is why i suggested that.

fishhook, don't be so rude, if you have an issue feel free to send me a message instead of being a total jackass on the public forum

You are calling out my friends and people I respect with no info whatsoever. I have a severe problem with that.  Other people do to.  If you want to call out the OSU coaches do it with your face showing or your name showing.  Otherwise it is incredibly weak and ineffective.  Its called guts: If youhave the guts to say it, then don't so it ****ing incognito.