Sign in to follow this  
newyorkwrestler

Thomasello

And I had assumed Thomasello wanted to take an oly redshirt, because he has a small chance at making an olympic team in 2016, which is a far superior accomplishment to a national title, which he already has, so it made sense to me, and since he isn't i also assumed his coaches would have pushed him against it. Everyday he trains folk is a day of much less gains and even possible detriment, than one of training freestyle. Apparently fishhook had some inside info that thomasello wanted to train folk this year, and i was mistaken, I think is a silly choice and i was simply voicing my opinion, something most people do on here. I apologize for having offended anyone, with that said fishhook was acting rater hostile towards me, which seemed unnecessary, and childish, one can disagree without name calling and referring to me as a coward, a public forum is not a place for a personal fight, that is why i suggested that.

This isn't inside info. Read his interviews and the interviews and discussions with his roommates.  Do some homework before you say something so offensive and aggressive.  You have a problem with what I am saying?  We can gladly talk about this any way you want to. But be real and admit you dont know th efull situation. I have no problem with you thinking Nathan should take an olympic redshirt. I have major problems with you saying the OSU coaches are selfish or are being selfish by not redshirting him.  

Edited by Fishhook

He is about 6-8th on the ladder. He is not making the team. He is not getting through the likes of Dennis, Ramos, Scott, Hazwinkle, Graff, and and throw in guys he is even with like Colon and Nasar.  

not taking an Olympic year is the right call. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Um. It says "Top 3 at the 2015 NCAA Wrestling Championship OR NCAA champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2015 University National Championships (must accomplish both)".

Nathan didn't get top 2 in 2015 university national championships. I believe that Nathan was trying to wrestle through with leg injury that time.

So, he didn't qualify for the Olympic redshirt.

But he was top3 at the 2015 NCAA Wrestling Championships, that's all you need per the wording above.  You need the other two things only if you weren't a 2015 NCAA top3

Edit - think I'm reading that incorrectly, me fail english?  That's unpossible!

Edited by Gantry

The criteria are horribly worded, this is a paste from the criteria newyorkwrestler posted:

There are four ways to qualify for an Olympic redshirt year:

Only required to meet one criteria

1) Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials)

2) Top 8 at the 2015 Senior World Team Trials

3) Top 3 at the 2015 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2015 University National Championships (must accomplish both)

4) Previous Junior or University World Medalist

Number three is the operative one for Nate. The question is, how do you read it? I read number three as meaning:

Either you have to be Top 3 at the 2015 NCAA's OR you have to achieve the following two: (a) top 3 from NCAA's a prev year, and (b) top 2 from the 2015 University Championships. 

But I also read it as meaning:

Either you have to be Top 3 at 2015 NCAA's or any other NCAA's AND also be top 2 from the 2015 University Championships.

Ah, but for a comma. In other words, it's worded in a confusing way.I guess you could argue it either way, but they might have made it more clear.

his chances of making the 2016 team are greatly diminished by his wrestling folk style, thats all i'm saying.

That they are but I fail to see how that makes his coaches selfish. It is certainly in his best folkstyle interests to wrestle this season which is what his scholly is for. He has no RS year to give up. I know you mean it is not in his best freestyle interest. How do we know what's going on in the room? Maybe he doesn't want an Olympic RS year. I just don't see how him not taking one makes their coaching staff selfish

3) Top 3 at the 2015 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2015 University National Championships (must accomplish both)

I don't think this is hard to understand. The word "AND" is in all caps. This would seem to indicate that a wrestler needs to achieve something on both sides of the only fully capitalized word. Therefore, you have to, at the very least, have placed in the top 2 at the 2015 University Nationals. Tomasello did not, thus he did not qualify for an Olympic redshirt, thus making all discussion of what he should or shouldn't have done and the coaches' role in it moot. 

OSU coaches cannot selfishly deny Tomasello an Olympic redshirt for which he is not eligible.