Sign in to follow this  
WalterWhite

Taylor would not beat Dake with a shotgun...

Thats hopefully people do age

He will age no doubt. The real question I always come back to is, "Is JB capable of being in such an elite group that he goes for a total of say 8+ world championships, 3 of them being the Olympics?" As of now he has a total of 4, 3 world, one Olympic. It is certainly possible, but terribly difficult to continue performing at the level has for quite a while longer. Fighting off domestic competition and still performing at an elite level will take its toll... i still give him better than 50/50 to go through 2020 though without giving up his spot and grabbing a career total of 8 combined world/olympic.

Speed and explosiveness are first to go with age. Strength is last to go. JB wrestles a style that is heavily reliant on athletic traits that do not "age well." I think he may have a couple more in him but not any more after that. John Smith can rest assured that he will continue to be the best American ever.

Speed and explosiveness are first to go with age. Strength is last to go. JB wrestles a style that is heavily reliant on athletic traits that do not "age well." I think he may have a couple more in him but not any more after that. John Smith can rest assured that he will continue to be the best American ever.

He did pretty well when he was injured and didn't have his explosiveness

It is funny when a new champ talks about taking on father time. Snyder said he plans to wrestle until he is 40. I laughed because that is just silly. He will be lucky to be our #1 guy at 30. Kevin Jackson made similar statements. Very rare to be over 33-35 or over and just make a team much less place. Cael did it at 32 and placed and that is old when you look at the cumulative ages of world team members. The average age is 25 and it ranges from 19 to 35 with 1% being 19 and 1% being 35 the last 30 years if my numbers are right. Style is important when it comes to longevity. Cael could have went forever being his style is less physical and more technical. Burroughs style is more physical meaning I bet he wears out before or around 30. I bet Metcalf will be very very done next year. The Iowa style is not good for your retirement body. Just ask Lee Fullhart who went from beating Sanderson to losing to 10th ranked guys at 30. Father time is real and comes quicker for some depending on how hard you pounded!

Edited by PRyan2012

JB said he is chasing John smith's record of 6 golds (4 world and 2 Olympic) if he wins 2016 that gives him 2 and 2. I don't think he will now out the year before the Olympics but I don't think he competes for 4 straight either. The wouldn't surprise me if he takes 1 of the next 2 years off. At the very least he won't travel overseas much. He mayhit one or two tournaments heading into the trials, but I think that is about it. I believe you will only see him pop up for the trials and the world's the next couple years and probably only one if the next two. Then3 world championships from now he comes back training prepping for 2020. If he tries to go full bore the next 4 years it will be very difficult for him to hold up. He has had a tire ACL, broken foot, and the leg injury in the last world's over the last 6 years (going back to college). Two of those have happened in the last 2 years. He has to be thinking about preserving his body at this point.

JB said he is chasing John smith's record of 6 golds (4 world and 2 Olympic) if he wins 2016 that gives him 2 and 2. I don't think he will now out the year before the Olympics but I don't think he competes for 4 straight either. The wouldn't surprise me if he takes 1 of the next 2 years off. At the very least he won't travel overseas much. He mayhit one or two tournaments heading into the trials, but I think that is about it. I believe you will only see him pop up for the trials and the world's the next couple years and probably only one if the next two. Then3 world championships from now he comes back training prepping for 2020. If he tries to go full bore the next 4 years it will be very difficult for him to hold up. He has had a tire ACL, broken foot, and the leg injury in the last world's over the last 6 years (going back to college). Two of those have happened in the last 2 years. He has to be thinking about preserving his body at this point.

Doesn't JB now have three World gold + one Olympic gold?

I wonder what a professional odds-maker would say are the chances of Burroughs tying or eclipsing Smith's record of 6 world titles? He's two-thirds of the way from a tie and ranked # 1 in the world at 74 kg.  Here's some additional info:

• Smith was 21 when he won his first title. Burroughs was 23.
  • Smith won 6 titles in a row, retiring after the '92 Olympics.  He was 25, six days short of his 26th birthday
  • Burroughs won 3 in a row, took bronze when hampered by injury, and then won his 4th title.
  • Burroughs is now 27 and will turn 28 a week before the 2016 competition in Rio.

Right now, I'd make it 50-50 on Burroughs winning 6 titles.  Of course, if he wins in Rio (where he's favored) those odds should improve. (JMHO).

Edited by HurricaneWrestling