Sign in to follow this  
John79

Rutgers Wrestling advertisement

While driving along arguably the most heavily trafficked stretch of highway in the US, I saw a billboard that absolutely shocked me.  Rutgers has purchased electronic billboard space along the Lincoln Tunnel spur of 95 that features the wrestling team and Anthony Ashnault.  I thought the purchase was very revealing, i guess it says the men's hoops team stinks and that the Athletic department sees Rutger's wrestling as a potential money maker.  I just hope this optimism stirs the new AD to enact more fund raising for a new wrestling room ! Who would ve thought that a wrestling team get this kind of pub.  Regardless, of your view of RU, you have to agree this a great step for wrestling in general.

Agreed, he def did not approve the billboard and i dont know how long it has been up but outdoor electronic ad buys are purchased a month in advance.

AD was at the Nebraska match so i hope he saw the potential in gate receipts considering no one goes to their hoops games

That's good to see. Advertising in the NYC market is really expensive (though the electronic boards are cheaper than the static boards).

There is no need to disparage other sports. Rutgers basketball doesn't have poor attendance... they are still in the top 25 percent of D1 basketball teams for attendance. It's more like with Penn State where it seems like no one goes because all the sports draw so well but basketball is one of the worst relative to their conference peers.

Disparage other sports? RU stinks , that's a fact. The men's team attendance is #91 in the country averaging 5,700 people per game. It's a joke considering how fertile the recruiting grounds are in NJ. NJ hs hoops are as good as any

Hopefully after a few more years of success, RU wrestling will be the second largest draw after football