TBar1977

Joe Smith vs. I Mart is on!

ok --- do not let I-Mar touch your leg.  He is very strong.  

Smith looked good early but ... I-Mar now kicking tail ...I-Mar just got a reversal in 2nd and now a tilt for backs.

Up 8-1 now after leading 4-1 at end of first.

Sweet low single / ankle pick.  10-2 now.

Dude is an animal.  Feel like we are watching something really special here.

Will he try for the Olympics?  Anyone know?  Would be fun to see him against the best of the best in the country.  Regardless of age.

10-2 going into third.  Free releases.  10-3.  I-Mar with fakes really getting Smith to bite.

Single to right leg.  Locks up cradle!!  I thought ..  But somehow Smith gets behind for the TD!  Huh?

10-5.  Martinez can't be kept down.  Awesome on bottom.  Near reversal but Smith bails.  

11-5.  Martinez in again with Smith Whizzer ... have seen this position a few times with Martinez winning each time but not this time.

OOB called I think.  11-5.    Volume has been off.

11-5 win.  

That was pretty definitive.  Martinez is a lot of fun to watch.  He has a touch of Andrew Howe with how physical he is and how he pressures guys around the mat, but then he is so dynamic and offensive.  

Smith at least didn't break mentally.  He has no chance of winning that match this year, but I was happy he competed to the end.

What a great match John smith's decision must be all on his thinking process with his son are you thinking as his coach or his father I think that'll be the difference in if he redshirts the rest of the season or not because he has flat out proven himself

That was pretty definitive.  Martinez is a lot of fun to watch.  He has a touch of Andrew Howe with how physical he is and how he pressures guys around the mat, but then he is so dynamic and offensive.  

Smith at least didn't break mentally.  He has no chance of winning that match this year, but I was happy he competed to the end.

Not this year, but honestly, I think some day Joe Smith will beat him. He is not as far away as the score made it appear. 

True frosh vs redshirt soph that happens to be undefeated defending NCAA champ. 11-5 loss isn't terrible but from the sound of it not that close. Contrast that with uncle Pat Smith who was pinned when his shirt was pulled. So now the million dollar question is, does Joe get his pulled?

Edited by repechange

True frosh vs true soph that happens to be undefeated defending NCAA champ. 11-5 loss isn't terrible but from the sound of it not that close. Contrast that with uncle Pat Smith who was pinned when his shirt was pulled. So now the million dollar question is, does Joe get his pulled?

Martinez is a redshirt sophomore

True frosh vs true soph that happens to be undefeated defending NCAA champ. 11-5 loss isn't terrible but from the sound of it not that close. Contrast that with uncle Pat Smith who was pinned when his shirt was pulled. So now the million dollar question is, does Joe get his pulled?

Not true soph, redshirt soph. This is I Mart's 3rd year at Illinois, so he has 2 full years on Smith. It wasn't close in terms of Joe Smith having a chance to win, but it was not a routine win for I mart either. Smith fought him off a lot harder than 98% of the wrestlers out there who would have been TF or Fall victims. 

Martinez is a RS Soph.

I think whether Smith gets pulled is more about Marstellar than it is about Smith at this point.  Smith has proven he has a good chance to AA.  He is not a lock, and I think he needs to get better on bottom to beat some of the guys he'll see, but he is good enough to wrestle now.  But I think Marstellar is getting every opportunity as a big time recruit.  Putting him to the bench may be the end of him at OSU (I hope not).  So I like the idea of giving him as long as possible.  I think if Marstellar can't place at the scuffle without the 1 hour weigh ins you see in dual matches, then it's time to pull the plug.  But if he places I feel fine sticking with him into February.  The dual schedule sets up to where Smith is not missing any big opponents between now and the bowl series (WV, Pitt, Missouri, ISU, OU, Cornell, Army, Stanford, NC).  Plus if you were to pull his RS now and then lose a big gun to injury (Dieringer, Crutchmer, Heil), you can't unpull it.

that match was not as dominant as some are making it out to be... JoJo threw IMar on his face in the first... point being, he was equal to IMar's strength and was not big brothered by him like everyone else... impressive showing by both wrestlers...

no way JoJo isn't in the lineup come march... i don't necessarily think he beats IMar then, but, those second place points will be big for the 35th...

Don't see Jo Jo in the lineup this year.

Want to see it, but I just don't.

I still think Chance straightens it out 2nd semester though the data isn't in my favor right now.

Jo Jo is still competing hard and clearly training so no need to do it anytime soon.

For the match:

Imar is special.

Gets away with coming off of singles to the waist which is a cardinal sin in most rooms but due to the fact he is a freak show he can not only get away with it but score.  

I like that Jo Jo tried to wrestle him and not stand there.  That usually is a recipe for an ugly result against Imar but he shot a few bullets and put up some points and a TD.  The turn killed him.

Looks like Imar is coming into form too after a tough beginning of the season for him personally.  He is probably only going to get better as the year advances and though I'm a huge Jo Jo fan, I don't see him cutting the gap this year.

that match was not as dominant as some are making it out to be... JoJo threw IMar on his face in the first... point being, he was equal to IMar's strength and was not big brothered by him like everyone else... impressive showing by both wrestlers...

no way JoJo isn't in the lineup come march... i don't necessarily think he beats IMar then, but, those second place points will be big for the 35th...

Just watched the match and it was as dominating as some are making it out to be. JoJo got rag dolled from bottom for 4 and his only offensive points were off a standing cradle attempt by Imar. It was 8-1 heading into the third and Imar decided to let him up and work on his neutral game instead of looking for more back or it could of been worse. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

F-T, I think in this case I have to disagree.

Joe Smith wrestled with I Mart about as well as any college wrestler not named James Green. Equally as well as Brascetta's quarterfinal match at NCAA's last year, and better than either Dylan Ness or Brian Realbuto wrestled against I Mart. I am not suggesting he could beat I Mart later this year because I don't think he could, but he is definitely getting both stronger and better as a wrestler. 

I hope Nolf can stay with I Mart. Jason never ceases to amaze, but I Mart has power to spare. 

Jo Jo Smith sure has come a long way since last spring's freestyle outings. Mark Hall teched him at the Junior Nationals (semi-finals). Hall is a little bigger and scored six points with a trapped arm gut but it didn't look close. Jo Jo lost in the consis 7-4 to Marstellar (who by the way was defeated in the semis by Nolf).

In the Junior World Team Trials, Jo Jo lost to Logan Massa, I believe 6-0 and then for third and fourth lost to Nolf who himself had lost to Massa who is not known for his freestyle skills. I've watched all those matches but Mass vs Smith and there's a lot to be said for "it was summer", "it was freestyle" but what I'm saying is Smith looked stronger, tougher, more confident at Reno TOC than he did last spring. He's on quite a trajectory.

He and Nolf could meet at the Scuffle. I'm really looking forward to that one.

If JoJo can keep it respectable against IMart, Nolf has a legit chance. I am NOT suggesting Nolf should be favored and yes, I know about the transitive property fallacy, etc. etc. IMart is obviously very talented and a physical freak, but he still makes little mistakes quite a bit and Nolf is aggressive enough to be able to capitalize on some of them and will not fade in the third no matter how much pressure IMart puts on him.

If IMart is smart, he will keep it more conservative against Nolf because going blow for blow for seven minutes plays right to Nolf's strengths.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

If JoJo can keep it respectable against IMart, Nolf has a legit chance. I am NOT suggesting Nolf should be favored and yes, I know about the transitive property fallacy, etc. etc. IMart is obviously very talented and a physical freak, but he still makes little mistakes quite a bit and Nolf is aggressive enough to be able to capitalize on some of them and will not fade in the third no matter how much pressure IMart puts on him.

If IMart is smart, he will keep it more conservative against Nolf because going blow for blow for seven minutes plays right to Nolf's strengths.

I think iMar is just as high paced as Nolf and stronger. One could say if Nolf tries to open up as much as he usually does he will be blown out of the water by iMar. 

Just watched the match and it was as dominating as some are making it out to be. JoJo got rag dolled from bottom for 4 and his only offensive points were off a standing cradle attempt by Imar. It was 8-1 heading into the third and Imar decided to let him up and work on his neutral game instead of looking for more back or it could of been worse. 

I have never seen a tilt described as getting rag dolled.  

But I agree with you it was not close.  Smith wrestled well, but there was not a point in that match where victory was possible.

take away 4 from the tilt and throw in the takedown as time expired and it is a much closer match than the score would indicate... JoJo snapped him on his face in the first... he was not intimidated... it was an impressive showing

i did see IMar pin a kid with that tilt... kid totally gave up in the match... how in the hell do you become a college wrestler and still just give up in a match?

Even Mark Hall started to tire out in the 3rd wrestling against Jason Nolf. I think I Mart is too strong right now for Nolf, but if it is close in the final minute I won't be shocked if they are wrestling at different speeds. Nolf's gas tank is unbelievable.