Richard_Immel

FloFilms "Terry" documentary releases Dec. 30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb8odmR5CvM

Terry Brands v Kendall Cross is perhaps, among the most epic battles of all time, at the most exciting domestic tournament....the Olympic Trials.

Under today's freestyle rules that rewards the takedown artist, Terry wins this match hands down.

A beautiful knee pick, incredibly timed pop elbow to snatch single and front head lock release to chase corner single leg all by Terry makes him a true takedown artist.

Kendall however is a counter move artist.

The ill fated first takedown by Terry, a lighting fast Metzger that was countered just as fast by a Kendall Cross step over with back points.

Add a chest lock counter by Kendall late in the match, sealed the win.

Both of them are true warriors.

Nearly twenty years later, their match has stood the test of time as an all time classic .

Edited by takedownartist

I wanted Brands to win back in 96. I wonder how at that level people move on from major sport disappointments. To us regular folks there is more to life, though I do understand to some people, their sport/craft IS life. Compelling story, but I can't bring myself to support Flo.

Edited by repechange

as a parent of  wrestlers who travel all over the country, flo is invaluable... rarely does the whole family get to go on the trips, so, someone is at home and more often than not able to watch the big tourneys on flo... 

throw in all the high school stuff... the senior stuff... the docs... the previews... the technique libraries... they could charge whatever they want and it would be worth it...

but, as noted above, someone always wants to whine and bitch...

if you are a fan of wrestling then you should be a huge fan of Flo... 

Being a fan of wrestling does not equate being a fan of flo. As I pointed out, I like the idea, but there is plenty of content and "fluff" that I am not interested in. The format seems geared to a younger audience and does not appeal to me. If you happen to like it, that's great, it just is not my thing.

It is hard to spend money on a product with streaming issues. If and when they clean it up, I will consider it. I don't care about kids being on my lawn. I would like to listen to announcers with a professional demeanor.

I guess my point is it's so little money in the scheme of things and if you enjoy wrestling it's a no brainier. Regardless of the streaming issues.

Now if people can't afford it for whatever reason that's a different story

I would assume most here are adults and my point was if you're spending time on forums and can't afford $120 or whatever, they need to focus on their careers and shouldn't be caught dead in here

i have had very few streaming issues with Flo... but, i am not much of a titty baby and don't expect 100% problem free 100% of the time...

and the vast majority of matches i watch do not have anyone commentating except maybe the 16 year old kid running the camera... again, no big deal to me... i do not require some one to dictate the action to me... i am just thrilled to be able to watch my kid or kids that i have some association with that might happen to be wrestling in virginia, or tulsa, colorado, texas, utah, cali, vegas, wisconsin, iowa, ohio, etc. etc.

as far as the price, i pay more to walk my family into one RMN event than i do for a years worth of Flo... if the subscription is too much for you, then you got bigger problems than some choppy video feeds or suspect commentating and should probably reevaluate some life choices... 

i have had very few streaming issues with Flo... but, i am not much of a titty baby and don't expect 100% problem free 100% of the time...

and the vast majority of matches i watch do not have anyone commentating except maybe the 16 year old kid running the camera... again, no big deal to me... i do not require some one to dictate the action to me... i am just thrilled to be able to watch my kid or kids that i have some association with that might happen to be wrestling in virginia, or tulsa, colorado, texas, utah, cali, vegas, wisconsin, iowa, ohio, etc. etc.

as far as the price, i pay more to walk my family into one RMN event than i do for a years worth of Flo... if the subscription is too much for you, then you got bigger problems than some choppy video feeds or suspect commentating and should probably reevaluate some life choices... 

I had Flo and only wanted it for one specific event and they wound up not cancelling when I asked to, and yes I followed their procedure step by step.  Their customer service is terrible.  Long story short, I had to go through a huge hassle with my bank and getting a charge back after I submitted proof I had sent multiple emails attempting to cancel and showing the email from Flo saying I had canceled.  The bank notified me that Flo was contesting it because I hadn't followed their rules, and after they apparently confronted them with the emails Flo backed off and the bank themselves independent of me considered filing fraud charges.  So excuse me for not wanting to go through that hassle with them again.  It's not the money so much as the potential for being ripped off for several hundred dollars is not exactly something I want to put up with.  But hey they're good for the sport so I should just shut up and let them rob me blind right? 

i watched Terry twice tonight... it was awesome...  there is nothing better than wrestling.... nothing means as much... 

this coming from someone who raced motorcycles for 15+ years against national and world champs in a sport that if you fuk up you might not come home the same way you left...

complain about streaming... fuk you... this **** is real as fuk...

So TripNSweep, what exactly do you want them to do at this point? It's not their fault they have no legitimate competitors.

I don't want anything.  And it is too bad there isn't anyone else.  But I'll be damned if I fork over any money to Flo Wrestling willingly again. 

So TripNSweep, what exactly do you want them to do at this point? It's not their fault they have no legitimate competitors.

Not exactly confident in the logic that not having legitimate competitors is an excuse to not deliver a promised service. Professionals are driven by excellence, not nickles and dimes. That said, I like FLO (yes, the announcers are like sugar-crazed 8th graders, but so what) and enjoy the stuff I can access.  

Terry was a solid feature length story. Great work.

I'm waiting for Flo to put in some money and produce a Behind the Iron Curtain video about either a historic Russian story or follow some of the major Russian studs as they prepare for the Olympics.

I watched an ESPN production about the Soviet hockey team that lost in the 1980 Olympics.  It was really good because they went into the history behind Russian hockey and why they were so good for so long.  The coach who began the hockey program at the request of Stalin never played hockey before and had barely watched it.  But he put together great training, drills, strategy and was ahead of his time as far as athletic training went.  When he was beginning the program he actually refused to watch tape of hockey from Canada because he didn't want that to influence how he put the program together.  Then when the Soviets finally came to play a group of Canadian all stars who were all in the NHL they smoked them like 7-2.  The Russians thought the Canadians were a bunch of savages who were brawlers, didn't play as a team and were basically a bunch of goons.  The Soviet coach said that if his best player played Bobby Hull 1 on 1 the Russian player would lose every time.  But if his two best players played 2 Bobby Hulls, his players would win because they understood how to play as a team.  One of the Russians said that the closest a Canadian was to playing their way was Gretzky since he had been doing the same kind of drills and understood how to play the way the Soviets did.  The Canadians skated to the puck, the Soviets and Gretzky skated to where the puck was going to be. 

One really interesting part was they interviewed some of the Soviet players from the 1980 team, and a few of them didn't speak English, and they were asking one of them if he had seen the movie Miracle, based on the USA winning that game.  He seemed genuinely surprised and said that it wasn't a miracle, that they had just been outplayed and lost a game.  Then they asked him if he was going to see it and he laughed and said he wouldn't because he had played the game and knew what happened already so there was no point in watching a movie about it, especially since they had lost.  Their politics and the structure of their hockey program back then was pretty interesting too.  They had some of the best players in the world, who were basically professionals who played hockey all day and got paid to do that, but were technically in the army so they got around the rules the Olympics had then about being amateur athletes.  Then if they played badly or didn't do what the coaches wanted they would threaten to send them somewhere bad that they didn't want to be.  The first Russian player who came to the NHL from that system described in detail how he had to go to the minister of defense and told him that if he wasn't given his release from the army after being promised it for 2 years, he was going to quit playing hockey period.  All the players were on 25 year army contracts, and this guy had played for like 10 years and wanted to go to the NHL.  He had multiple opportunities to defect, but he told somebody that if he did that he was basically dooming any other Soviet players who wanted to come over and play in the NHL.  The minister of defense threatened him and his family and yelled at him, but he was granted his release from the army and got on a plane to the US and immediately signed with the New Jersey Devils. 

They didn't go into some of the cloak and dagger stories about how guys like Mogilny and Federov defected later on, which would have been interesting to hear the Russian perspective on.