Sign in to follow this  
gutfirst

wrestling internet rabbit hole

this is a list of the Gold medalist and can click on every year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_and_Olympic_Champions_in_men's_freestyle_wrestling

This is a list of all American wrestlers who have participated in worlds or Olympics. You can also click on every year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_results_in_men's_freestyle_wrestling

They are ignoring also beach wrestling and grappling (1 article in 1 year). If you have a style you can't ignore it. This is simply scandalous and UWW isn't a world class sport federation. It is simply a second generation of FILA with the same holes.

With UWW Olympic styles have lost weight classes in male divisions. I don't see new big sponsor and after 3 years of words there aren't new uniforms.

Edited by WreslingSuperior

Are you sure? It is a shame that athletes from all over the world train, travel and compete in the UNITED WORLD WRESTLING Pankration (or a non olympic style) world championship and they can't even make a Facebook post.

I had wrote my suggestion to UWW months ago...the answer? Nothing!

I started with Greco Roman 20 years ago, now I compete in freestyle. I really love Olympic wrestling. I'm agree about the core business of UWW is freestyle and greco but these two styles aren't the entire wrestling.

Aren't there much bigger pankration organizations than UWW. pretty sure there are. Just like there are bigger grappling events than those hosted by UWW. If you are using UWW as your only avenue ... I don't know what to tell you. They probably shouldn't be under the UWW banner to start with.

Tournament directors need to provide that stuff. so it works both ways. UWW doesn't "run" those styles they recognize. they also recognize American folkstyle, and you're not seeing any of those results on UWW site either.

I'm agree but pankration/grappling and beach wrestling are international styles.

There's a bunch of international style events that don't have their results on the UWW site either, right?

I just don't think you're going to get much support for pankration and grappling here. A little, but you won't stir up a bees nest here about those two topics.

Sometimes there are a lot of perspectives on the same situation, but it is different in this case :

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/non-olympic-wrestling-styles-discussed-by-fila

"

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, SWITZERLAND (January 21-2014) --Members of the FILA Bureau met with worldwide leaders of the traditional wrestling community to discuss the future of FILA’s support for non-Olympic wrestling styles.

FILA president Nenad Lalovic, FILA vice-president, Mr. Fukuda, FILA secretary general Mr. Dusson and FILA Bureau member Mr. Hamakos gathered with representatives of Pankration, Belt Wrestling and Traditional African Wrestling at the FILA headquarters in Switzerland to show their interest and support of these fundamental disciplines.

President Lalovic reminded everyone of FILA’s priority was to grow the sport of wrestling and serve the athletes of every discipline.

“We want to make sure that all wrestling, styles, Olympic and not, are handled equally,” said Lalovic. “We are vey serious about protecting our traditions.”

The group met for several hours and was able to form critical recommendations, which they agreed would be brought to the FILA Bureau over the coming months.

In addition to its coverage of Olympic styles, the meeting recommended that FILA should publish information concerning Belt Wrestling Championships, Pankration Championships, and Traditional African Wrestling championships on its website. Each participant for these events will also be required to purchase a FILA license for their chosen competition.

The license prices will be the same as for Olympic disciplines, with FILA license holders allowed to participate in all disciplines.

To help organize and administer the variety of needs for each of these non-Olympic disciplines, the group proposed proposed to form the “Department of Non-Olympic Disciplines, “ which would be chaired by Mr. Fukuda (JPN) and consist of three committees: Belt Wrestling, chaired by Mr. Vileita; Pankration/Beach Wrestling, chaired by Mr. Isaev; and Traditional African Wrestling, to be chaired by Dr. Sarr.

These three committees will work independently with all final decisions being validated by Mr. Fukuda.

The group was also reminded that a general meeting will have to be organized each year in order to prepare the schedule and discuss current issues. An elective assembly will also be held every four years in the year following the Olympic Games.

Moreover, the members of the meeting have also expressed the wish that FILA should support them in their participation in various games such as Continental Games and the SportAccord Combat Games.

All of the proposed changed and recommendations will need to be confirmed by the FILA Bureau, but the competition schedule and additional information concerning the non-Olympic disciplines will be published on the FILA website over the coming months. "

Edited by WreslingSuperior

Old news, but Smith's bracket in 92 was crazy, the Cuban beat him, but he still won the pool and the right to wrestle for 1st/2nd. If you watch the video, the Cuban is pretty sure he won the spot for the first place match (celebration). It must have been strange with the pool system, were there coaches/fans calculating classification points and keeping point totals up to date real time to let the athletes/coaches know the situation as quickly as possible? I'm curious how long it took for Smith to realize he won the pool even with the loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_at_the_1992_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_freestyle_62_kg

Here's the pool match with the Cuban:

Think things are complicated now? Here's the legend of how to read the bracket:

Legend
  • D2 â€” Both wrestlers disqualified for passivity (0–0 score)
  • DO â€” The winner has not scored technical points
  • E2 â€” Both wrestlers disqualified for rules violation
  • EF â€” Win by withdrawal (the loser does not classify)
  • EV â€” Disqualification from the entire competition, for violation of the rules
  • PA â€” Win by injury default or withdrawal
  • PO â€” Win by decision (1–11 points margin) and loser has no technical points
  • PP â€” Win by decision (1–11 points margin) and loser has technical points
  • SO â€” Win by superiority (12–14 points margin) and loser has no technical points
  • SP â€” Win by superiority (12–14 points margin) and loser has technical points
  • ST â€” Win by technical superiority (15 points margin)
  • TO â€” Win by fall
  • CP â€” Classification points
  • TP â€” Technical points

They are ignoring also beach wrestling and grappling (1 article in 1 year). If you have a style you can't ignore it. This is simply scandalous and UWW isn't a world class sport federation. It is simply a second generation of FILA with the same holes.

With UWW Olympic styles have lost weight classes in male divisions. I don't see new big sponsor and after 3 years of words there aren't new uniforms.

There has been a lot going on with Beach Wrestling over the past year, but I agree that should be a better job of spreading the word. Just over a year ago, UWW created an international Beach Wrestling meeting, and UWW board members have been quoted on many occasions that they would like to get this style included into the Games. They also included a Beach Wrestling Pan-Am Championships in 2015, although it wasn't held alongside the rest of the Pan-Ams. More nations are participating every year, and it's starting to grow in South America now too (including the growth of the Brazil Cup). A great change made last January was switching out the touch-rule to takedowns, which is something I've been pestering them for a few years, citing that one objective of Beach Wrestling is to serve as an introductory style to our mat-styles, they should use the same takedown scoring as the mat style. Even though they have made the chance to takedowns, there were still many nations using the touch-rule, which tells us we aren't getting the news of the rule-changes efficiently. Something we need to work on, and something I work hard at trying to help.

With that being said, I'm also willing to help clubs who are hosting beach wrestling contests spread the word with the Sand Wrestling website, and this year want to create "facebook events" for all of those contest to help boost the numbers. If anyone has a contest and would like me to spread the word, or have questions about this style, please send me an e-mail at robertteet@yahoo.com. I will do my best to help.

And I totally agree about Grappling, we need to do more to get the info out there. The U.S. has been a 5-style country for over a decade now, yet far too many wrestlers don't realize it, which means we are slipping at promoting our sport. If wrestlers don't know about them, then the general population doesn't have a clue.

BWRules.png

There has been a lot going on with Beach Wrestling over the past year, but I agree that should be a better job of spreading the word. Just over a year ago, UWW created an international Beach Wrestling meeting, and UWW board members have been quoted on many occasions that they would like to get this style included into the Games. They also included a Beach Wrestling Pan-Am Championships in 2015, although it wasn't held alongside the rest of the Pan-Ams. More nations are participating every year, and it's starting to grow in South America now too (including the growth of the Brazil Cup). A great change made last January was switching out the touch-rule to takedowns, which is something I've been pestering them for a few years, citing that one objective of Beach Wrestling is to serve as an introductory style to our mat-styles, they should use the same takedown scoring as the mat style. Even though they have made the chance to takedowns, there were still many nations using the touch-rule, which tells us we aren't getting the news of the rule-changes efficiently. Something we need to work on, and something I work hard at trying to help.

With that being said, I'm also willing to help clubs who are hosting beach wrestling contests spread the word with the Sand Wrestling website, and this year want to create "facebook events" for all of those contest to help boost the numbers. If anyone has a contest and would like me to spread the word, or have questions about this style, please send me an e-mail at robertteet@yahoo.com. I will do my best to help.

And I totally agree about Grappling, we need to do more to get the info out there. The U.S. has been a 5-style country for over a decade now, yet far too many wrestlers don't realize it, which means we are slipping at promoting our sport. If wrestlers don't know about them, then the general population doesn't have a clue.

BWRules.png

One objective of Beach Wrestling is to serve as an introductory style to our mat-styles, totally agree. I think that others styles like grappling and pankration have an important role : the martial aspect of Wrestling. You can also see a lot of wrestlers over 35 fighting in these styles...

Today there are also young wrestlers attracted to submission and mma/striking so if you have a club with pankration and grappling programs you have a big advantage.